2007 French Open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GibsonGirl

ONE love, blood, life
I'm surprised no-one has made a thread yet.

So, will it be Federer's year? I'd love to see him finally win the French Open. I think Nadal's going to make it difficult, however... It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he took his third French Open title in a row. On the women's side, I'm setting my sights on Serena.

Here's hoping Federer can pull through. He really is a champion. You couldn't wish a nicer bloke success.

There'll be a dark horse in the mix somewhere, like a Puerta or a Gaudio or a Verkerk

I looks to be an easy trip to the semi-finals for Federer with the exception of a possible match against Safin. It should be even easier for Nadal.

Semi's
Federer vs. Gasquet
Baghdatis vs. Nadal (I really think Baghdatis will force Nadal to go mobile for most of the match and take it in 4 sets.)

Final
Federer vs. Baghdatis (Federer wins on intelligent, percision play.)

On the women's side I could see Safina knocking off Serena in the fourth round and Sharapova making it to the semi's as long as she doesn't play Mauresmo.

Semi's
Henin vs. Demenieva (Henin will take it in 3 sets)
Kuznetsova vs. Sharapova (Kuznetsova will frustrate Sharapova with her quickness and ability to meet each volley resulting in lots of errors for her opponent in the 2nd and 3rd set.)

Final
Henin vs. Kuznetsova (Henin wins out of sheer will with her record on clay since 2005 being 47-3.)

Hmm, it would be interesting to see Baghdatis beat Nadal, if only to have someone different in the final... I'm honestly getting rather tired of Federer vs Nadal. They're usually cracking matches, no doubt about it, but I can't stand Nadal. Watching him for even one set is pure torture for me. :lol:

I wouldn't mind if Justine won again. She's my second favourite female tennis player at the moment. I've been a fan ever since she her first Wimbledon final against Venus. Still, I miss seeing the Williams sisters fighting for the big grand slam titles... After winning the Australian Open, I think Serena's going to give it her all for the French. I really hope she can win this one.

Yeah, tennis needs a couple more rivalries. Unfortunately, rivalries are born in the semi's and finals which have been dominated by a couple players. I also agree about Nadal. Is it even possible to be afraid of a man playing tennis in capri pants?

With no more Capriati and Davenport, Justine has become my favorite female tennis player as well. I love how calm and businesslike she is on and off the court.

I'm not sure I miss the Williams sisters fighting for grand slams because the game didn't have the parity we have today. I actually hope that they don't return to that level so that what's happening in men's tennis doesn't come to the women's game.

I hope Roger gets it. He's a class act, and I'd hate to see his career defined by him not winning it, kind of like Sampras.

Where Pete never did that well on clay, Roger has shown he can play on any surface. He just happens to run into Nadal who pretty much owns it.

Go Roger!

Henin is my fave player on the cricuit by a long way, so I'm hoping she pulls through and will hopefully back it up by securing her first Wimbledon title.

Sharapova is an admirable fighter, and there's some classy players coming through the ranks, namely Jankovic and Ana Ivanovic.

I've often wondered about Dementieva, whenever I see her play, she rarely appears to be as brilliant as her ranking suggests.

intedomine said:
Henin is my fave player on the cricuit by a long way, so I'm hoping she pulls through and will hopefully back it up by securing her first Wimbledon title.

Sharapova is an admirable fighter, and there's some classy players coming through the ranks, namely Jankovic and Ana Ivanovic.

I've often wondered about Dementieva, whenever I see her play, she rarely appears to be as brilliant as her ranking suggests.

I have a lot of respect for Sharapova's intensity and ability to match any opponent's energy. I'm a real fan of the Russian players. Their style of play is a flashback to the days of Chris Everett. When Roddick and the Williams sisters came on to the stage, a lot of people predicted that power was going to dominate tennis and yet the opposite is true today. I think the quickness, agility and return ability of Dementieva and Sharapova make them the prototype players of the future.

Tamira Paszek put up an amazing fight against Justine Henin in the first set today. :ohmy: She came back from being down 5-love to tie it at 5-5! It certainly didn't happen because Justine was having a bad day, either - Paszek won those points squarely with sheer nerve. And she's only 16. She didn't win the match of course - there's a very good reason why Justine is ranked where she is - but I was suitably impressed with Paszek's performance. I have a feeling she'll be one to look out for in the years to come... I love seeing these younger tennis players while they're still developing their skills.

I'm looking forward to Serena's match tomorrow. Sure, the Williams sisters don't have the flair of, say, the Russians, but I still really like them. :wink: They're such nice people, on and off the court. I bet you TSN isn't going to air the match, though. They'll be too busy focussing on Nadal's match. :blahblah: I seriously HATE Nadal. And his stupid capris!

I really wish there was better coverage of the French Open in Canada. They didn't even show Federer's match. Had a hockey discussion programme on instead. :| The Wimbledon coverage is great, but their coverage of all the other grand slams is seriously lacking.

I hope hope Baghdatis wins. I love him. Nadal is an arrogant prick and I hate Federer like I hate Shumcacher - too successful.

Haha, we only have like two Aussies left. That's hilarious!

Roger Federer can't exactly help it that he's currently the best tennis player in the world. :shrug: He's successful because he plays nearly perfect tennis. I can't really see that as a reason to hate him. I mean, even personality-wise there's not much one can say against him. He's a brilliant player and a hell of a nice guy. Yes, it might be a bit boring in the sense that you know he's almost always going to win. Even so, I love watching him play just to see the kind of shots he's able to come up with. He seems superhuman at times.

I agree fully about Nadal, however. :banghead: He's a good tennis player...it's just that his arrogant attitude turns me off completely.

I honestly think that if one does not appreciate watching Federer play, then one does not appreciate the sport. And, he is not unbeatable, just close. And, by all accounts, he is really well liked by most players on the tour...do not understand how he could be disliked, but, so be it.

I'm pulling for Federer as well, though I think Nadal is a pretty clear favourite. Sure, Federer wins everything, and maybe it does get a bit boring, but he's winning everything in pretty amazing fashion, which is awesome to watch.

I don't see Nadal as all that arrogant. :shrug: The constant fist-pumping and bicep-flexing does get a bit much but from all I've read, he seems to be a rather nice guy off the court, even if he is totally relentless on it. His athleticism truly is quite amazing though, and physically, he has an advantage - especially on clay - over everybody else.

I'd love to see a Federer-Nadal five set epic in the final, with Federer just edging it.

On the women's side, I'd really like to see one of the younger stars make a run. Also, there's not much hype around Amelie Mauresmo this year, so she may be a long-shot - would be a nice story for her to finally win the French.

Hewitt does give Nadal a run for his money in the "prick" stakes, but cos he's an Aussie he's gotta get the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe I'll learn to appreciate Federer as I get older. I'll admit he does have some good shots.

I remember two players distinctly - Gael Monfils - is he out yet? And an Asian bloke who really served it up to Federer a couple of years ago at the Aussie open. He still lost in three, but he showed a fair bit.

I sort of feel sorry for Mauresmo because she is one of the best talents in tennis but just doesn't have the mental toughness to be successful in grand slams. :(

To answer your question COBL, Monfils was knocked out by Nalbandian in the third round and I think the other name you're looking for is Paradorn Srichaphan. He sort of disappeared after that.

Srichaphan's tennis has tapered off somewhat in recent years, but he's apparently sleeping with some stunning Miss Universe contestant, so full credit to him...

Nalbadian vs Davydenko is about to start. Should be a hell of a game!

^that was really good. I thought Schnyder deserved to win, though... As predicted, Davydenko vs Nalbandian was a great match.... anyone seen it?

I think I started watching those girls in the 3rd set, when it was 5-4. It could have gone either way. And then Schneider might have been thrown off by that call near the end where she had put her hand up. Oh well. I don't follow much, but I do end up watching some on Sunday mornings when it airs here. Just not enough hours in the day for everything...

An Henin-Federer double would be a dream result, and it's still on the cards as we reach the last eight

Screwtape2 said:
I sort of feel sorry for Mauresmo because she is one of the best talents in tennis but just doesn't have the mental toughness to be successful in grand slams. :(

To answer your question COBL, Monfils was knocked out by Nalbandian in the third round and I think the other name you're looking for is Paradorn Srichaphan. He sort of disappeared after that.

That's the name I had in mind, I thought it was another bloke, but that seems to fit the mould.

Hewitt's so stuffed tonight. :lol:

COBL_04 said:

Hewitt's so stuffed tonight. :lol:

Oh, definitely. :lol: So far Nadal's creaming him 3-6, 1-2 and is just about to break his service. This will be over in three sets. I used to like Hewitt, but his game has seen a serious dip in quality over the years. It's a little unfair that he has to face Nadal. Tough luck in the seeding. Although he would have faced Federer if he was in the other half, so it doesn't matter anyway.

Anyone miss good old Goran Ivanisevic? :sad:

Moya seems like the only thing between another Federer/Nadal final. I could see his match with Nadal being tight but he seems like a guy who will try to match Nadal's athleticism which is near impossible. I really hope Moya has the patience to overcome the capri pants.

:hyper: How about those quarterfinal matches? Justine against Serena and Jankovic against Kuznetsova. :combust: I have a feeling that the semi's and finals will be a bit of a letdown after those.

Justine/Serena is going to be epic. I'll be thrilled no matter who wins!

Back
Top Bottom