2007 Grammy Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
Sunday evening... I think the rumor is that The Police are to open the show. :up:

There are a zillion categories/fields, but here are just the few I picked out. I did leave out R&B, Rap, Jazz, Country, Polka, etc. Sorry - you can visit the Grammy's site with the complete list at:
http://www.grammy.com/GRAMMY_Awards/49th_show/list.aspx

For recordings released during the Eligibility Year
October 1, 2005 through September 30, 2006
Note: More or less than 5 nominations in a category is the result of ties.

Category 1

Record Of The Year
(Award to the Artist and to the Producer(s), Recording Engineer(s) and/or Mixer(s), if other than the artist.)

Be Without You
Mary J. Blige

You're Beautiful
James Blunt

Not Ready To Make Nice
Dixie Chicks

Crazy
Gnarls Barkley

Put Your Records On
Corinne Bailey Rae
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Category 2

Album Of The Year
(Award to the Artist(s) and to the Album Producer(s), Recording Engineer(s)/Mixer(s) & Mastering Engineer(s), if other than the artist.)

Taking The Long Way
Dixie Chicks

St. Elsewhere
Gnarls Barkley

Continuum
John Mayer

Stadium Arcadium
Red Hot Chili Peppers

FutureSex/LoveSounds
Justin Timberlake
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Category 3

Song Of The Year
(A Songwriter(s) Award. A song is eligible if it was first released or if it first achieved prominence during the Eligibility Year. (Artist names appear in parenthesis.) Singles or Tracks only.)

Be Without You
Johnta Austin, Mary J. Blige, Bryan-Michael Cox & Jason Perry, songwriters (Mary J. Blige)

Jesus, Take The Wheel
Brett James, Hillary Lindsey & Gordie Sampson, songwriters (Carrie Underwood)

Not Ready To Make Nice
Martie Maguire, Natalie Maines, Emily Robison & Dan Wilson, songwriters (Dixie Chicks)

Put Your Records On
John Beck, Steve Chrisanthou & Corinne Bailey Rae, songwriters (Corinne Bailey Rae)

You're Beautiful
James Blunt, Amanda Ghost & Sacha Skarbek, songwriters (James Blunt)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Category 4

Best New Artist
(For a new artist who releases, during the Eligibility Year, the first recording which establishes the public identity of that artist.)

James Blunt

Chris Brown

Imogen Heap

Corinne Bailey Rae

Carrie Underwood

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Field 1 — Pop

Category 5

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance
(For a solo vocal performance. Singles or Tracks only.)

Ain't No Other Man
Christina Aguilera

Unwritten
Natasha Bedingfield

You Can Close Your Eyes
Sheryl Crow

Stupid Girls
Pink

Black Horse And The Cherry Tree
KT Tunstall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Category 6

Best Male Pop Vocal Performance

You're Beautiful
James Blunt

Save Room
John Legend

Waiting On The World To Change
John Mayer

Jenny Wren
Paul McCartney

Bad Day
Daniel Powter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Category 7

Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal
(For established duos or groups, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

My Humps
The Black Eyed Peas
Track from: Monkey Business

I Will Follow You Into The Dark
Death Cab For Cutie
Track from: Plans

Over My Head (Cable Car)
The Fray
Track from: How To Save A Life

Is It Any Wonder?
Keane
Track from: Under The Iron Sea

Stickwitu
The Pussycat Dolls
Track from: PCD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Category 8

Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals
(For a collaborative performance, with vocals, by artists who do not normally perform together. Singles or Tracks only.)

For Once In My Life
Tony Bennett & Stevie Wonder
Track from: Duets: An American Classic

One
Mary J. Blige & U2
Track from: The Breakthrough

Always On Your Side
Sheryl Crow & Sting
Track from: Wildflower

Promiscuous
Nelly Furtado & Timbaland
Track from: Loose

Hips Don't Lie
Shakira & Wyclef Jean
Track from: Oral Fixation Vol. 2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Category 11

Best Pop Vocal Album
(For albums containing 51% or more playing time of VOCAL tracks.)

Back To Basics
Christina Aguilera

Back To Bedlam
James Blunt

The River In Reverse
Elvis Costello & Allen Toussaint

Continuum
John Mayer

FutureSex/LoveSounds
Justin Timberlake
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Field 4 — Rock

Category 15

Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance

Nausea
Beck

Someday Baby
Bob Dylan

Route 66
John Mayer

Saving Grace
Tom Petty

Lookin' For A Leader
Neil Young
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Category 16

Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal
(For duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

Talk
Coldplay

How To Save A Life
The Fray

Steady, As She Goes
The Raconteurs

Dani California
Red Hot Chili Peppers

The Saints Are Coming
U2 & Green Day
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Category 17

Best Hard Rock Performance
(For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

Crazy B****
Buckcherry

Every Day Is Exactly The Same
Nine Inch Nails

Lonely Day
System Of A Down

Vicarious
Tool

Woman
Wolfmother
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Category 18

Best Metal Performance
(For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

Redneck
Lamb Of God

Colony Of Birchmen
Mastodon

Lies, Lies, Lies
Ministry

Eyes Of The Insane
Slayer

30/30-150
Stone Sour
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Category 19

Best Rock Instrumental Performance
(For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, without vocals. Includes Rock, Hard Rock and Metal. Singles or Tracks only.)

Chun Li's Flying Bird Kick
Arctic Monkeys

The Wizard Turns On...
The Flaming Lips

Black Hole Sun
Peter Frampton

Castellorizon
David Gilmour

Super Colossal
Joe Satriani

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Category 20

Best Rock Song
(A Songwriter(s) Award. Includes Rock, Hard Rock & Metal songs. For Song Eligibility Guidelines see Category #3. (Artist names appear in parenthesis.) Singles or Tracks only.)

Chasing Cars
Nathan Connolly, Gary Lightbody, Jonny Quinn, Tom Simpson & Paul Wilson, songwriters (Snow Patrol)
Track from: Eyes Open

Dani California
Flea, John Frusciante, Anthony Kiedis & Chad Smith, songwriters (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Track from: Stadium Arcadium

Lookin' For A Leader
Neil Young, songwriter (Neil Young)
Track from: Living With War

Someday Baby
Bob Dylan, songwriter (Bob Dylan)
Track from: Modern Times

When You Were Young
Brandon Flowers, Dave Keuning, Mark Stoermer & Ronnie Vannucci, songwriters (The Killers)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Category 21

Best Rock Album
(Vocal or Instrumental. Includes Hard Rock and Metal.)

Try!
John Mayer Trio

Highway Companion
Tom Petty

Broken Boy Soldiers
The Raconteurs

Stadium Arcadium
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Living With War
Neil Young
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Field 5 — Alternative
Category 22

Best Alternative Music Album
(Vocal or Instrumental.)

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
Arctic Monkeys

At War With The Mystics
The Flaming Lips

St. Elsewhere
Gnarls Barkley

Show Your Bones
Yeah Yeah Yeahs

The Eraser
Thom Yorke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Category 80

Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
(Award to the Artist(s) and/or Producer(s) of a majority of the tracks on the album, or to the individual(s) actively responsible for the concept and musical direction and for the selection of artists, songs and producers, as applicable.)

Brokeback Mountain
Various Artists
Gustavo Santaolalla, producer

Cars
Various Artists
Chris Montan & Randy Newman, producers

Grey's Anatomy — Volume 2
Various Artists
Mitchell Leib & Alexandra Patsavas, producers

Little Miss Sunshine
Devotchka (& Various Artists)
Mychael Danna, producer

Walk The Line
Joaquin Phoenix (& Various Artists)
T Bone Burnett, producer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Field 31 — Music Video
Category 107

Best Short Form Music Video
(For an individual track or single promotional clip. Award to the Artist and to the Video Director/Producer.)

8th Of November
Big & Rich
Robert Deaton, George Flanigen & Marc Oswald, video directors; Robert Deaton, George Flanigen, Steve Lamar & Marc Oswald, video producers
[Warner Bros.]

When You Were Young
The Killers
Anthony Mandler, video director; Everardo Gout, Gina Leonard, video producers
[Island Def Jam]

Here It Goes Again
OK Go
Dan Konopka, Damian Kulash, Jr., Timothy Nordwind, Andy Ross & Trish Sie, video directors; Dan Konopka, Damian Kulash, Jr., Timothy Nordwind, Andy Ross & Trish Sie, video producers
[Capitol]

Dani California
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Tony Kaye, video director; Rachel Curl, video producer
[Warner Bros.]

Writing On The Walls
Underoath
Anders Forsman, Ragnar Granstrand & Linus Johansson, video directors; Maria Berggren, Anders Forsman, Ragnar Granstrand & Linus Johansson, video producers
[Solid State/Tooth & Nail]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Category 108

Best Long Form Music Video
(For video album packages consisting of more than one song or track. Award to the Artist and to the Video Director/Producer of at least 51% of the total playing time.)

Flow: Living In The Stream Of Music
Terence Blanchard
Jim Gabour, video director; Robin Burgess & Jim Gabour, video producers
[Jazziz Music & Video]

Directions
Death Cab For Cutie
Noah Gelb, Nicholas Harmer, Jill Kaplan & Aaron Stewart,video producers
[Atlantic]

Demon Days — Live In Manchester
Gorillaz
Damon Albarn, David Barnard, Grant Gee & J.C. Hewlett, video directors; Kersti Bergstrom, Stefan Demetriou, Simon Jones & Claire Oxley, video producers
[Virgin]

I'm Going To Tell You A Secret
Madonna
Jonas Akerlund, video director; Susan Applegate, Angela Becker, Keeley Gould, Shelli Jury & David May, video producers
[Warner Bros.]

Wings For Wheels: The Making Of Born To Run
Bruce Springsteen
Thom Zimny, video director; Thom Zimny, video producer
[Columbia]

Last edited:
It will be Gnarls Barkley, since they were the golden band of 2006.

I personally think the Flaming Lips should win, Mystics is a killer album. :up:

Actually, as long as Arctic Monkeys loses, I'm alright.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I personally think the Flaming Lips should win, Mystics is a killer album. :up:

:up: Lips will also win for best instrumental. I guarantee it.

Crazy needs to win record of the year though...it's a modern classic.

I wonder if Apple will make the Beatles announcement during the Grammys?

:hmm:

hmm...2006 was kind of a boring year for popular music. Beyond Gnarls Barkley and the Chili Peppers there wasn't much going on. most of the songs nominated are awful. but I guess it's always that way.

AtomicBono said:
hmm...2006 was kind of a boring year for popular music. Beyond Gnarls Barkley and the Chili Peppers there wasn't much going on. most of the songs nominated are awful. but I guess it's always that way.

The "Song of the year" category is :yikes:

I'll be watching. I love swearing and/or throwing things at my TV in temporary rage when something I hate wins. :wink:

LemonMelon said:

The "Song of the year" category is :yikes:

the only song from that category that I recognize is by James Blunt. That song was everywhere. I don't hear much new stuff anymore.

<<Runs to grab her 60s, 70s, 80s, and a few 90s CDs. And a select few from the 21st century ;)

I think song and record of the year is a toss up between Dixie Chicks and James Blunt (gag). Crazy SHOULD win, but I don't see it winning.

Although who knew Green Day would win for "Boulevard of Broken Dreams"? that one had felt like a long-shot for me that year.

I could have sworn that Carrie Underwood song came out just after she won American Idol ... how did it end up being in the date range for this years Grammys?

As for Corinne Bailey Rae ... I'm baffled that song is nominated for song/record of the year (I know it's not both, but I can never remember which songs were nommed in which category).

I remember a few years ago when that god-awful "Daughters" song by John Mayer won for either song or record of the year. VOMIT.

Lila, there's a place for you and Maddie on my virtual couch. I've got soda, you bring the popcorn. :wink:

corianderstem said:
I think song and record of the year is a toss up between Dixie Chicks and James Blunt (gag). Crazy SHOULD win, but I don't see it winning.

Although who knew Green Day would win for "Boulevard of Broken Dreams"? that one had felt like a long-shot for me that year.

I could have sworn that Carrie Underwood song came out just after she won American Idol ... how did it end up being in the date range for this years Grammys?

As for Corinne Bailey Rae ... I'm baffled that song is nominated for song/record of the year (I know it's not both, but I can never remember which songs were nommed in which category).

I remember a few years ago when that god-awful "Daughters" song by John Mayer won for either song or record of the year. VOMIT.

Lila, there's a place for you and Maddie on my virtual couch. I've got soda, you bring the popcorn. :wink:

can i join you guys? :sad: I am alone here this weekend and for the next 5 weeks. Hubby is out to sea..(is in the navy):(

Here's my guesses for a few of the major categories.

Record of the Year: James Blunt

Song of the Year: Dixie Chicks

(Honestly, I could flip-flop those. I think each of them will win one of those two awards.)

Album of the Year: Dixie Chicks

New Artist: James Blunt

(Hopefully the "New Artist Curse" will remain in effect, and James Blunt will subsequently go far, far away.)

Female Pop Vocal: KT Tunstall

Male Pop Vocal: James Blunt or Daniel Powter

Pop Group/Duo: My Humps.

Yeah, I'm serious. Don't they give Grammys for crap songs? :wink:

Honestly though, I don't know that any of the other nominees were a better pick. Death Cab For Cutie right up next to Black-Eyed Peas and the Pussycat Dolls? Don't make me laugh. DCfC are obviously a good band, but they don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning that.

U2Fanatic4ever said:

can i join you guys? :sad: I am alone here this weekend and for the next 5 weeks. Hubby is out to sea..(is in the navy):(

Fo sho. But with Maddie and Lila, my couch is now full, and you might have to sit on the floor. Or my computer chair. :wink:

Lila64 said:
Sunday evening... I think the rumor is that The Police are to open the show. :up:

There is truth to that :drool: Can't wait, praying for King of Pain or Synchronicity :happy:

and hopefully after this appearance there will still be a tour :wink:

Re: my guess of "My Humps." I didn't say it was the best song, I just try and guess what will win. :wink:

Here's the list again:

Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal

My Humps-The Black Eyed Peas (shitty? yeah. ubiquitous? yeah. It became a pop-culture catchphrase. I just have this weird feeling about it. It's not a good feeling, believe me.)

I Will Follow You Into The Dark-Death Cab For Cutie (will never win in a million years)

Over My Head (Cable Car)-The Fray (at least it wasn't that "How To Save a Life" song, which makes me want to kick puppies)

Is It Any Wonder?-Keane (I like the song, but it won't win.)

Stickwitu-The Pussycat Dolls (If they're going to give the Grammy to a Big Dumb Pop song, they'll go with My Humps instead of this one.)

As for the Police, I could see them doing a medley.

corianderstem said:

Fo sho. But with Maddie and Lila, my couch is now full, and you might have to sit on the floor. Or my computer chair. :wink:

no problemo, I'll just bring my reclining lounge chair..:wink: I 'll bring the nachos and margaritas! :D

U2Fanatic4ever said:
no problemo, I'll just bring my reclining lounge chair..:wink: I 'll bring the nachos and margaritas! :D

Extra tequila for mine, please. I'll need it if my prediction comes true and My Humps wins a Grammy.

:wink:

i can't think of an award with less credibility than the grammys.

as much as i love thom yorke, i hope he doesn't win, just so he doesn't have to accept an award from people who felt it fit to nominate james blunt THAT many times.

Most of the rumors point toward The Police opening the show with Roxanne.

Come on awards for art are always going to be affected. There is no objective way to judge art, it's not like math...

Can Escher and Picasso be in the same category? Some would say yes, some would vomit at the suggestion.

Can Yorke and Blunt be in the same contest? Some would say yes and some would rather die? Can Yorke and Dylan be in the same category...

When it comes to music award nights, it's all meant to be fun. That's it, don't kid yourself in thinking it's anything other than that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom