2005 to be best year for music in recent memory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
That is, if all these awesome bands delivering albums (and this is just the first half of the year!) manage to do a good job of it:

Beck
The Decemberists - Picaresque
Underworld
Massive Attack
Outkast
Broken Social Scene - Windsurfing Nation (?)
The Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics (best title ever)
Doves - Some Cities
Spoon
The Notwist
Caribou (used to be Manitoba)
Primal Scream
Sigur Ros

and those that I'm pretty but not super excited for... or just think will be of interested to others:
And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead
Tori Amos
Grandaddy
Idlewild (don't really know 'em, but I know people here dig 'em)
Coldplay
B.R.M.C.
New Order
Queens of the Stone Age
Oasis
Nine Inch Nails
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Bright Eyes
Hot Hot Heat

And that's not even counting for all the albums that haven't been announced yet or slipped under the radar, and the possibility of some great debuts (many of my fav albums this year are debuts..)

Last edited:
Shit indeed. You are right on both counts.

Easy to forget Trail of Dead because it leaked back in September lol. And people thought the U2 album was way early...

Last edited:
Re: Re: 2005 to be best year for music in recent memory

anitram said:

I have real high apple pie in the sky hopes for this one! I hope they can pull it off.. I mean they've already had back to back almost masterpieces (soft bulletin and yoshimi) so if the new one sucks I could even forgive them. But if it's completely awesome. well. that would be awesome.

Sigur Ros
Hot Hot Heat
Bright Eyes
M83
Weezer

Last edited:
i'm looking forward to a bunch of those albums, as well as a few others. agnostic front, street dogs, and far from finished in particular.

Re: Re: Re: 2005 to be best year for music in recent memory

SkeeK said:

I have real high apple pie in the sky hopes for this one! I hope they can pull it off.. I mean they've already had back to back almost masterpieces (soft bulletin and yoshimi) so if the new one sucks I could even forgive them. But if it's completely awesome. well. that would be awesome.

I would LOVE a great new album so that I can see some of the songs live. I've only seen them once and I'd love to experience that again soon.

Speaking of M. Ward have you heard a compilation called The Late Great Daniel Johnston - Discovered Covered??? All kinds of bands are on this including The Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, Death Cab For Cutie, TV On The Radio, Tom Waits, Eels etc. etc. including a gorgeous rendition of Daniel Johnston's "The Story Of An Artist" by none other that M. Ward!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2005 to be best year for music in recent memory

anitram said:

I would LOVE a great new album so that I can see some of the songs live. I've only seen them once and I'd love to experience that again soon.

Was that at Sarstock? I haven't ever seen them live. I was going to see 'em at lollapalooza this summer, and that was going to be completely amazing. but then it got cancelled. eeegads.

of course, it could be all those artistes decide to deliver the weakest album of their careers

fingers crossed, no.

i'll be spending loadsamoney next year, you can count on it.

I'd just like to add another little album to the list and confirm that it doesn't suck.. in the sweet debuts category...

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
(the franz ferdinand of 2005 if they get good enough marketing, though maybe too dark for de mainstream)

the thing is, even if those bands deliver mediocre albums, they're still going to be a lot better than a lot of other stuff that's out there.

roger miret & the disasters
the briggs
squared off
there's the dropkick murphys singles collection that's coming out, but that's not exactly new (i'm sure it will be new to a lot of people who will be buying it, but all those songs are out there and not totally inaccessible - i've heard them), but apparently a new album is in the works

and i'm sure there's something else i'm forgetting.

Well, im also very much looking forward to some tours in the upcoming year, already have tickets for

Wilco
Interpol

And of course I will be attending a couple U2 shows im sure, and many others, damn I love a good concert.

Mogwai, "Government Commissions (BBC Sessions 1996-2003)" Released February 21st.

’Hunted by A Freak’ (recorded at Maida Vale 21st May 2003)
’R U Still in 2 It’ (recorded at the Hippodrome 22nd December 1996)
’New Paths to Helicon Part II’ (recorded at Maida Vale 20th January 1998)
’Kappa’ (recorded at Maida Vale 23rd August 1998)
’Cody’ (recorded Maida Vale 23rd August 1998)
’Like Herod’ (recorded Maida Vale 28th October 1997)
’Secret Pint’ (recorded at Maida Vale 10th April 2001)
’Superheroes of BMX’ (recorded at the Hippodrome 22nd December 1996)
’New Paths to Helicon Part I’ (recorded at Maida Vale 20th January 1998)
’Stop Coming to My House’ (recorded at Maida Vale 21st May 2003)

As well I believe that The Mars Volta have an album due next year.

:up:

SkeeK said:
I'd just like to add another little album to the list and confirm that it doesn't suck.. in the sweet debuts category...

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
(the franz ferdinand of 2005 if they get good enough marketing, though maybe too dark for de mainstream)

maybe comparing them to the go! team would be closer? i dunno, that's what i've heard anyway.

regardless, 2005 looks great! bss, sigur ros, wooh.

Elvis Presley said:

already have tickets for
Wilco

:up: :up: :up: :up:
You are in for one of the best shows you'll ever see. Wilco have ruined me, ruined me I tell you, for live shows. There's not another band in America right now that even comes close, imo.

I'm excited about a few things on this list and yet all I can do is whine because I want new Radiohead.

Last edited:
cujo said:

As well I believe that The Mars Volta have an album due next year.

:up:

I forgot The Mars Volta

I already listened to The Widow (first single) and Cygnus... Vismund Cygnus

both songs are very good, more than good...

Kate Bush is supposedly going to release a new album in 2005. Since she hasn't released new material in something like 10 years and I'm a big fan, this is very exciting. :hyper:

(am also excited about Beck and Doves)

Bono's shades said:
Kate Bush is supposedly going to release a new album in 2005. Since she hasn't released new material in something like 10 years and I'm a big fan, this is very exciting. :hyper:

Seriously? holy shit! I had not heard that.. that would be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom