2004 World Junior Hockey Championship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pinball Wizard said:

It was a great effort, but don't overexaggerate. The puck just as easily could have deflected in... Fleury struggled heartily today. Nerves were showing on both goalies.
Cujo, please. You could say that about pretty much any save. The puck could have done this, could have done that... You could make the reverse argument and say every goal the US and Canada scored could have missed the net. That stretch save by Fleury was unbelievable. There is no overexageration. Look at the replay again, kind sir.

By the way, I completely agree with your observation of the delayed off-side rule. It's a great rule -- which used to be in place, I might add -- that should be re-implemented.

I did look at the play Griffey!

I said it was a great effort... but I'm not gonna give him outrageous credit for a shot with a monstrous rebound (hard to avoid in that situation) that was only due to his lack of positioning. A trend that continued throughout the game... I'm not trying to destroy the guy, but it was a brutal outing for him, seeing as that was his only highlight. I suggest that the more emotional fans go take a shower or something...

Pinball Wizard said:
I did look at the play Griffey!

I said it was a great effort... but I'm not gonna give him outrageous credit for a shot with a monstrous rebound (hard to avoid in that situation) that was only due to his lack of positioning. A trend that continued without the game... I'm not trying to destroy the guy, but it was a brutal outing for him, seeing as that was his only highlight.
Since when was I talking about his entire performance? The discussion was about that particular save, which any way you look at it was simply amazing. Yes, he was out of position -- but only because he was forced to be, as you insinuated -- but what made the save amazing was the recovery, itself. Most goaltenders would never have made that save. Fleury got it out of mid air, off a deflection. Amazing.

It was a great game. I have never liked Patrick O'Sullivan's attitude on the ice (I find him to be underhanded), but he played a good game today. Bah.

i think it just goes to show who really is the superior hockey country

this should put any debate to bed

Michael Griffiths said:

Since when was I talking about his entire performance? The discussion was about that particular save, which any way you look at it was simply amazing. Yes, he was out of position -- but only because he was forced to be, as you insinuated -- but what made the save amazing was the recovery, itself. Most goaltenders would never have made that save. Fleury got it out of mid air, off a deflection. Amazing.

I said his lack of positioning was consistent with his performance... I'm not a jackass who imparts criticism on one instance based on an entire game. But it was related... once again you insinuate improperly. Amazing.

:sexywink:

PS- I like how all the Canadian "fans" come out of the woodwork after the fact... especially for a loss. Time to re-institute the Ice Summit!!!

:down:

Don't drop the soap around DaveC too.

It is so great that Canada gets so into even this tournament. We (here in the states) will be lucky if we hear about it. :tsk:

Congrats to the USA squad. :up:

The Only thing I'd say was slightly unfair was the bad call on USA's Captain Stuart... like McKenzie said on TSN, it was a comparable hit to Dion Phaneuf's shoulder shiver, so Stuart should have gotten at least 5 minutes in turn (automatic, causing injury).

Other than that... the play resided within the efforts of the teams.

Can't ask for more.

:up:

oh, and, I just want to point out that a lot of credit should be given to USA Hockey for creating the Development Program a few years ago. I am assuming that this victory can be somewhat attributed to the program. It is about time we catch up to the rest of the world.

Pinball Wizard said:

I said his lack of positioning was consistent with his performance... I'm not a jackass who imparts criticism on one instance based on an entire game. But it was related... once again you insinuate improperly. Amazing.

Then write more clearly next time. :sexywink: Besides, I disagree with you that his positioning was "consistent with his performance" on that particular play. As noted, his positioning was a result of being forced to be (due to a "fleury" of activity around the net prior to the save - no pun intended). He was also forced to recover in a most unbelievable manner - which he did.

zoney! said:
It is so great that Canada gets so into even this tournament. We (here in the states) will be lucky if we hear about it.

That's what I'm hoping changes... attention to winning. Usually creates an intrinsic patriotic interest that you can't avoid. So get with it south of the border.

A reason why Canada shouldn't be so bitter... it's time this tournament had an interest outside of our territory. Not much fun if no one else cares.

zoney! said:
oh, and, I just want to point out that a lot of credit should be given to USA Hockey for creating the Development Program a few years ago. I am assuming that this victory can be somewhat attributed to the program. It is about time we catch up to the rest of the world.

Yes the hothouse has worked... also known as the Canadian sperm donor program.

i think this really should end the debate on who is the better overall all country as well

USA USA USA!

Canada hasn't won this tournament since 1997, despite going to the Gold medal game the last 3 years in a row. Many thought it was wrapped up when they were up 3-1, looking to go up 4-1...and that we'd finally get our gold medal back...but it was not meant to be. That's one thing many can feel bitter about.

Michael Griffiths said:

Then write more clearly next time.

Yeah, I did make a typo. You actually were able to quote me in between the time I posted and edited... which was less than a minute. Talk about impatient premature posting... I'd suggest you breathe next time. For both our sakes.

DaveC said:
Fuck Tomas Andersson. Get your damn skate out of the way you stupid jackass. You were the difference in the whole tournament. Looks like your goal of fucking over Canada was successful after all...God knows you've been screwing us all tournament.

Anyone who says that the US deserved to win that game doesn't know what they're talking about. They got 2 extremely lucky goals, one of the referee's skate, and one off a lucky bounce. The USA did NOT deserve to win this, Canada had a slight edge the whole game and the Americans got lucky, and anybody who says the Americans deserved to win that has either never played a second of hockey in their lives, or don't know what they're talking about, or both. :rant:

Fuck I am angry right now. :madspit:

Nice signature there, buddy. :rolleyes:

And have YOU ever played a second of hockey in YOUR life? I'm curious.

Pinball Wizard said:
Anyone that blames the referee's skate... instead of Fleury's complete ineptitude to behind the net traffic doesn't know what they're talking about.

Don't be stupid.

I know what I'm talking about. I'm a Hockey Canada level 3 referee, qualified to call any Minor Hockey game as well as line any game up to and including a Major Junior game. I'm well aware of the international rules. The officiating in this tournament, particularly from Tomas Andersson, has been extremely biased against Canada. He could quite easily have gotten out of the way of that shot by simply lifting his skate a inch. He knew that if that puck his his skate that it would stay in. Now I am not saying that he meant to purposefully do what he did, because I can't read the, but it would have taken next to no effort to get out of the way of that puck, and combined with the slant against Canada that this man had, I certainly would not have been surprised.

Don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to officiating or hockey in general for that matter.

Don't drop the soap around DaveC too.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? :eyebrow:

DaveC said:
Anyone who says that the US deserved to win that game doesn't know what they're talking about.

I take back the disowning comment.

Don't kick this man while he's down. I was once like this... don't worry DaveC. In this darkest of time, I'll be your athletic support!

AvsGirl41 said:

Nice signature there, buddy. :rolleyes:

Yeah it is pretty sweet, isn't it? :wink:

And have YOU ever played a second of hockey in YOUR life? I'm curious.

Yep. I've played for the past 9 years, and right now I play Midget AAA hockey for Sackville, as well, like I said I referee.

DaveC said:

Don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to officiating or hockey in general for that matter.

I imagine you would be offered this courtesy, if you gave everyone in this forum the same respect.

And since I've paid my dues to USA Hockey, (I play too, it's not that valid of a credential) I second zoney about the signature.

Last edited:
DaveC said:
Don't be stupid.

Ok!

But let me play the Devil's advocate... you know, for shits and giggles. Let's suppose that this ref did have it in for Canada... did it stop them from destroying other squads to the tune of 32-5 in their first five games? I believe the ref you're referring to was residing over at least 3 of these games...

I would give your comment more credence if you didn't deliver in the most heinous of drunken stupors, but really this play had no effect on the game. Canada regained momentum, scored a further two goals... and blew it by playing outside of their system, and allowing the Americans to pass uncontested through center ice. A travesty of grandoise proportions indeed! I've got an itching for a hangin' and I got a noose for a ref! Ho yeah.

No DaveC, maybe it wasn't the ref. Maybe Canada just lost a game... and a further maybe, you could at least represent the hockey cadre of this country with a little more dignity than a strikethru against America. Grow up man!

And post more logic, or you'll be post-mortem!

Last edited:
Chizip said:
i think this really should end the debate on who is the better overall all country as well

USA USA USA!
I think you and DaveC best take this to a hockey pub... preferably in Newfoundland... would be quite the scene. Of course, I'd want pictures...

Pinball Wizard said:
and a further maybe, you could at least represent the hockey cadre of this country with a little more dignity than a strikethru against America. Grow up man!

Cujo...never fear...we (the Americans) know that this is an indivual's stupidity and does not represent Canada as a whole.

We will not send National Guardsmen across the border.

Last edited:
I think it's heart-warming to see such a disregard for respect and the intelligence of the people here, by condescendingly lecturing everyone a dose of good old Canadian superiority!

Dave, we must be closely related.

OK, so I've calmed down slightly now. I am still angry and upset, but less furious.

I said some things in error, if you were offended by them, I apologize, but I take nothing back.

I still believe that that play (the skate) more or less did cost them the game, I don't say that that was the ONLY reason they lost (they did blow a 2-goal lead all on their own), but had that play not occurred, the puck would have been cleared, and the game would probably have ended 3-3 and gone into overtime instead of 4-3. So you can't deny that that DID have a huge factor in the outcome.

PS: The signature stays until an Administrator tells me to remove it.

zoney! said:

Cujo...never fear...we (the Americans) know that this is an indivuals stupidity and does not represent Canada as a whole.

He's not stupid... just angry.

I understand Dave. Come back from that ledge and we'll all have donuts.

Is that moderator position still open?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom