2005-2006 College Football (USA) - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2005, 01:34 AM   #346
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:17 PM
Uh, yeah, well, Tom Osborne won three national championships, and (in my opinion) deserved a fourth one in 1993 as well. He's a nice guy, his players played hard for him, but he's not exactly a football genius.

How hard can it be to win with guys like Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Mike Williams, etc.?

College football is about recruiting, first and foremost. SC would have been successful if they ran a wing-T and a 2-0-9 defense.

I can think of two college coaches in the last ~15 years who truly had superior strategic skills: Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier. Every other successful coach won because they were playing with larger chip stacks.

Old 11-22-2005, 02:49 AM   #347
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Reggie Thee Dog

That'll definitely happen..........

in 2007.

They play Nebraska in Lincoln
2006 they go out to the coast. It will be an interesting matchup.

At the beginning of this season, on a Husker message board, I said that my benchmark for Bill Calahan will be playing against USC in 2007, at home. I'm not saying it must be a win or else he should be fired, but I feel that it will be an appropriate amount of time for him to install his system, make sure he has good coaches, and get some decent recruits.

I think even BobDevany said "the most important thing a coach can do is recruit well", and I agree with him in that respect (I think I spelled his name right... but he was an NU coach in the 70s and such). Objectively speaking, since more regulations have been placed on recruiting, and with the NFL's image changing, NU simply didn't adapt. I'm not saying that "the option" is not a good offense to run, I'm just saying that, obviously, the team didn't do what it takes to remain at the front of the league.

what, specifically, they didn't do, though, is something I can't really say. I am quite a new fan to college football, as I've said in the past. still....

I am looking forward to USC v UN in the future. And as far as Texas and USC in the big game, well, I'll definitely be watching it. It should be a good game.

Old 11-22-2005, 02:57 AM   #348
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by For Honor

I think even BobDevany said "the most important thing a coach can do is recruit well", and I agree with him in that respect (I think I spelled his name right... but he was an NU coach in the 70s and such). Objectively speaking, since more regulations have been placed on recruiting, and with the NFL's image changing, NU simply didn't adapt. I'm not saying that "the option" is not a good offense to run, I'm just saying that, obviously, the team didn't do what it takes to remain at the front of the league.
These days, you don't necessarily have time to implement a five-year plan, as Tyrone Willingham learned the hard way. He could have done well this year with Notre Dame, but his decision to run a west coast offense with Carlyle Holliday wasn't so hot -- he would have been much better advised to stick with an option and play-action attack that year.

Bill Callahan would have done well to stick with Nebraska's power running game last year and gradually phase in the new offense.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:44 PM   #349
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:17 PM
Couple of things:

I haven't watched Nebraska all year, but I was wondering if Callahan had altered his offense. I ask this, because if he continues to try to run the true WCO it won't work. That offense is too complicated to run effectively in college as it takes 4 years to master.

I still do not understand why they fire Solich to hire Callahan. I just don't understand.

USC Defense. Yes this year 'SC's D hasn't been as statistically dominant as in past years, but they still do one thing very well. They force Turnovers. Since Pete Carroll has been at 'SC here is where USC ranks in Turnover margin:

2005, USC is #1 in turnover margin.
2004. USC was #1 in turnover margin.
2003 USC was #2 in turnover margin.
2002 USC was #5 in turnover margin.
2001 USC was #5 in turnover margin.
2000 USC was 113 out of 114 ("Coached" by Paul Hackett)

My point is while 'SC has great talent, they also have found a coach that can exploit it. Just look at what PC did in '01 with mostly Hackett's recruits.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:35 PM   #350
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

Bill Callahan would have done well to stick with Nebraska's power running game last year and gradually phase in the new offense.
I agree. I think that would have prevented NU's first losing season in 41 years but so be it. I think it also would have been easier on the fanbase, and made it a lot more paletable; saying "I respect the tradition and want to change slowly" would come across more nicely than "I'm here, it's the new era, do it my way, now"

But handling the offensive transition isn't the first thing the program could have done better. :ugh:

=

I totally agree, the true WCO can't be run in the NCAA, and I even in the NFL i hear about all these modifications. BC, from what I do know (I can't "see" many games), has modified the offense, and there has been improvment in critical areas like completion percentage........................ but........

the offensive line is really a liability this year, and when that happens, it doesn't really matter what you run. A LOT of NU fans are totally upset about that, especially when, for years, NU simply lined up and went through people but so it is.

Quite frankly, I don't understand the firing of coach Solich myself. I don't have any major issues with it, because it has happened and it's over now. But.... regardless of the 9-3 record, he was hand picked by the legendary Tom O. Sure, recruiting was bad for a while.....

But I started becoming a fan the year he got fired, so I really don't know what the amosphere was like

Maybe more later...... I gotta eat!!
Old 11-28-2005, 06:42 PM   #351
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Random Thoughts from the Bye week:

Does anyone else here hate the "Prevent" Defense? As it was mentioned during the telecast, it only prevents you from winning. Ugghh. The Trees nearly had a great upset. Oh, and Brady Quinn is highly overrated.

I find it amusing that Reggie Bush may have clinched the Heisman this week, without playing.

I wished I could have watched Nebby destroy the buffs. I just really dislike that team. Of course, since Iowa St choked, the buffs still get to play in the Big 12 "Championship Game".
Old 11-28-2005, 08:39 PM   #352
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm not a fan of Prevent D myself.

A lot of people are overrated
Old 11-30-2005, 03:37 AM   #353
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:17 PM
Not that anyone really cares but me...

but I'm going to the Big 12 Championship game!
Old 11-30-2005, 03:59 AM   #354
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I don't really care, true.

I would have loved to see Nebraska there, but maybe next year. Year 2 of rebuilding is doing fairly well.

Have fun. If you get any good pics, be sure to share
Old 11-30-2005, 02:04 PM   #355
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:17 PM
I'll take my camera for sure. Got lower levels on the 40, so I'll be sure to get some shots of VY galloping about like a gazelle.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:52 AM   #356
War Child

Location: in the land of the GEORGIA BULLDOGS...WOOF WOOF WOOF
Local Time: 09:17 PM
GOOOOOOOO DAWGS!!!
SIC 'EM!!!!
WOOF WOOF WOOF
Old 12-01-2005, 03:10 PM   #357
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Beat the bRuins!

That is all.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:35 PM   #358
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by trojanchick99
in the Big 12 "Championship Game".

You know, I really don't like how the Big 12 is set up...
If it was actually a more level playing field, i'd say it is a great idea, but.... the conference is heavily lopsided on the South. Regardless of Nebraska's quality at the moment, it just seems odd.

I mean, what was the Big 8 like? I wasn't around for those days.

I guess it doesn't really matter, money play would probably work things over sooner or later. Yeah, the NU win against CU was really nice, because it was the first time in about a year I saw them on TV. It was a good statement, and gave people something to believe in, at least on a national level.

=

So what are some of the other BSCbowl matchups likely to be?

USC and Texas for the NC, right?
and then.......?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:26 PM   #359
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Fiesta would be ND vs OSU/Oregon
Orange would be VaTech vs Penn St
Sugar would be WVU vs Georgia/LSU

However, there are rumblings that the Fiesta is trying to buy off the Orange to get Penn St, so look out.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:07 PM   #360
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:17 PM
I'm going to the Virginia Tech/FSU game this Saturday

I hope FSU doesn't get killed that badly, since I'm a Noles fan, yay go noles...