2005-2006 College Football (USA)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't watch much college football, i must admit.

i prefer the pro's, by a long shot. and i still think vince young will be a michael vick type pro... in other words, a TERRIBLE quarterback who people think is better than he really is because of his athletic ability.

that said, he deserve the title tonight. the best team doesn't always win... the team that plays the best on that given night doen't always win. but the team that wins, ultimately, wins. and only pathetic loser pussies like indanapolis colt fans try to come up with excuses on why their so called better team didn't win.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
do i still think USC is the better team? yes.

:shrug: that said, the best 5 players on the field, despite vince young's amazing performance, were on USC's side.

i know this sort of adds to vince young's ability... but despite an all time game out of young, texas still needed a last minute touchdown to win. so there's still no question in my mind that USC is the best team in the nation...
but as everyone knows, that doesn't gaurantee that they'll be the national chamipon.

texas won, and they're the champs... as much as it pisses me off, they won, so they're #1.

:lol: yes, very objective statements :lol:

USC will lose a bunch of starters in the next year, so I hope you get your Mercy ready to wipe your tears. You'll probably need it, at this rate.

Specifically, in regards to what I bolded.....

The fact that one turnover, as you say, specifically cost them the game does not prove any sort of greatness to me. It was a close game, and USC has had to come back several times this year. Texas came back against USC's come back.

:shrug:

A one score loss doesn't prove anything. But it's the scoreboard that counts, as we all know.

USC may have been the best team in the nation, but I don't think that really is saying much, not this year. Sure, they had a great streak, and won the last two NCs...... but........ I hope this finally shuts people up about all the hype USC has

Oh, and one more thing

How do you feel about the ND game, Headache? The "Bush Push"?

Teams that need such efforts to score, to win... surely that is an attestment to their greatness, right :eyebrow:

Last edited:
not for nothing... if reggie bush doesn't attempt an absolutely TERRIBLE latteral attempt while on his way to an absolute USC touchdown at the end of the first half, than texas doesn't have a chance to win the game.

and while we're on it, there is no doubt... NO doubt.. that Vince Young's knee was down when he pitched that ball. he was down, and for some reason the booth never decided to review it when they obviously should have.

aaaaaaaaand... that was a catch by texas that was ruled an incomplete pass. it shoudl have been USC's ball, but upon review they ruled that it was incomplete. it's amazing that they didn't review an obvious play by young that was not a touchdown in the first half, but this time it was a catch, and they DID review it, and they ruled it wasn't a catch.

that said... texas won, and they're you're national champs. they're not my national champs, but they're yours.

With 3 minutes left, Peter Carroll should have not gone up the middle with Lendale White,,,,play action pass to get the first down.,..they did it all year...the game was theirs to win or lose...as far as Vince Young's knee.,..he woulda scored within two from the 6...it was a good game, I'm not upset and now I can go on living with my life...I just told my son that I didn't have to be home every Saturday next Fall......

ps...I bet Vince goes into the draft! $5.

For Honor said:

:lol: yes, very objective statements :lol:

USC will lose a bunch of starters in the next year, so I hope you get your Mercy ready to wipe your tears. You'll probably need it, at this rate.

Specifically, in regards to what I bolded.....

The fact that one turnover, as you say, specifically cost them the game does not prove any sort of greatness to me. It was a close game, and USC has had to come back several times this year. Texas came back against USC's come back.

:shrug:

A one score loss doesn't prove anything. But it's the scoreboard that counts, as we all know.

USC may have been the best team in the nation, but I don't think that really is saying much, not this year. Sure, they had a great streak, and won the last two NCs...... but........ I hope this finally shuts people up about all the hype USC has

Oh, and one more thing

How do you feel about the ND game, Headache? The "Bush Push"?

Teams that need such efforts to score, to win... surely that is an attestment to their greatness, right :eyebrow:

how do i feel? this is how i feel... i feel that any team can beat anybody on any given day.

i feel that tonight the better team lost to the team that played better tongiht.

what do i feel about the notre dame game? i don't know, what does texas feel about barely getting by ohio state? why does it matter?

i'm not a USC fan.. in reality, i don't like college football, i much prefer the NFL. if i was to root for any college team it would be... NOTRE DAME.

that said... anyone with half a clue as to what they're talking about can recognize the unreal talen that USC's offense has. did that result in a win? no. do i think that if they played 100 times that USC would win at least 75 of those times? absolutey.

it has nothing to do with objective vs. non objective... like i said, if i was to consider myself a fan of any college team, it would be notre dame... usc's arch rival.

still.. usc is the better team overall, they just were not the better team tonight.

and yes, that vince young was the mvp of the game tonight, which he certainly deserved, still disgusts me.

Last edited:
Mr. BAW said:

With 3 minutes left, Peter Carroll should have not gone up the middle with Lendale White,,,,play action pass to get the first down.,..they did it all year...the game was theirs to win or lose...as far as Vince Young's knee.,..he woulda scored within two from the 6...it was a good game, I'm not upset and now I can go on living with my life...I just told my son that I didn't have to be home every Saturday next Fall......

Oh yeah, I can't wait to see the scores when SC and Texas both mow down Nebraska next year...get ur diaper ready.

not for nothing... if reggie bush doesn't attempt an absolutely TERRIBLE latteral attempt while on his way to an absolute USC touchdown at the end of the first half, than texas doesn't have a chance to win the game.

and while we're on it, there is no doubt... NO doubt.. that Vince Young's knee was down when he pitched that ball. he was down, and for some reason the booth never decided to review it when they obviously should have.

aaaaaaaaand... that was a catch by texas that was ruled an incomplete pass. it shoudl have been USC's ball, but upon review they ruled that it was incomplete. it's amazing that they didn't review an obvious play by young that was not a touchdown in the first half, but this time it was a catch, and they DID review it, and they ruled it wasn't a catch.

that said... texas won, and they're you're national champs. they're not my national champs, but they're yours.

Hmm. Somebody had a lot to drink tonight and/or had a lot of money wagered on the game.

If Vince Young had been ruled down on the USC 11-yard line, Texas might well have scored 7. As it is, they got 6 because of the rushed extra point. The replay officials screwed up, but Pete Carroll erred by not calling a timeout. (I also recall that during the game at Notre Dame, he elected not to have replay officials present.)

The pass by the Texas receiver caught while on his back must have been ruled an incompletion due to ground-related contact, or somesuch. (Ground can't cause a fumble, but it can cause an incompletion.)

Also, I don't quite understand why it is that when Texas makes a mistake, they suck, but when SC makes a mistake, they're unlucky, had a brief mental lapse, or are otherwise excused. Nor do I understand why only offensive talent measures the greatness of a team. Nor do I understand why the greatness of a team should be measured over 59:41 rather than 60 minutes. But that's just me.

Last edited:
Mr. BAW said:

Running up the middle with LenDale White on fourth and 2 was fine, since he'd been gaining 6-10 yards every time, and punting Texas 25 yards back wouldn't have mattered much. I don't understand why Reggie Bush was on the sideline for that play though.

Vince Young looks more like Randall Cunningham than Michael Vick to me. He doesn't have the outstanding arm that Cunningham had, but he has the discipline to drop back and scan the field when he needs to, unlike Vick.

i'm sorry let me figure this out...

if pete carroll would have went for the field goal instead of going for it, that makes it 10-nothing.

if reggie bush doesn't stupidly try to pitch it to some guy for a touchdown and instead just goes down, in all likely hood, the game is either 13-0 or 17-0 heading into halftime.

in otherwords, game over.

i'm sorry if i'm the only one who noticed this.

i'm sorry let me figure this out...

if pete carroll would have went for the field goal instead of going for it, that makes it 10-nothing.

if reggie bush doesn't stupidly try to pitch it to some guy for a touchdown and instead just goes down, in all likely hood, the game is either 13-0 or 17-0 heading into halftime.

in otherwords, game over.

i'm sorry if i'm the only one who noticed this.

I guess you somehow missed Texas scoring 15 points in 4 minutes, then.

thanks... i neither had anything to drink nor had a dollar on the game.

Dammit. Thought I had you nailed.

speedracer said:

I guess you somehow missed Texas scoring 15 points in 4 minutes, then.

nah thanks i saw it.

i guess you didn't notice that texas couldn't stop usc in the second half.

if usc was up 17-0 going into half time, i'm guessing those 14 points wouldn't have made a difference.

maybe i'm just a racist asshole, but i've yet to see a scramble first QB who's won a super bowl. that might have something to do with why i dislike scamble first qb's, i dunno. i guess i just don't know what i'm talking about.

nah thanks i saw it.

i guess you didn't notice that texas couldn't stop usc in the second half.

if usc was up 17-0 going into half time, i'm guessing those 14 points wouldn't have made a difference.

There was a critical defensive stop hidden somewhere within those 15 unanswered points, you know.

Snarkiness aside, my main point is that you're still being remarkably asymmetric about the adjustments you're making. SC's first TD was on a short field, set up by an awful fumble on a Texas punt return (guy was carrying the ball like a loaf of bread) after going three-and-out, and Texas had some critical drive-sustaining penalties. But somehow you seem to accept those as part of Texas's nature, while SC just got unlucky with its mistakes.

maybe i'm just a racist asshole, but i've yet to see a scramble first QB who's won a super bowl. that might have something to do with why i dislike scamble first qb's, i dunno. i guess i just don't know what i'm talking about.

Well, if Trent Dilfer can win a Super Bowl, I would think that anything's possible. It's understandable that coaches shy away from running QBs due to the ferocity of the hits, but Kordell Stewart probably had a chance in the late 90s/early 00s if Pittsburgh hadn't tried to shoehorn him into a drop-back passer mold. I'll probably be saying the same about Mike Vick in 10 years. And Charlie Ward never got his shot at the NFL. The failure of running QBs in the NFL probably owes a lot to the closed-mindedness of NFL coaches as well.

Last edited:
I've been a fan as long as I've lived in Texas, and I'm transferring there next year, so allow me to say:

HOOK EM

Difference is Vince Young is 6'5", 230, and fast. Oh, and he pretty much single-handedly ended USC's 34 game winning streak tonight. Yep, that's right, Vince Young beat the best team in the nation. Headache, please tell me of another "scramble first" QB who played/is playing in the NFL who matches up to Vince Young in terms of height, speed and cutting ability.
:|

Last edited:

:laugh:

Jebus christ. Are you the most bitter dude on the planet tonight, or what??? :lol: Fucking Texas WAS THE BETTER TEAM TONIGHT. Vince Young was unstoppable. Seriously, Headache, you are letting your emotions get the best of you.

Mr. BAW said:

Pete should have a punter on his team.
If he punts on 4th and 1, Texas has to go at least 80 yds to win, not 57.
Plus in the first quarter while up 7-0, Pete shoul send his kicker on the field on 4th down from the 13. How nice would those 3 points have been later.
Vince Young had perhaps the single greatest game of any player in college football history considering what was at stake, and Pete's coaching style cost his team the championship.
If Marty Schottenheimer had taken over for Pete Carroll with 5 minutes left, USC wins.

Punt the friggin ball Pete.

pub crawler said:

Difference is Vince Young is 6'5", 230, and fast. Oh, and he pretty much single-handedly ended USC's 34 game winning streak tonight. Yep, that's right, Vince Young beat the best team in the nation. Headache, please tell me of another "scramble first" QB who played/is playing in the NFL who matches up to Vince Young in terms of height, speed and cutting ability.
:|

Vince Young played his best game ever, to be sure. But he was a giant among kids. Don't confuse the talent level in that game to the NFL. Young would not be able to do all the moves he did last night in the NFL. USC's defense is not exactly the greatest. He will have to transition his game somewhat to be successful in the pros.

That said, even if Bush doesn't make the stupid lateral, even if they said Vince Young's knee was down, and even if a few other scenarios transpired, it doesn't mean USC would have won in a cakewalk. This game would have still gone down to the wire. Leinart was incredible in the second half, but so was Young. Neither one would have been stopped regardless, and each one would have raised his level of performance anyway because the score still would have been close.

My prediction would have been just about right on if Texas doesn't convert on that last play, but alas, that's the way it goes. Congrats to the Longhorns.

Hewson said:

All that being said, I will predict here and now that your National Champ this season will be Texas.
USC's defense isn't as strong as Texas'.
Once again this post is from Oct 17th....everyone praise me now. :wink:

Final thoughts:
One hell of a football game.
A performance for the ages by Vince Young.
Headache will surely be hungover this morning cause it sounded like some angry drunk postings from a man with money on the Trojans.:wink:
I hope to never see the little graphic under the running back that says "Bush" or "White" on every friggin play again in another game. When Jackson (who should have retired long ago, is he blind?) says, "Bush is the tailback", thats all we need, don't have to flash a graphic under him saying "Bush".
Pete Carroll should recruit punters this spring, he needed one last night.
Neither team will be back in the title game next year.
Ohio State vs LSU.

OK one more thing...As I read my newspaper I see this quote from Matt Leinart:
I still think we're a better football team, they just made the plays in the end.
2 word for you Matt: Kordell Stewart
Learn to accept losing...you're gonna have to considering you will be a Saint or a Jet most likely.
Texas was the better team last night.
USC has better overall skill players.
But Texas can tackle.
The Trojans coudn't tackle Young if their lives' depended on it. The defense is part of the "team", Matt.

phanan said:
Sounds like a comment opposing players make about the Patriots.
Hence the 2 words: Kordell Stewart.
I went to opening night at Gillette in 2002 vs. the Steelers, and the shiny new jumbotron showed the clip of Kordell after the previous AFC title game saying "The best team doesn't always win" several times after bad Kordell plays while the Pats were stomping the Steelers yet again.

And that's what Titans players said after losing in the playoffs a couple of years back.

And that's what the Colts say every time they lose to them, too.

Leinart should have simply said they were the better team tonight, and left it at that.

So if Pete has a brain and kicks a FG, and Bush doesn't lateral, somehow USC's defense prevents all of Txas' 16 first half points?
At best it would be 20-16 USC at half if they made all the aforementioned right moves.

phanan said:
And that's what Titans players said after losing in the playoffs a couple of years back.

And that's what the Colts say every time they lose to them, too.

Leinart should have simply said they were the better team tonight, and left it at that.
Maybe Leinart can say that in 2009 when the Pats stomp his Saints 44-3.:wink:

Am I crazy for thinking that LenDale White is going to make a better pro than Reggie Bush? I've bought into the Reggie hype, but after last night, I have second thoughts. I'm not saying Bush won't be good, I just think White could be better based on his size and ability to run up the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom