2004 World Series... Red Sox vs. Red Birds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rolenintofens.jpg

DaveC said:
Sox in 7.

Ramirez cranks a moon shot to the upper deck in the 12th inning. 6-5 final score.

that certainly would be interesting considering that the only thing in fenway park that could be considered the "upper deck" would be in foul territory, unless of course you count the monster seats or the just added seats on the roof.

this series reminds me alot of the last time the red sox made the world series... the houston astros lose a heartbreaker in the NLCS, the red sox pull off a stunning comeback in the ALCS to go on and meet the team that had the best record in baseball from start to finish in the world series.

Cardinals in in 5 on a ball through david ortiz's legs :wink:

Game 1: Sox 7, Cards 3
Game 2: Sox 6, Cards 4
Game 3: Sox 11, Cards 3
Game 4: Cards 6, Sox 5
Game 5: Cards 9, Sox 4
Game 6: Sox 12, Cards 1

Your MVP is Curt "Bloody Ankle" Schilling with victories in games 2 and 6.

i dont understand why so many people think the sox "Are going to kill" the cards.

AL people always seem to underestimate NL teams and their style of play. but i think the cardinals 11-1 interleague record this year can show they can play anyway they need to to win.

the cardinals had the best record in baseball for a reason, they are good. they may not have the name starting pitchers, but they have the numbers and have been consistently good all year.

its gonna be quite a battle and a series neither team will dominate. it will probably go 7 games with the team that gets the better bounces winning it all.

2 historic franchises going at it, this is what the world series is meant to be. no marlins this year.

my prediciton, cardinals sweep :wink:

Last edited:
heres why the cardinals have a huge advantage

the 3 games in st louis... and the wakefield starts.

wakefield starts game 1, if francona starts varitek, larussa WILL run early and often, knowing that varitek has to concentrate completely on even keeping the damn thing in front of him, let alone throwing a runner out. something torre should have done.

the games in the nl park require ortiz to move to first base. this giving bellhorn and ortiz as a right side of the infield? can you say little to no range? then the sox pitchers have to hit. that'll be fairly pathetic and a guaranteed out.

cards in 5

Cardinals in 6 or 7 games - but I would like to see them win in STL - fans here are pretty damn cool/respectful - not to mention I would like to see them win in Busch. for the new stadium is built.

Anyone excited about McCarver(sp) - played for the Cards and Buck (Joe Buck's Dad Jack Buck was THE voice of the Cardinals before his death) calling the game for fox? Both guys live in STL.

I know it probably isn't going to happen but I'd like to see Buck either say "That's a winner" or "Go crazy folks" if the cards win:)

nurse chrissi said:
Cardinals in 6 or 7 games - but I would like to see them win in STL - fans here are pretty damn cool/respectful - not to mention I would like to see them win in Busch. for the new stadium is built.

Anyone excited about McCarver(sp) - played for the Cards and Buck (Joe Buck's Dad Jack Buck was THE voice of the Cardinals before his death) calling the game for fox? Both guys live in STL.

I know it probably isn't going to happen but I'd like to see Buck either say "That's a winner" or "Go crazy folks" if the cards win:)

i don't think i'll ever be excited about being forced to sit through the misery that is tom mccarver.

slam-a-lam-a-ding-dong

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i don't think i'll ever be excited about being forced to sit through the misery that is tom mccarver.

slam-a-lam-a-ding-dong

Normally I just listen to KMOX with the sound muted on the TV but since Buck is calling the game I just might have to make an exception this time. If I go to a game I aways have at least one earphone in to listen to KMOX
Jack Buck would have loved this:sad:

STLElevation my young friend...Tito has already announced that Mirabelli will catch game 1. The weather is cool and breezy, perfect weather for the knuckleball to dance like it did in innings 12, 13 and 14 Monday. So let the few Cards who reach base try to run.
As for the Sox pichers hitting, well game 3 will be Pedro who spent many years with the Dodgers and Expos and has held a bat, and if the Cards manage a victory, game 5 will be Wakefield who pitched several years in Pittsburgh and was a decent hitting pitcher, and of course your argument that the Sox pitchers will be easy outs loses merit when you consider the Cards pitchers must hit against the Sox staff...what you think Jeff Suppan is gonna go 4-4 with 3 hrs against Pedro??
And (this to Headache as well) the Ortiz situation will be handled based upon situation, but be sure if the Sox lead, any inning after the 6th when Ortiz bats, he will be then lifted for Mientkewicz. If the game is tied or Sox trail, Ortiz may stay in the game longer. Yes he is a poor first baseman, but its not like he's putting on a mitt for the first time ever.

nurse chrissi said:

Anyone excited about McCarver(sp) - played for the Cards and Buck (Joe Buck's Dad Jack Buck was THE voice of the Cardinals before his death) calling the game for fox?
I think I can speak for every viewer of the ALCS who had to listen to these 2 assclowns and say..."No"

no, i dont expect suppan to go 4-4. marquis, woody and suppan all however swing the bat very well. they have actually hit THIS year. pedro, lowe and wakefield (3-4-5) do not hit well and havent hit since interleague.

good, let mirabelli catch. take the 'leader' of the sox out of the lineup...thats fine by me. that was a win-win situation for st louis.

StlElevation said:
no, i dont expect suppan to go 4-4. marquis, woody and suppan all however swing the bat very well. they have actually hit THIS year. pedro, lowe and wakefield (3-4-5) do not hit well and havent hit since interleague.

good, let mirabelli catch. take the 'leader' of the sox out of the lineup...thats fine by me. that was a win-win situation for st louis.

Mirabelli will hit well against the St. Louis pitchers; it's the elite power pitchers he can't hit.

And once Wakefield leaves the game, Mirabelli does too and the switch-hitting Varitek comes in.

nurse chrissi said:

See the Tim McCarverisms thread.

well let's go position by position, shall we? Feel free to copy/paste your own breakdown.

First Base: Albert Pujols vs. Kevin Millar, Doug Mientkiewicz, David Ortiz
No matter how you slice it up, Pujols wins. Even if you want to argue that Ortiz has been so hot that he's equal in Pujols at the plate (which i don't believe but ok), Ortiz still has to go into the field, and in a late inning situation in St. Louie he's either a defensive liability of he's out of the game. Big Edge: Cardinals.

Second Base: Mark Bellhorn vs. Tony Womack

Womack's got more speed, Bellhorn's got more pop. Edge: Even

Third Base: Scott Rolen vs. Bill Mueller

Mueller's a good player, Rolen is the likely NL MVP & a gold glove winner to boot. Big Edge: Cardinals

Shortstop: Edgar Renteria vs. Orlando Cabrera

Renteria had slightly better numbers than Cabrera in the regular season, but he's done nothing so far in the post-season. Edge: Red Sox

Leftfield: Reggie Sanders vs. Manny Raimrez

Both of these guys did nothing in the last round. Doesn't matter. Manny is one of the best RBI guys in the game, Sanders is not. Big Edge: Red Sox

Centerfield: Jim Edmonds vs. Johnny Damon

Edmonds is a stud in the field, Damon is just good. Damon is a potential gamebreaker as a lead off hitter, but was horrific in the ALCS (before Game 7, that is). Edmonds has more pop, but Damon has 90+ RBIs out of the leadoff spot. Too close to call. Edge: Even

Rightfield: Larry Walker vs. Trot Nixon

Nixon's always dangerous, and his catch on Matsui's bases loaded line drive in Game 5 probably saved the series for the Red Sox... but ya have to go with Walker here. Edge: Cardinals

Catcher: Mike Matheny vs. Jason Varitek

Ho hum... neither is a world beater, and Mirrabelli will be starting game 1 for the Sox. :shrug: Edge: Red Sox

DH: Unknown vs. David Ortiz

Anyone they stick in here isn't going to challange Pappi, unless they DH Pujols, in which case the Red Sox then take the advantage at first base. It would be a huge Edge if not for the fact that the DH is only used at Fenway Edge: Red Sox

Starting Pitching: Woody Williams, Matt Morris, Jeff Supan, Jason Marquis vs. Curt Schilling, Pedro Martinez, Bob Wakefield, Brandon Arroyo

Should be a huge Edge for the Red Sox, but there's too many question marks for them. Will Schilling's ankle fall off? Will Pedro be good Pedro or crazy midget lovin' Pedro? Can Bob Wakefield really slip a 60 mile per hour pitch past Albert Pujols? Will Brandon Arroyo pitch like he did out of relief, or toss up batting practice like he did in Game 3. If all these questions turn out in the Red Sox favor, then it's a huge advantage for Boston... but that's too many questions for me. Slight Edge: Red Sox

Bullpen

Against these two lineups? Goodluck to both sides. Edge: None

Closer: Jason Isringhausen vs. Keith Foulke

Izzy's good, but I gotta go with Foulke here. Edge: Red Sox

Bench

Roberts speed off the bench is neutralized by Cedeno. Millar on the bench in favor of Ortiz will be a plus in St. Louis. Edge: Even

Manager: Tony LaRussa vs. Terry Francona

LaRussa has World Series experience. He's a legend in the game. Francona is believed by many to be a boob. However, every bonehead move that Francona tried durring the ALCS turned out golden. He's on one of those can't miss streaks. Will it continue? No. Big Edge: Cardinals

So let's say we go 1 point per Edge, 2 points for a Big Edge... we come out with...

:edge::edge::edge::edge::edge::edge::edge:

7 Edge's a piece... Pick 'em... Cardinals in 7.

Last edited:
I'll go with the Cards in 7. That way, Yankee fans (I'm not one of them) can still chant "1918" during the Sawks next visit to the Boogie Down Bronx.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom