2007 Celebrity/Famous People Passings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
TV's Clueless Everyman Tom Poston Dies at 85
Versatile Actor Spiced Up 'Newhart,' 'Steve Allen Show'

By BOB THOMAS, AP
LOS ANGELES (May 2) - Tom Poston , the tall, pasty-faced comic who found fame and fortune playing a clueless everyman on such hit television shows as "Newhart" and "Mork and Mindy," has died. He was 85.

Poston, who was married to Suzanne Pleshette of "The Bob Newhart Show ," died Monday night at home after a brief illness, a family representative, Tanner Gibson, said Tuesday. The nature of his illness was not disclosed.

Bob Newhart remembered Poston as a "versatile and veteran performer and a kindhearted individual."

"Tom was always the `go-to guy' on `Newhart' in addition to being a good and longtime friend," Newhart said in a statement Tuesday.

Billy Crystal, who starred in the 1978 film "Rabbit Test" in which Poston also appeared, was another admirer.

"How rare that a gentle, sweet person could be so incredibly funny," Crystal said in a statement. "I grew up watching Tom on 'The Steve Allen Show ' as a kid. What an incredible gift to become friends with him and to learn about comedy from a true professional. He was a combination of Stan Laurel and Jack Benny. We will all miss him."

Poston's run as a comic bumbler began in the mid-1950s with "The Steve Allen Show" after Allen plucked the character actor from the Broadway stage to join an ensemble of eccentrics he would conduct "man in the street" interviews with.

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/t...s/20070501171109990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PORTSMOUTH, Va. (May 1) - Tommy Newsom, the former backup bandleader on "The Tonight Show" whose "Mr. Excitement" nickname was a running joke for Johnny Carson, has died. He was 78.

Newsom died of cancer at his Portsmouth home Saturday, according to his nephew, Jim Newsom.

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/t...n-foil-tommy-newsom-dies/20070430135309990001

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Other passings so far this year:

Roscoe Lee Browne
Calvin DeForest (aka Larry Bud Melman)
Richard Jeni
John Inman
Tige Andrews (on the original TV Show 'Mod Squad')
Anna Nicole Smith
Yvonne De Carlo (aka Lily Munster)
Ron Carey
Sidney Sheldon
Dabbs Greer (Little House On The Prairie)

~R.I.P.~

Last edited:
I liked Tom Poston. :( I didn't realise he was 85.

Back
Top Bottom