2005-2006 College Football (USA)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For Honor said:

You know, I really don't like how the Big 12 is set up...
If it was actually a more level playing field, i'd say it is a great idea, but.... the conference is heavily lopsided on the South. Regardless of Nebraska's quality at the moment, it just seems odd.

That's how it is now, but when the B12 was initally put together, Nebraska, K state, and Colorado were the class of the League. How times change.

I mean, what was the Big 8 like? I wasn't around for those days.

I was around for it. First off, UTex, TTech, Baylor, and aTm were in the old Southwest Conf w/ SMU, TCU, Houston, and Arkansas.
Ark finally got the sh!ts of being in with all the Texas teams and bolted for the SEC, which triggered the whole conference realignment w/ the BIG8. But I digress...

The Old Big 8 was Neb vs Okla... period. Occassionally Mizzou or OSU would finish 8-3 or whatever, but they couldn't touch the Sooners or the Huskers. Check out the conference website for past champs. It was one of the two every year. ISU, KState, Kansas, Colorado were pathetic. The Buffs really weren't a factor until the early 1990s. KState had some good years in the later part of Snyder's tenure after the merger.

trojanchick99 said:
there are rumblings that the Fiesta is trying to buy off the Orange to get Penn St, so look out.

This is an interesting situation with a lot of factors coming into play. ABC will really want this game, because it knows that a ND/PSU clash will probably equal the Rose Bowl in viewership based on the huge following the two schools have. If there's a deal made w/ the Orange Bowl, they will probably pony up the cash.

The Fiesta is dying to make up for last years disaster with Pitt and Utah, a one sided mis-match viewed by dozens of households across the nation. If a deal doesn't get done, the Fiesta, geographically inside the PAC10's footprint, will be under fire to take Oregon, when they really want the Buckeyes.

The Orange Bowl, less compelled to take the Ducks from a regional standpoint, can take the money and still make out very well with a potential Va Tech - Ohio State game.

Seems like a slam dunk don't it? Except that all ABC can offer the Orange is $$$, nothing more. They can't promise the folks in Miami a gem of a game in the future because this is ABC's final year broadcasting the BCS bowls- FOX takes over next year. If its a cash only bargain, it will have to be a boat load of it. Will ABC fork it over? Who knows..

The BCS Bowl that is terribly at risk is the Sugar. They have no permanent home, thanks to Katrina, and they run the very real possiblity of hosting a local team w/ 2 losses (UGA) and the BigLeast "Champion" WVU.

Ouch! Considerably less tourist revenue with local fans commuting to the game instead of getting hotels for the week AND low TV ratings. If LSU wins the SEC, do their fans have the bank to travel to ATL for the game? Many are still feeling Katrina's wrath.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for those insights, Clark W. Griswold, Jr. :up:

I guess that expains some things that I didn't know about the past, or the present.

Would Penn State/Notre Dame be a desired matchup from the school's standpoints? (Obviously it would be great from a tv standpoint.) Haven't we heard complaints when teams have to play each other twice in a row (like Miami/FSU)? Notre Dame plays Penn State in their second game next season:

2006 Notre Dame Football Schedule

Sept. 2 at Georgia Tech
Sept. 9 PENN STATE
Sept. 16 MICHIGAN
Sept. 23 at Michigan State
Sept. 30 PURDUE
Oct. 7 STANFORD
Oct. 21 UCLA
Oct. 28 at Navy (Baltimore, Md.)
Nov. 4 NORTH CAROLINA
Nov. 11 at Air Force
Nov. 18 ARMY
Nov. 25 at USC

2007 Notre Dame Football Schedule

Sept. 1 GEORGIA TECH
Sept. 8 at Penn State
Sept. 15 at Michigan
Sept. 22 MICHIGAN STATE
Sept. 29 at Purdue
Oct. 6 at UCLA
Oct. 13 BOSTON COLLEGE
Oct. 20 USC
Nov. 3 NAVY
Nov. 10 AIR FORCE
Nov. 17 DUKE
Nov. 24 at Stanford

Last edited:
cleazer said:
Would Penn State/Notre Dame be a desired matchup from the school's standpoints? (Obviously it would be great from a tv standpoint.) Haven't we heard complaints when teams have to play each other twice in a row (like Miami/FSU)? Notre Dame plays Penn State in their second game next season:

It's a point worth considering, but it's still two separate seasons were talking about. Usually the complaints arise when it's the second meeting within the same season.

From ND's perspective, they would be playing against a higher ranked team with the chance to really move up in the final rankings should they win. Instead of just treading water by beating say, Oregon.

From Penn State's point of view, they lose a lot of starters for next season and will be taking an unproven squad into South Bend early in the Fall. They might want a shot at the Irish early with this year's team.

nbcrusader said:
I think Reggie Bush just won the Heisman vote with his 200+ yards against UCLA.

I think Pete Carroll is a classless jerk!

Last edited:
U2ME3 said:

What, for keeping the starters in while up 50 points?

I might agree if they were playing against Florida A&M. But if you're a major conference team and you lose that badly, you deserve it.

U2ME3 said:

And ur thoughts about Texas running up the score all season????
One of my earlier comments this year was about SC for yanking their first team so early!

This game was a "back at you" against a cross-team rival. UCLA has been talking smack in the media since they went 4-0 and SC wasn't gonna let them get back in the game like they'd been doing all season...Truthfully, I was hoping that they would run the score past 70 just to show Texas but I guess that would be my classless idea! Fight On! SC #1

speedracer said:

What, for keeping the starters in while up 50 points?

I might agree if they were playing against Florida A&M. But if you're a major conference team and you lose that badly, you deserve it.

I don't care who you're playing you don't try and run it up on any team.

Mr. BAW said:

And ur thoughts about Texas running up the score all season????
One of my earlier comments this year was about SC for yanking their first team so early!

This game was a "back at you" against a cross-team rival. UCLA has been talking smack in the media since they went 4-0 and SC wasn't gonna let them get back in the game like they'd been doing all season...Truthfully, I was hoping that they would run the score past 70 just to show Texas but I guess that would be my classless idea! Fight On! SC #1

Players and fans might have the "back at you" mentality, but coaches should be above that. Not good ol' Petey though. Let's run reverses and go for it on 4th and 10 when we're up by 45.

Oh, regarding a previous post about Fla A & M, they probably would do pretty well in the PAC 10.

Hook 'em

Last edited:
U2ME3 said:

I don't care who you're playing you don't try and run it up on any team.

Exactly what part was "running it up". The last couple of touchdowns were scored by the defense and second stringers.

And against the 11th ranked team, in conference and cross-town rival - Pete Carroll is anything but a "classless jerk".

nbcrusader said:

Exactly what part was "running it up".

Here's some examples:

Playing starters in the 4th quarter

Up 45-6 goes for it on 4th and 10

Up 52-6 starters still in and Petey is still calling pass plays

Oh, need I remind everyone of Petey calling a play action pass for a touchdown against Ark in the 4th qtr while already pummeling them 63-7, with only 2 minutes left. Give me a freakin break. Was that a rivalry game too?

Last edited:
Meh. Lots of coaches pay lip service to the issue of running up the score.

I've only seen one coach who decries running up scores and really practices what he preaches -- Lloyd Carr.

speedracer said:
Meh. Lots of coaches pay lip service to the issue of running up the score.

I've only seen one coach who decries running up scores and really practices what he preaches -- Lloyd Carr.

You mean LLLLoyd?

Personally.... I don't like running up the score.... but I suppose if any team has ever done it, Nebraska has done it, so I guess I can't really say anything.

I wouldn't feel too bad with R. Bush winning the Heisman.
I'd rather him than Matt L., and .... is Bush a senior or junior?
If he's a senior, I'd rather him than Young.
Young will probably get it next year :slant:

U2ME3 said:

Here's some examples:

Playing starters in the 4th quarter

Oh, need I remind everyone of Petey calling a play action pass for a touchdown against Ark in the 4th qtr while already pummeling them 63-7, with only 2 minutes left. Give me a freakin break. Was that a rivalry game too?

I have no problem with what Coach Carroll did. Firstly, He wanted to get Leinart a nice send off. And Matt deserved one.
If ucla had put in their 2nd string against our 2nd string, you probably would have seen a different gameplan. However, these 2nd and 3rd string players are our future 1st string players, so any real game experience they can get is desireable. Lastly, these backups work just as hard as the starters, you can't just tell them to not play. Frankly, that wouldn't be fair.

Hmm, I don't think I quite get that last post... but maybe I read it wrong.

Aren't everyone's 2nd and 3rd stringers technichally the programs future?

Nevertheless, a lot of things in college ball aren't "fair". If it were totally fair and even, everygame would be a tie.

I love it when people call Pete "classless". The obviously don't know the passion this man has for football and for his team, whether it be USC, or New England or whomever.

If you want to talk about running up scores please also see:

Miami of the early 2000's
Oklahoma the past few years
Nebraska in the 80's and 90's
and the 2005 Texas Longhorns

I'll take 66 against UCLA or whoever. Most fans hate a winner.

USC - 34 straight wins!! Fight on Trojans! :rockon:

U2doggie said:
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS!!!
Anyone see that game??? I was there...almost wet my pants in the first quarter!
SEC Football is the best!!!!!
GOOOO DAWGS
SIC 'EM
WOOF WOOF WOOF

I always like SEC games......

It was fun to watch :up:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
The obviously don't know the passion this man has for football and for his team, whether it be USC, or New England or whomever.

If you want to talk about running up scores please also see:

Miami of the early 2000's
Oklahoma the past few years
Nebraska in the 80's and 90's
:

Never doubted his passion for football or team, but there is something called sportsmanship. By leaving those starters in and calling those plays, like he has done in the past (see Ark game) he shows no respect for the other coach or team. Whatever though, SC does have a great team with great players. Reggie Bush is amazing! Yesterday, however, showed me a lot about Carroll. With that said, the Rose Bowl should be a great game.

Finally, do you really want to be lumped in with those teams you mentioned? What goes around comes around and those programs are not "running it up" on anybody these days.

Last edited:
U2ME3 said:

Yes, 4th & 10, out of field goal range, but too close for a punt. Instead of running the ball (almost a guaranteed 10 yards), we runa a pass play. A busted pass play that took on of the longest shuffle passes to get a first down.

And yes, it was classy to run pass plays toward the end of the game. The Bruins run defense was depleted and would have been more embarrasing.

U2ME3 said:

You mean LLLLoyd?

Yes, yes, we all know Michigan's offense couldn't score 40 points against the Hawaii College of Handicapped Nurses if they tried.

nbcrusader said:

Yes, 4th & 10, out of field goal range, but too close for a punt.

And yes, it was classy to run pass plays toward the end of the game. The Bruins run defense was depleted and would have been more embarrasing.

You ever hear of taking a delay of game penalty? And who cares if he punted it in the stands? You were up by 39!

I'm done. A few more questions though:

If the shoe was on the other foot and another team was doing that to your team, would you think it was right?

What is the excuse for the Arkansas game? Up by 46, 2 or so minutes left in the game. Pass play right. TD! Yea Team! Fight On!

Or the Hawaii game? Up by 39 in the 4th. 4th and goal from the two. Field goal? No, I think the kicker had too much Gatorade and his stomach hurts. Let's pass for a TD. Nice work!

Or Wash? Up by 44-24 with 5 minute to play Run out the clock? No, let's go up top for 6!

Good luck in the Rose Bowl.

kellyahern said:

I mean Jacksonville :wink:

It looks like FSU finally woke up :up:. Why haven't they played like this for most of the season?

I think they might've locked Jeff Bowden in a portapotty and let someone who isn't legally retarded do the offensive coordinating :happy:

I was there! and nothing made more happier than almost every annoyinh Virginia Tech fan shutting up in the 3rd quarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom