2004 IIHF World Men's Hockey Championship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:up:
hooray for us.
my world cup exhibition tickets arrived.
my toronto and montreal tickets should be here soon.

can someone from Canada fill in the rest of the world (U.S. of A.) what happened here. I am not sure who was playing, what they where playing....and why there is all this canuckial-back patting!

I mean, even in the most hockiest of hockey places here in the old U.S. of A. - I have been unable to find info on what this competition is all about.

:uhoh:

No kidding. :|

I was trying to follow the Czech Republic and couldn't even find the roster until they had been ousted by the USA. My boy scored!

I'm also trying to find the Czech World Cup Jersey--I found blank ones, but I want one with a name on it.

Hey zonelistener II,

The World Hockey Championships are an annual event put on by the IIHF (the international hockey body that is the mediating board between the IOC and the NHL for Olympic hockey decisions). It is the basis for hockey world rankings, which in turn affects the grouping for the Olympics as well as future international competitions (eg. the World Cup).

This year the US beat Slovakia in a shootout to win the bronze medal. Ty Conklin (USA) was named Goalie of the tournament I believe... and he did play tremendous. A much better showing for the States, considering the less than flattering 13th place last year... can anyone say relegation?

For the most part it is a good tournament, although it isn't as much of a showcase compared to the Olympics or World Cup. Seeing as the talent pool basically consists of players from NHL teams that didn't make the playoffs.

:up:

GARY#2 said:
... can anyone say relegation?

pffft.

one poor showing.

The children are our future (Under-19). I am sure there isn't a Canadian on Interference (and even some of the non-Canadians :wink: ) that will soon forget that!

Go Ty! Go other sons of the revolution (who actually are products of the red coats - the mounties, that is.)

Actually it's been a collection of poor showings... although a lot of the elite American players have been tied up in the playoffs (even now, with Roenick, Leclair, etc.) for the past several years. In addition, the European players have familiarity with the international game, and their linemates... it's not difficult to see why North America was in a drought for so long.

ESPN broadcasted the U.S. vs. Sweden game, i think. i wasn't home.

zoney! said:
I like the czech jerseys/sweaters from the olympics...anything like that?

Yes, they're pretty much the same only in white.

Here is a picture of Skoula modeling the jersey:
IHCZE12802197901.jpg

The official website is selling them for $50.00 euros which isn't bad, but they don't have player names on them.

I have Skoula's Olympic one, but it's a weird replica version made by Martin Straka's company. It also could fit two of me in it, it's so huge. :der: I would like a new one I could actually wear... :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom