2004 World Junior Hockey Championship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pinball Wizard said:
He's not stupid...

I have to disagree with you there.

But it is youthful stupidity. He still has a chance to grow out of it. Teenagers will piss him off someday with their stupidity too. :up:

zoney! said:

So you WANT TO BE REPORTED.

Grow up.

No, of course not.

The signature is not saying "Death to American Hockey" or anything of the like. It is showing my extreme disappointment with the result.

If it had have been a Canada - Russia final and I did that to a Russian Hockey logo I'm sure you wouldn't be so upset. As well, if Canada had won and a US fan did that to a Hockey Canada logo, that wouldn't be a problem, would it?

Chill out, it's just a stupid signature.

I make no apologies whatsoever for it nor do I have any intention of removing it.

DaveC said:

Yes. It is somewhat offensive, but no less offensive than other images being crossed out... this is a hockey related issue, and we've had acceptable sigs bearing the banners of teams--- crossed out.

I guess in an international sense it's sensitive... demeaning possibly. But it's important to realize that it's just a game... and America's victory isn't demoralized because of the reaction of one fan.

Move on.

Let's talk hockey, leave the politics to criminals and Pete Rose...

Wait a second...

:sexywink:

DaveC said:
If it had have been a Canada - Russia final and I did that to a Russian Hockey logo I'm sure you wouldn't be so upset. As well, if Canada had won and a US fan did that to a Hockey Canada logo, that wouldn't be a problem, would it?

I make no apologies whatsoever for it nor do I have any intention of removing it.

I think I would be offended...no matter WHAT country it disrespects. You are being a disrepectful little boy. Grow UP! And, have you noticed that there have been only THREE citizens of the United States of America to post in this thread since the game was decided? Me, Avsgirl and Chizip. We all learned of the results from THIS THREAD. In other words...USA could really give a crap about the victory. If there is more than a blurp on page seven in the "results and standings" of the Sports Sections of the local daily newspaper tomorrow here in Illinois...I will be utterly suprised.

Get over it, and grow up.

Would someone explain to me why this signature is so bloody offensive to everyone? There's an enormous double-standard here.

The only reasons I've gotten so far as to removing the signature are of the type "Nice sig, grow up" or "Dave is stupid".

Not valid reasons. Unless someone can give me a good reason to change it, it won't be changed. Simple as that.

As I said before:

"Chill out. It's just a stupid signature."

I hadn't even heard of this game till I read this thread... now i wanna see the highlights.

eh, its almost baseball season, right?

As well I saw many a signature during playoff time (baseball and hockey), that had team logos crossed out. Someone care to explain how this is any different?

please, youre canadian cujo

america won the tournament, so obviously everyone in america has more girth

DaveC said:
As well I saw many a signature during playoff time (baseball and hockey), that had team logos crossed out. Someone care to explain how this is any different?

I'd refer you to what I said earlier... it's not all bullshit.

And STLElevation that's great.

I hope this thread at least increased the interest for next year... you can at least say in your face Dave if America repeats.

Or, cujo you suck mighty ass.

That's fun shiz too.

:up:

DaveC said:
Would someone explain to me why this signature is so bloody offensive to everyone? There's an enormous double-standard here.

The only reasons I've gotten so far as to removing the signature are of the type "Nice sig, grow up" or "Dave is stupid".

Not valid reasons. Unless someone can give me a good reason to change it, it won't be changed. Simple as that.

As I said before:

"Chill out. It's just a stupid signature."

I am offended, as an American Citizen, to see USA with an X through it...even if it is just for the hockey team.

You must support terrorism too! You really are iggnorant, aren't you. :D

DaveC said:

Like the estimable zoney said...it's an international logo. It's a flag. It's quite different.

None of us want to come off as rabid, flag-waving Americans here, but that is much different than St. Louis logo, or Toronto. And if someone had taken offense to a team logo, they would have been asked to remove it too.

If you had a Russian, Canadian, Swedish or Czech signature, I would still have asked for it to be removed. I follow non-American teams, too.

Pinball Wizard said:

I'd refer you to what I said earlier... it's not all bullshit.

And STLElevation that's great.

I hope this thread at least increased the interest for next year... you can at least say in your face Dave if America repeats.

Or, cujo you suck mighty ass.

That's fun shiz too.

Im there.

by the way, games are won and lost on many a bullshit call. havent seen the highlights granted that, but US won and thats that.

the cardinals lost a world series to the royals over a crap call in the 80's... was it 86? either way, i wasnt alive until 87 when they lost to the twins.

giants appeared to get screwed in the playoffs last year against the 49ers on the last play of the game, but i forget exactly what happened.

point is- games are won and lost many times on the officiating and thats that. no reason to get ripshit over it, to the point of offending people. fine to be pissed, but dont have to offend other people.

unless you know, its costing the cards or bosox a series.

:wink:

zoney! said:

I am offended, as an American Citizen, to see USA with an X through it...even if it is just for the hockey team.

You must support terrorism too! You really are iggnorant, aren't you. :D

Yeesh, you need to calm right down.

Like I said, there's a double-standard here.

The precedent was set during baseball and hockey playoffs. I'm just continuing the tradition.

You're the only one I see who's blowing this thing way out of proportion here.

The USA has the X through it because it is in the middle of the logo, not because I hate the US and support terrorism.

Yeesh. Zeus, give me strength. :rolleyes:

StlElevation said:
point is- games are won and lost many times on the officiating and thats that. no reason to get ripshit over it, to the point of offending people. fine to be pissed, but dont have to offend other people.

Where were you 4 pages ago to agree with me guy?

If our American brethren knew the extent of obsessing we have over this tournament, you might have sympathy for the plight of DaveC.

Don't marginalize his flag-waving if it comes in a different form. We're all assholes underneath our sheaths of ignorance.

Sociable anyone? I've had a few myself I must say...

DaveC said:

one of the problems apparent to me is that your blame for the canadian loss (in large part, at the very least) was explained as being placed on the referee. yet your signature suggests the american team did something wrong.
something doesnt add up. the americans played a good game. as you said somewhere, it was a fairly even tilt-apart from the bounces.

as a devout canadian, you surely shouldnt be shocked that your signature is raising the ire of americans. such outrage is to some extent warranted, based on the person obviously, and entirely predictable.

in spite of the referee, the americans deserved to win just as much as canada. bounces happen.

Last edited:
DaveC said:

Yeesh, you need to calm right down.

Like I said, there's a double-standard here.

The precedent was set during baseball and hockey playoffs. I'm just continuing the tradition.

You're the only one I see who's blowing this thing way out of proportion here.

The USA has the X through it because it is in the middle of the logo, not because I hate the US and support terrorism.

Yeesh. Zeus, give me strength. :rolleyes:

I think Avsgirl has spoken too. It is about a country, and a flag. I would not do the same to the Mable Leaf or Canada...or any country for that matter.

Instead of praying for "strength" - try "maturity" :up:

kobayashi said:

one of the problems apparent to me is that your blame for the canadian loss (in large part, at the very least) was explained as being placed on the referee. yet your signature suggests the american team did something wrong.
something doesnt add up. the americans played a good game. as you said somewhere, it was a fairly even tilt-apart from the bounces.

as a devout canadian, you surely shouldnt be shocked that your signature is raising the ire of americans. such outrage is to some extent warranted, based on the person obviously, and entirely predictable.

You obviously didn't read my previous response:

The signature is not saying "Death to American Hockey" or anything of the like. It is showing my extreme disappointment with the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom