2004 World Junior Hockey Championship - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2004, 02:48 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Pinball Wizard

It was a great effort, but don't overexaggerate. The puck just as easily could have deflected in... Fleury struggled heartily today. Nerves were showing on both goalies.
Cujo, please. You could say that about pretty much any save. The puck could have done this, could have done that... You could make the reverse argument and say every goal the US and Canada scored could have missed the net. That stretch save by Fleury was unbelievable. There is no overexageration. Look at the replay again, kind sir.

By the way, I completely agree with your observation of the delayed off-side rule. It's a great rule -- which used to be in place, I might add -- that should be re-implemented.

Old 01-05-2004, 02:50 PM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 07:19 PM
I did look at the play Griffey!

I said it was a great effort... but I'm not gonna give him outrageous credit for a shot with a monstrous rebound (hard to avoid in that situation) that was only due to his lack of positioning. A trend that continued throughout the game... I'm not trying to destroy the guy, but it was a brutal outing for him, seeing as that was his only highlight. I suggest that the more emotional fans go take a shower or something...

Old 01-05-2004, 02:55 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
I did look at the play Griffey!

I said it was a great effort... but I'm not gonna give him outrageous credit for a shot with a monstrous rebound (hard to avoid in that situation) that was only due to his lack of positioning. A trend that continued without the game... I'm not trying to destroy the guy, but it was a brutal outing for him, seeing as that was his only highlight.
Since when was I talking about his entire performance? The discussion was about that particular save, which any way you look at it was simply amazing. Yes, he was out of position -- but only because he was forced to be, as you insinuated -- but what made the save amazing was the recovery, itself. Most goaltenders would never have made that save. Fleury got it out of mid air, off a deflection. Amazing.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:55 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:19 PM
It was a great game. I have never liked Patrick O'Sullivan's attitude on the ice (I find him to be underhanded), but he played a good game today. Bah.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:58 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

i think it just goes to show who really is the superior hockey country

this should put any debate to bed
Old 01-05-2004, 02:58 PM   #36
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths

Since when was I talking about his entire performance? The discussion was about that particular save, which any way you look at it was simply amazing. Yes, he was out of position -- but only because he was forced to be, as you insinuated -- but what made the save amazing was the recovery, itself. Most goaltenders would never have made that save. Fleury got it out of mid air, off a deflection. Amazing.
I said his lack of positioning was consistent with his performance... I'm not a jackass who imparts criticism on one instance based on an entire game. But it was related... once again you insinuate improperly. Amazing.

PS- I like how all the Canadian "fans" come out of the woodwork after the fact... especially for a loss. Time to re-institute the Ice Summit!!!

Old 01-05-2004, 03:00 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Don't drop the soap around DaveC too.

It is so great that Canada gets so into even this tournament. We (here in the states) will be lucky if we hear about it.

Congrats to the USA squad.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:03 PM   #38
Refugee

The Only thing I'd say was slightly unfair was the bad call on USA's Captain Stuart... like McKenzie said on TSN, it was a comparable hit to Dion Phaneuf's shoulder shiver, so Stuart should have gotten at least 5 minutes in turn (automatic, causing injury).

Other than that... the play resided within the efforts of the teams.

Can't ask for more.

Old 01-05-2004, 03:04 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

oh, and, I just want to point out that a lot of credit should be given to USA Hockey for creating the Development Program a few years ago. I am assuming that this victory can be somewhat attributed to the program. It is about time we catch up to the rest of the world.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:06 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

I said his lack of positioning was consistent with his performance... I'm not a jackass who imparts criticism on one instance based on an entire game. But it was related... once again you insinuate improperly. Amazing.

Then write more clearly next time. Besides, I disagree with you that his positioning was "consistent with his performance" on that particular play. As noted, his positioning was a result of being forced to be (due to a "fleury" of activity around the net prior to the save - no pun intended). He was also forced to recover in a most unbelievable manner - which he did.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:06 PM   #41
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!
It is so great that Canada gets so into even this tournament. We (here in the states) will be lucky if we hear about it.
That's what I'm hoping changes... attention to winning. Usually creates an intrinsic patriotic interest that you can't avoid. So get with it south of the border.

A reason why Canada shouldn't be so bitter... it's time this tournament had an interest outside of our territory. Not much fun if no one else cares.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:07 PM   #42
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!
oh, and, I just want to point out that a lot of credit should be given to USA Hockey for creating the Development Program a few years ago. I am assuming that this victory can be somewhat attributed to the program. It is about time we catch up to the rest of the world.
Yes the hothouse has worked... also known as the Canadian sperm donor program.

Old 01-05-2004, 03:09 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

i think this really should end the debate on who is the better overall all country as well

USA USA USA!
Old 01-05-2004, 03:10 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Canada hasn't won this tournament since 1997, despite going to the Gold medal game the last 3 years in a row. Many thought it was wrapped up when they were up 3-1, looking to go up 4-1...and that we'd finally get our gold medal back...but it was not meant to be. That's one thing many can feel bitter about.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:11 PM   #45
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths

Then write more clearly next time.
Yeah, I did make a typo. You actually were able to quote me in between the time I posted and edited... which was less than a minute. Talk about impatient premature posting... I'd suggest you breathe next time. For both our sakes.