2004 World Junior Hockey Championship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Can't believe the tournament is almost over already! Has anyone been watching the games? The US was the heavy favourite going in, and now they will be facing Canada in the final on Monday morning (8:30am Pacific). Canada hammered the Czechs in the semi-final game this morning 7-1. You got to love Marc-Andre Fleury and Sidney Crosby. They're going to be awesome for years to come. Should be a great game on Monday!

Full story:

http://tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story.asp?id=66489

Yeah, it's all Fleury.

That barrage of one shot during that extended powerplay.

Our Savior!!!

Come on you guys, don't believe the hype. The physical dominance of the checking lines is the difference, not the fifteen saves per outing. Crosby has potential, but don't put too much expectation on him.

It will be an interesting gold medal game, as both teams have earned their way, and are mutually overdo for a little golden shower...

:sexywink:

Not once did I say it was all Fleury or all Crosby. I simply said both players will be awesome for years to come. So far it's been a total team effort for Canada. I'm simply saying I see the great potential in both those players, that's all. Canada has dominated as a team, so far. It's nice to see. From what I gather, the US is relying more on their top players, and giving them more ice time. Canada will likely be advised to wear these top players down in Monday's game.

I agree. That's why I didn't say Michael... it was a comment more directed to the media and other participants in this thread.

Fleury's worth was proven last year, but I think it will be an even tougher game on Monday, than it was on home soil. Losing to the US would hurt some egos methinks...

Parise!

Where is the talk about the US star?

Went to High/Prep School in Minnesota...goes to college in North Dakota and is owned by the Devils. :up:

Wish people in the US gave a shit about the Junior Nationals!

I wish we could watch the games here but unless you have a dish you can't. Seems strange even here in the northland that the games aren't on. I'm surprised that FoxSports isn't at lease showing the final game. :down:

zoney! said:
Parise!

Where is the talk about the US star?

Wish people in the US gave a shit about the Junior Nationals!

Wish the US Team would stop stealing the sons of former Canadian hockey players...

Case in point, the dual citizenship of Brady Murray, son of Andy Murray. He's on a line with Parise, and they're benefitting from a great deal of ice time.

Can't wait for the big game tomorrow morning!! This should be amazing. Canada vs. the USA. 8:30am Pacific; 11:30am Eastern; 9:30am Mountain Time... don't ask me for the rest of the time zones!

I hope Sidney Crosby has a big game. I feel bad for the poor kid with all these Gretzky comments. Wayne had 13 points in his first 3 games in the World Juniors as a 16 year old, got 6 points in the final game, and led the tournament in scoring. Impossible comparisons!

Everything relates back to Wayne or Vancouver

Michael Griffiths said:
Can't wait for the big game tomorrow morning!! This should be amazing. Canada vs. the USA. 8:30am Pacific; 11:30am Eastern; 9:30am Mountain Time... don't ask me for the rest of the time zones!

Yes...cause figuring out that the Central time would be 10:30 am would have been WAY difficult. :p

3-1 after two, now. Fleury just made a save that would make Hasek in his prime look bad. It looked as though the US player missed a wide open net, with Fleury down and out. On replay, however, it shows Fleury stretched across with ridiculous flexibility to stop it with his glove. Unbelievable.

Should be a great 3rd period!

too bad. i only listened but it sounds as though fleury and the canadian team got a real bad break.

good for the americans:up:
hope someone pays attention.

Yes, the break you're speaking of was when Fleury cleared the puck... only problem was, it hit a Canadian player who was in between the faceoff circle and the top of the goal crease, and somehow bounced all the way back into the net, with Fleury out of position due to the clearing attempt. It has to be one of the weirdest goals I've ever seen, and it ended up being the winner for the US. That said, Canada had the chance to go up 4-1 at the beginning of the 3rd period and missed several other great chances, too... so maybe it was meant to be this way. Both teams gave it their all, and it was a great game. Congrats to the US. :up:

Congratulations Team USA...

Diligence paid off in the third. I was impressed with the patience of this year's team, and their dedication to a team system. Hopefully the victory won't be in vain, and American sports channels pick up this awesome tournament in the near future. If you enjoyed olympic hockey, this is the next best thing.

Good things about the tournament:

- tag-up offsides... limits the whistles, and doesn't interfere with the tempo of the game. That is a great rule implementation.

- north american dominance... the two systems most successful, focusing on scoring, physical presence, and to a certain degree team depth. Hopefully in the future the American team can afford to role 4 lines.

Bad things about the tournament:

- Marc Andr? Fleury's paddle... his goal stick caused massive problems in the third period for Canada, and he will have to improve his skills in visual adjustment and puck communication with his defenseman. If not, he will only be a successful goalie on a Roy-style team. Keep the paddle down Marc! Two goals buddy, two goals.

- European Impotence... awful showing for the eastern teams. There's some major flaws with the junior development programs in Russia and the Czech Republic.

- Austria and Ukraine... nice try guys. But you've been relegated. Bring on Belarus and Germany for next year.

- Canadian impatience... bad luck happens sometimes, but I hope my fellow countrymen will embrace the fact that the team played excellent and just came up short of expectation. Lest we forget that the Americans were a heavy favorite entering, and didn't disappoint.

Congratulations for a great effort from both teams... and a special shoutout to my defected cousin Brady Murray. Keeping the Gold Murray tradition.

:up:

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:
3-1 after two, now. Fleury just made a save that would make Hasek in his prime look bad. It looked as though the US player missed a wide open net, with Fleury down and out. On replay, however, it shows Fleury stretched across with ridiculous flexibility to stop it with his glove. Unbelievable.

It was a great effort, but don't overexaggerate. The puck just as easily could have deflected in... Fleury struggled heartily today. Nerves were showing on both goalies.

Fuck Tomas Andersson. Get your damn skate out of the way you stupid jackass. You were the difference in the whole tournament. Looks like your goal of fucking over Canada was successful after all...God knows you've been screwing us all tournament.

Anyone who says that the US deserved to win that game doesn't know what they're talking about. They got 2 extremely lucky goals, one of the referee's skate, and one off a lucky bounce. The USA did NOT deserve to win this, Canada had a slight edge the whole game and the Americans got lucky, and anybody who says the Americans deserved to win that has either never played a second of hockey in their lives, or don't know what they're talking about, or both. :rant:

Fuck I am angry right now. :madspit:

Haha.

Anyone that blames the referee's skate... instead of Fleury's complete ineptitude to behind the net traffic doesn't know what they're talking about.

It's nice to see you're such a class act in defeat though.

Bounces happen, but don't let your emotions use them as scapegoats. Canada scored two goals after that... are you sure you watched the game?

:up:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom