2005-2006 College Football (USA)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a load

USC falls ass backwards

into another win. Really, did you hear those announcers? "Why, he, he was running like a fullback on that play."

:shrug: fullbacks don't fall ass backwards into the end zone

Let the ass kissing begin.........

That game will be one of the all-time great games in history. Two great teams going to war, yet maintaining the classiest rivalry in college football.

:up: to Notre Dame

That was brilliant. So, through a cruel twist of fate, I had to work today. I made a decision to not know what happened until I could watch the game at home. I made it all the way through my shift, and half way through the 3 quarter before I had to cheat. The ending was breathtaking. Matt's 4 down pass was a thing of beauty. That guy who caused the fumble is my new best friend. Then Matt's ballroom dancing lessons paid off. Brilliant.

Oh and Reggie Bush just won the Heisman. End the race now.

yesterday was one AMAZING day of football, the best I've seen in years.

ND-USC, PSU-MICH, MINN-WISC

and my CAVS beat the Seminoles!!!

u2 related, in the beginning of the fourth quarter of the LSU-FLA game they were showing highlights of the game and playing "ONE STEP CLOSER" along with it, kind of surprised me.

For Honor said:
What a load

USC falls ass backwards

into another win. Really, did you hear those announcers? "Why, he, he was running like a fullback on that play."

:shrug: fullbacks don't fall ass backwards into the end zone

well... technicaly fullbacks push forward, and then just keep their feet moving after the first hit and hope to pick up a few extra yards... which is baisicly what happened... leinart was stuffed, but didn't go down, kept his feet moving, and was able to be on his feet long enough to be able to fall into the endzone.

so the comparison is a valid one... despite the fact that he simply fell into the endzone.

trust me... i'm not a usc butt kisser... i was rootin' hard for the irish yesterday. but you've gotta give leinart his due...

all i was saying as USC approached the line on that final play giving the spike signal was one simple word... "marino."

and low and behold... fake the spike, but run it in... gutsy call. but alas, if you remember back to the infamous Jets-Dolphins fake spike game... who was the coach of tne New York Jets at the time, and baisicly lost his job because of the devestating fake spike game loss? None other than Pete Carrol... go figure.

what a game.

a massivly over-hyped game that actually lives up to, and maybe even surpases the hype?

haven't had one of those in a long long time. :up:

Last edited:
trojanchick99 said:
That was brilliant. So, through a cruel twist of fate, I had to work today. I made a decision to not know what happened until I could watch the game at home. I made it all the way through my shift, and half way through the 3 quarter before I had to cheat. The ending was breathtaking. Matt's 4 down pass was a thing of beauty. That guy who caused the fumble is my new best friend. Then Matt's ballroom dancing lessons paid off. Brilliant.

Oh and Reggie Bush just won the Heisman. End the race now.
:up: :up:

:whistle:

I'm getting better at not saying something that ...... well.... you know.

I still can't believe how some people are talking about the game. Obviously hype is involved, yes, but... I don't know. It's one of those things that makes you an ass or a legend, as in, if "golden boy Matt" actually didn't make it, or turned the ball over. But few people can fall ass-backwards into the endzone quite like that.

It makes me laugh everytime I see it on TV, and the sportscaster gushes with infatuation. Credit to USC for being good, and talented, and well coached, etc. But sometimes there'snothing like being lucky.

I will probably be telling my grandkids about the time USC won three national championships in a row, and still have a laughand grimace when I speak of a certain quaterback falling ass-backwards into the endzone.

Falling "ass backwards", "lucky" or not, USC is still the Number 1 College Football team in America. They are in a stretch where they are playing 5 away games in 7, and they're still undefeated.

Leinhart "falling" into the endzone is only result of everything that made that drive the greatest (so far) in USC and maybe College Football history (that remains to be seen at the end of the season). It's easy to discount the significance of this victory when you don't like the team.

OK, aside from the ND-USC game, a couple of things from Saturday:

1. The art of the intentional safety. 2 Big Ten teams cost themselves at least a chance to win because of not considering this.
The first being Michigan State, whose entire coaching staff must've taken stupid pills, starting with the special teams brain fart just before halftime. But to my point...3 minutes left, 4th and 27 from your own 2 yard line, trailing by 4. [Dennis Hopper Voice}What do you do hotshot? [/Dennis Hopper voice] You don't try to punt from a short formation to Ted Ginn Jr who is already standing on your side of the field. You need a TD to win anyway, so you take the safety, go down by 6, free kick from the 20 and hopefully pinn OSU around their 30 and play D, hoping to get a shot with a minute or 2 left.
But no...they punt, Gimm returns it inside the MSU 30, a couple plays later OSU scores to salt the game away.

Case 2... minnesota. Now this wasn't reaslly a case for an intentional safety, leading by 3 and punting from near your goal line with 30 seconds left, but when the snap is botched, a well coached punter wouldn't try to punt on the run, resulting in a block for TD and a loss...he needs to turn around an boot that puppy straight out the back of the endzone, safety. Now you still lead by 1, and you get to free kcik with 30 seconds left, forcing Wisc to drive 30-40 yards to set up a long FG attempt with no timeouts.

My last Big Ten point is why isn't Michigan forced to try the extra point after scoring to go up 2 as time expires. I know the extra point won't matter, but in college a blocked PAT can be returned by the defense for 2 points, so theoretically Penn St. still has a shot to tie. The refs are supposed to know this and have Michigan attempt the point. If Michigan is smart, they just take a knee, but one never knows.

Anyway, quite a Saturday. Kind of glad it was rainy here so I could stay home and play channel surfer.

being in D.C. there are rarely any PAC10 games on, USC included even though their top ranked.

So this is the first time all year I've seen Reggie Bush play. That guy is amazing, he is definetly leading the heisman race.

Not good news; I'll be in Syracuse next week and be in a fix to try to find a West Coast feed (SC v. Washington)...I was shocked last year when I was in Toronto and came strolling into the bar at 11:30 pm just in time to catch the 2nd half of SC v. Oregon ...the bar had to kick me out at their closing time....:(

I doubt you'll find USC-UDub on regular TV in the Cuse...but you're sure to find Syracuse-Pitt, a game that has all the makings of a bona fide cure for insomnia.:wink:

For Honor said:
:whistle:

I'm getting better at not saying something that ...... well.... you know.

I still can't believe how some people are talking about the game. Obviously hype is involved, yes, but... I don't know. It's one of those things that makes you an ass or a legend, as in, if "golden boy Matt" actually didn't make it, or turned the ball over. But few people can fall ass-backwards into the endzone quite like that.

It makes me laugh everytime I see it on TV, and the sportscaster gushes with infatuation. Credit to USC for being good, and talented, and well coached, etc. But sometimes there'snothing like being lucky.

I will probably be telling my grandkids about the time USC won three national championships in a row, and still have a laughand grimace when I speak of a certain quaterback falling ass-backwards into the endzone.

i don't know why you can't believe that people are still talking about the game... it was only one of the most hyped games of all time, and it surpased the hype.

and you need to get off the "fall-ass-backwards" kick... most goal-line TD's involve the runner getting stopped on the first hit and then keeping his feet moving to push the ball forward. it's a common play... get over it.

It was certainly one of the greatest regular season games in a long long time.
The hype was huge, but for once, as Headache points out, the game not only lived up to the hype, it actually surpassed it. Regardless of whether Leinart went int the endzone foreward, backward or standing on his head while spitting nickels, the play call was gutsy, bordering on stupid. With 7 seconds left, if he doesn't get in, USC loses. Remember they were only down 3, a FG ties the game, so Leinart could have thrown a quick slant and tried to win the game, and if it wasn't there, they had the afety net of OT since a pass from the 1 yard line wouldn't take all 7 seconds. Carroll decided to play all or none and won, a crazy move that paid off, cementing USC's and his legacy. Meanwhile Notre Dame got to show a national audience they are in fact back. Even losing this game, Charlie Weis couldn't have dreamed of a better recruiting tool, expect ND to be back as a national force for years to come when the recruits Weis brings in as a result begin performing.

All that being said, I will predict here and now that your National Champ this season will be Texas.
USC's defense isn't as strong as Texas'.
I think USC could lose to Cal, if not, Texas beats them.

Mr. BAW said:
Not good news; I'll be in Syracuse next week and be in a fix to try to find a West Coast feed (SC v. Washington)...I was shocked last year when I was in Toronto and came strolling into the bar at 11:30 pm just in time to catch the 2nd half of SC v. Oregon ...the bar had to kick me out at their closing time....:(

Off-topic - anyone know a good sports bar or steakhouse or night life near Syracuse Airport, I land 10 pm Friday...wife and her friends will drive in on Saturday so I've got the "darkness" to deal with "on my own...:shifty: "

they're saying that ND already has the #1 and #2 QB recruits in the nation signed...

and that new facility they have is amazing... the team is certainly on the right track to returning to their one time glory days.

i predict a national title out of ND within the next 5 years... something you couldn't say even last year.

and another note... if reggie bush isn't the #1 pick in the draft this year, there's something seriously wrong.

NewsFlash...

Alabama backup QB arrested on DUI charge

October 17, 2005
NORTHPORT, Ala. (AP) -- Alabama backup quarterback John Parker Wilson was arrested and charged with driving under the influence.

Wilson was arrested early Sunday and posted bond, Northport Police Lt. Kerry Card said Monday. Card said the player was not involved in an accident.

The freshman, who turned 20 on Monday, has played in three games this season for No. 5 Alabama and is 3-for-3 with a 36-yard touchdown pass. He beat out Marc Guillon for the No. 2 job behind Brodie Croyle in spring practice.

Coach Mike Shula had no immediate comment, spokesman Larry White said.

I guess Jimmy Barnes gets pushed up a notch if he wishes to dump the redshirt.......:hmm:

For Honor said:

Credit to USC for being good, and talented, and well coached, etc. But sometimes there'snothing like being lucky.

Of course they are lucky. Championships are about luck. Remember the "Immaculate Reception"? In order to win consistantly, you have to be lucky. Remember Neb vs Misery in '97?

Anyways, it wasn't pretty but that game was monumental. Check out this video from the ND Student section. USC ND Video Clips (warning profanity in the second)

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Falling "ass backwards", "lucky" or not, USC is still the Number 1 College Football team in America. They are in a stretch where they are playing 5 away games in 7, and they're still undefeated.

Leinhart "falling" into the endzone is only result of everything that made that drive the greatest (so far) in USC and maybe College Football history (that remains to be seen at the end of the season). It's easy to discount the significance of this victory when you don't like the team.

Heh heh heh, okay. I guess it may be the greatest drive in USC history, but let's not get too smoochy smoochy here. CFB History? I don't think so.

:kiss: :kiss: = :shame: :no: :der:

Oh, I totally agree about discounting signifigance. Things like that happen all the time. But since no one else here is playing the role of the non-USC fan, I figure some balance is needed.

Oh yes -
Leinhart "falling" into the endzone is only result of everything that made that drive
- Damn straight. Up to that point in the sentence, I agree with you. ML finished off the drive, there was a lot that went into it.

and you need to get off the "fall-ass-backwards" kick... most goal-line TD's involve the runner getting stopped on the first hit and then keeping his feet moving to push the ball forward. it's a common play... get over it.
:laugh:

Heh, I don't mean to offend anyone. No, it is not a common play for a QB to fall ass- backwards into the endzone. I do not agree with that at all. I laugh everytime I see the play, not just from the image, but also from the way people melt when they talk about it.

Besides, I thought being ass-backwards was in style these days?? :laugh:

Of course they are lucky. Championships are about luck. Remember the "Immaculate Reception"? In order to win consistantly, you have to be lucky. Remember Neb vs Misery in '97?
Honestly, I wasn't quite around for either. (at least in CFB terms)

However, point taken.

and another note... if reggie bush isn't the #1 pick in the draft this year, there's something seriously wrong.

:up: I do not mind if Reggie wins the Heisman at all. He ran well.

I saw no ass-backwardness eminating from him. :laugh: - I hope y'all understand that I'm taking an exceptionally lighthearted tone to this all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom