2008 Grammy Thread - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2008, 11:38 PM   #271
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:19 AM
This really has been a pretty decent show compared to the last few years!

Old 02-10-2008, 11:39 PM   #272
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
This really has been a pretty decent show compared to the last few years!

Old 02-10-2008, 11:42 PM   #273
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:19 PM
I love how Kanye had already conceded a possible defeat to Amy earlier, and then was beat by someone else.

Do not underestimate the supreme majesty of Joni Mitchell, especially when combined with the legendary talents of Herbie Hancock. This was a refreshing win, because modern jazz goes largely unappreciated by the mainstream.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:42 PM   #274
ONE
love, blood, life

Other than the bullshit that was Album of the Year, this as a whole, is probably the best Grammys I've ever seen.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:44 PM   #275
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
I love how Kanye had already conceded a possible defeat to Amy earlier, and then was beat by someone else.

Do not underestimate the supreme majesty of Joni Mitchell, especially when combined with the legendary talents of Herbie Hancock. This was a refreshing win, because modern jazz goes largely unappreciated by the mainstream.
I realize that Herbie Hancock is talented. However, I think it's completely unfair that an album full of someone else's songs wins an award by the artist doing the covers over original material. Just an opinion.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:47 PM   #276
Blue Crack Supplier

Who won in that Alternative category with Arcade Fire, Bjork and others???

ETA: Never mind. The answer is on the official website on the winners list!
Old 02-10-2008, 11:49 PM   #277
The Male

I find it strange that Herbie Hancock was nominated for album of the year without being nominated for pretty much anything else. It's obviously a pat-on-the-back after years of ignoring the guy, rather than a deserved Grammy. As much as I love them, the same thing happened with Steely Dan in 2001.

Now.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:50 PM   #278
Refugee

Local Time: 12:19 AM
Herbie with Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, and Tina Turner guest vocals beats out Kanye?

Love it!!
Old 02-10-2008, 11:52 PM   #279
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
I find it strange that Herbie Hancock was nominated for album of the year without being nominated for pretty much anything else. It's obviously a pat-on-the-back after years of ignoring the guy, rather than a deserved Grammy. As much as I love them, the same thing happened with Steely Dan in 2001.
I hate it when they do that. The same thing happened at the Oscars last year with Martin Scorcese finally winning Best Director...for The Departed. Honestly, it's more of an insult to the artist when they do something like that than it is to the other nominees. It's basically saying, "Sorry we passed on your brilliance earlier, but just in case you're not around much longer here's an award for some subpar work to make us look better."
Old 02-10-2008, 11:52 PM   #280
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:19 PM
Wow, I go away and actually do some work for a few hours and this thread explodes!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:01 AM   #281
ONE
love, blood, life

http://www.grammy.com/Grammy_Awards/50th_show/list.aspx

That's the link to the complete list of winners!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:04 AM   #282
The Male

Icky Thump was simply NOT the best alternative album of the year. Not even out of those nominees. It was good, but not great. Neon Bible and Wincing The Night Away were far better.

And Chemical Brothers winning over Sound Of Silver?

Oh, well. At least Winehouse got her due.

Now.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:04 AM   #283
Blue Crack Supplier

Neon Bible was robbed!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:05 AM   #284
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Neon Bible was robbed!
x infinity....+1
Old 02-11-2008, 12:06 AM   #285
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

Steely Dan put out a great album that received great reviews. While not their best album, it was as deserving a nominee and winner as much as anything else there. Did you really expect something as marginal as Kid A, or as divisive as Eminem to win? Becker and Fagen are respected as two of the best songwriters in the business, and have seasoned professionals playing on their albums, engineered to perfection. Their win was not a crime, even if it seemed like a lifetime achievement after their 20 year absence.

As for Hancock, jazz, unlike rock or pop, is hard to get nommed in any crossover categories, and it wouldn't be likely to be up for Song of the Year or Record of the Year. So to say he wasn't nommed for anything else isn't really notable--he also won for Best Contemporary Jazz album, obviously

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest
I hate it when they do that. The same thing happened at the Oscars last year with Martin Scorcese finally winning Best Director...for The Departed. Honestly, it's more of an insult to the artist when they do something like that than it is to the other nominees. It's basically saying, "Sorry we passed on your brilliance earlier, but just in case you're not around much longer here's an award for some subpar work to make us look better."

Just because The Departed wasn't one of Marty's best doesn't mean he didn't deserve the award. It's the same thing as Steely Dan. He still directed his film better than anyone else who was nominated, regardless of the weight of the subject matter. Sure, I would have liked to have seen him win one of the last two times before that, but whatever. Is it a partial make up award? Obviously the voters thought the film was good enough to give it Best Picture and Best Screenplay as well.

Herbie Hancock didn't just cover a bunch of Joni Mitchell songs. He used her lyrics and music as a jumping-off point, and some of those songs have wildly different arrangements. It's more of a collaboration than anything else, and a far more deserving Ablum of the Year winner than Natalie Cole, who won (over Achtung Baby) with an album duetting on previously recorded songs with her dead father. That's a bullshit win, as were Eric Clapton and Tony Bennett's Unplugged albums winning.