2004 NHL Offseason Moves thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
So the draft was just the other day, the Blues got a steal in getting goalie Schwartz at number 17. Plus the Blues traded a conditional 4th round pick to get Lalime. Sure he lets in the occasional soft goal but he is better than anything the Blues have had recently. I can't believe Ottawa is banking on Hasek to be their number 1 goalie.

This could be a loooooooooong offseason, so there should be plenty to talk about.

Yeah, that was a weak move by Ottawa. Giving up Bonk for virtually nothing... and in return Montreal picking him up in an awesome deal (basically traded a back-up for a back-up, and received one of the best power forwards imo)... and then going with Has-been.

Ouch Ottawa. Very ouch.

Montreal is looking good for the future though. Way to turn the team around Gainey.

:up:

Marek Schwartz is overrated. I saw him play in the WJHC 2 years ago in Halifax. WAYY overrated.

How about Phoenix picking Blake Wheeler?? Talk about way off the board! :eek:

DaveC said:
How about Phoenix picking Blake Wheeler?? Talk about way off the board! :eek:

Have you seen Wheeler play yet? I have. :up:

He was rated as a top 15 pick for the draft...and will develop into an exceptional player.

DaveC said:
Marek Schwartz is overrated. I saw him play in the WJHC 2 years ago in Halifax. WAYY overrated.

somehow this gives me confidence that he will become a perrenial all star

Pronger is the one expensive player the Blues won't get rid of, they still want to build a team around him. They will try to get a long term deal with him, but if not then they will make the qualifying offer

All other over priced blues players, tkachuk, weight, demitra could, and probably should be traded

demitra is for sure gonna be gone

radek?

Pinball Wizard said:
Bonk...one of the best power forwards imo

wow. youre the biggest radek bonk fan ever.

-

muckler is grasping with his hasek pickup. while superior to lalime, his health is not assured and the senators glaring weakness (leadership) could only be addressed with the addition of someone in a gary roberts mould. lalime may have let soft goals in torontos game 7, but the team repeatedly folded throughout the series...and the decade for that matter.

-

looks like belfour and toronto are on the outs, at least for now. eddie wants a 3 year deal, hes 39. and has a bad back.
kevin weekes might be a valuable commodity for the leafs.

Last edited:
zoney! said:

Have you seen Wheeler play yet? I have. :up:

He was rated as a top 15 pick for the draft...and will develop into an exceptional player.

He can't be any good if he's from Minnesota. Shhhh.

Re: radek?

kobayashi said:
wow. youre the biggest radek bonk fan ever

Yeah. In hindsight that was a bit of an oversell. I was hoping no one would notice. Regardless, good move by Montreal.

Considering all the free agent groups that Muckler has to deal with, goaltending should have been his last concern.

I'm surprised that Ferguson was able to get Roberts and Nieuwendyk under contract. Be interesting to see what happens with Belfour... sounds like he wants long-term, and the Leafs want short-term.

the belfour contract is outrageous.

the maple leafs arent lending virtue to bettmans claim of a league in crisis.

I'm not saying that Schwartz will never be good.

I'm just saying that right now, he's overrated.

I'm sure he will be a great goalie with some work but right now he's not some uber-goalie like some seem to be suggesting.

Ha ha, I have thoughts! :wink:

My hatred for the Avs goes so far beyond the Skoula trade now.
This is exactly the kind of crap I'm sick of.

I had no love for Granato, but Lacroix made statement after statement about how they were keeping him. The minute Quenneville became available, I suspected he'd end up behind Colorado's bench. There was no way that Granato wouldn't be made the scapegoat for this disasterous season. Everyone knew it. Why does the Avalanche front office persist in playing these silly mind games? Like anyone in the NHL really cares.

Quenneville had no success in St. Louis and I predict he will have no success here. The only reason he's been hired is he's a buddy of Lacroix and will keep to "the party line." You'll notice Lacroix does not stray out of his little circle of friends when hiring for the bench.

Unless we have a coach who is willing to go against Lacroix, or our magnificent GM is chucked out on his ass, Colorado will never win another Cup.

I wouldn't say Joel had no success in St. Louis... they did win the President's Trophy, and went a respectable distance in the playoffs a few times.

That's a nice slap in the face for Granato though.

:up:

Lost the Northwest title for the first time in their 9 years here.

Only made it one round farther than they had the season before. They nearly were ousted that first round, they were hanging on their fingernails the whole time. It was embarressing.

For the Avs, with the talent they had, it was a disaster. When a team fronted by Sakic, Kariya, Selanne, Forsberg, et. al., is reduced to dragging an injured Alex Tanguay (who was re-injured so badly, he's undergone serious surgery) on the ice to save their ass, it's a disaster.

I don't think Quenneville is a bad coach, but I just don't think he's outstanding or that he'll have much luck here.

Maybe another President's Trophy. :yawn: :wink:

This team will not win another Cup. They are cursed and dead to me. Everyone saw what happened this season! :mac:

Who did Vancouver get?

I heard Nazzy is selling his house in Point Grey, and Tuzzy is selling his home in West Van. Does this mean the Canucks are severely hooooped if hockey starts again? :(

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:
Who did Vancouver get?

I heard Nazzy is selling his house in Point Grey, and Tuzzy is selling his home in West Van. Does this mean the Canucks are severely hooooped if hockey starts again? :(

The 'nucks are always "hooooped" when the season starts.

Back
Top Bottom