2005-2006 College Football (USA) - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2005, 02:54 PM   #406
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:12 PM
Actually, Oregon is 5th in the BCS, FSU 22nd:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/abcsports/BCSStandings

I still would rather play Oregon than FSU, given a choice.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:00 PM   #407
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:12 PM
I agree that the Duck's got f----ed...they busted their asses all year long, #5 in the polls and then get shafted in the end due to a computer....a 4-loss team should not be in the BCS's regardless of their reputation....I would have also loved to have seen Penn State v. Notre Dame...

Why can't they go 1 v 2, 3 v 4, 5 v 6....??????

Old 12-07-2005, 03:31 PM   #408
Blue Crack Addict

The new ACC championship game ended up doing the opposite of its intent, it sent a less than deserving participant to the BCS.
Without that game, 1 loss Va Tech represents the ACC and nobody grumbles that they don't belong. But FSU looks out of place in there with 4 losses, but they won the big one and earned the right under the (still flawed but improved slightly) system.
It could be argued that 1 loss Oregon was more deserving of an at large bid than 2 loss ND and Ohio State, but the BCS has its "Notre Dame clause" for a reason, they Irish will send droves of fans to Tempe and the TV ratings will probably be second only to the Rose Bowl. OSU's 2 losses came to Texas and Penn St, so they certainly are worthy, and like Mr. BAW said, Oregon's feasting on a couple of cupcakes in September hurt them.

I would have preferred the matchup of ND vs Penn State.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:49 PM   #409
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
The new ACC championship game ended up doing the

I would have preferred the matchup of ND vs Penn State.
A great match-up that would have been!
Old 12-07-2005, 03:50 PM   #410
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
The new ACC championship game ended up doing the opposite of its intent, it sent a less than deserving participant to the BCS.
I would argue that the intent of the Conference Championship game is just to make more money.

Oregon was hurt by two things. Low ranking in the early portion of the season and their non-conference schedule. Fresno was a very good team, unfortunately that loss to SC just did them in for the year.

The BCS is only designed to give the 1 v 2 matchup. After it does that it's considered a success. Why do you think they are hyping this Rose Bowl so much? Just to say, SEE the BCS does Work!

Personally, I say just go back to the old bowl system. That way, 'SC can play at it's winter home every year
Old 12-07-2005, 08:57 PM   #411
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by trojanchick99

The BCS is only designed to give the 1 v 2 matchup. After it does that it's considered a success. Why do you think they are hyping this Rose Bowl so much? Just to say, SEE the BCS does Work!
The thing is that it only "works" when there are exactly two undefeated teams. This is precisely the case in which the BCS formula is unnecessary.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:04 AM   #412
War Child

Local Time: 04:12 AM
FSU is a better team than Oregon.

Inconsistent they might be, but the Noles beat Miami and Va Tech. What has Oregon done this year that even approaches either of those two wins? Their only game vs. top level competition resulted in a 32 point beat down in front of the home fans.

OOC schedules:

Oregon: Hou, Mont, Fresno
FSU: Miami, The Citadel, and UFla.

You can't compare won-loss records exclusively when one team is much more willing to take scheduling risks than the other.

*Notice I'm not arguing that Oregon didn't have a more consistent season or isn't BCS-worthy. FSU was lucky as hell to get into the ACC championship game.

But, they are the better team.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:25 AM   #413
War Child

Quote:

I would argue that the intent of the Conference Championship game is just to make more money.

And you'd be correct, albeit indirectly.

Championship games were made neccessary when some leagues expanded to 12 teams. They had to divide the schools into two divisions for scheduling purposes, hence the need for a showdown for all the marbles.

And why did the ACC, SEC, and Big12 expand? The money man, the money.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:06 AM   #414
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Clark W. Griswold, Jr

OOC schedules:

FSU: Miami, The Citadel, and UFla.

Miami is no longer on OOC game for FSU, both now reside in the ACC.
So FSU's 3 OOC games were in fact Citadel, Syracuse and Florida.
The in state game vs Florida happens every year, so I wouldn't call scheduling the likes of the Citadel and a horrendous Syracuse team as "taking scheduling risks".

Bowden's team is gonna get pummeled by Joe Pa's in the Orange Bowl. (As would Oregon)
Old 12-08-2005, 11:37 AM   #415
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Clark W. Griswold, Jr

The money man, the money.

"that;s what it's all a-bout!"

Oh well.

I'm just looking forward to the bowls........

Anyone know when they start putting them on TV?
Or has it already begun?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:53 AM   #416
Blue Crack Addict

Dec 20.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:42 PM   #417
War Child

Location: in the land of the GEORGIA BULLDOGS...WOOF WOOF WOOF
Local Time: 12:12 AM
It'll be interesting to see what happens in the congressional hearings on the BCS (which stands for "Bullsh*t Championship Series--by the way). It's nothing but a friggin' racket. i don't know a single person that doesn't want a playoff series...oh well, i guess a girl can dream....
Anyway, i want to congratulate my GEORGIA BULLDOGS on winning a most excellent SEC championship game!!!! did anyone see it? i was there--almost peed my pants in that blazing first quarter!!!! that's the best we've looked all season, and it couldn't have come at a better time.
GOOOOO DAWGS!!! SIC 'EM!! WOOF WOOF WOOF
Old 12-09-2005, 01:30 PM   #418
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

The thing is that it only "works" when there are exactly two undefeated teams. This is precisely the case in which the BCS formula is unnecessary.
But the BCS will argue that in the old system, USC and Texas would not play with 'SC in the Rose against Penn St and Texas in the Fiesta.

Just to be clear, I HATE the BCS. A playoff would be ideal, but I really don't think it would happen. The Bowl system is too entrenched. There is an argument that you could use the Bowls for the playoffs, but that creates an excessive travel expense to the schools and the fans.

The ideal senario is playoffs with the finals at a "neutral" site like the Rose Bowl.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:07 PM   #419
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think a more ideal situation would be what the lower level divisions do. The top ranked teams can host the lower seeds, and then the championship can be held at a neutral site.

The only problem is $$$$$$. The NCAA is so tied up with it, that it's completely blind to what a majority of fans and colleges want.

And they can't keep pulling the "kids need time to study" crap. Look at basketball. These kids are travelling, or practicing every single day, with multiple games a week. They manage to survive. It's just that every football game is a big draw in the stands, and on tv. Where b-ball isn't really until March looms near.

Also, we're adding another game to most school's schedule. So the really good teams have a opportunity to play 14 games instead of 11-12. How can they back their "student-athlete" agenda now?

Just give us the playoff. People will watch, adverts will bring in the money...it's time to get rid of the bowl system entirely.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:51 PM   #420
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

But the BCS will argue that in the old system, USC and Texas would not play with 'SC in the Rose against Penn St and Texas in the Fiesta.

Yes, we hear this argument all the time, and it makes me sick. It's like arguing that the Yugo is the perfect car because it's better than the Edsel.

If there are exactly two undefeated teams, you could use human polls, computer polls, a selection committee made up of football-watching chimpanzees or a magic 8-ball and it'd yield the "right matchup".