2003/2004 NHL Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Griff Dog.....you should make a Canuck topic to rant and rave in about the most elite team in NHL history, this way most of us can just skip over the dribble and talk about the season. Frankly I think you work for the Canucks the way you rant and rave some days.

AvsGirl - The difference with Dallas and Detroit is they haven't lost arguably their most important player. Losing Roy is like losing Yzerman or Shanahan (probably both combined). It's probably worse than losing Forsberg or Sakic. Roy was more than just the best goaltender in the NHL; he was also their best leader. His presence was irreplacable. Also, Drury and Deadmarsh were vital, and the bottom two lines are always important. Too many changes disrupt team chemestry. This is why Brian Burke has opted not to make too many changes in Vancouver, even though he's had ample opportunity. Chemistry goes a long way. Like I said, though, I suspect Colorado will remain elite - but right now, it's simply too early to tell. The standings certainly don't reflect it. Right now, I'm giving them time to prove it.

Last edited:
Edgeman said:
Hey Griff Dog.....you should make a Canuck topic to rant and rave in about the most elite team in NHL history, this way most of us can just skip over the dribble and talk about the season. Frankly I think you work for the Canucks the way you rant and rave some days.
Jealousy will get you nowhere. :sexywink:

did you see there was almost a fight tonight during warmups?

another playoff series between these two teams would be brutal

its starting to turn into quite the rivalry, its a shame the next game isnt until january

Yeah, I did see that. They looked to be in good spirits actually. Talk about a chipy affair afterwards though.

I've told you before how much I respect Doug Weight as a quality player. But why would he go after a finesse player like one of the Sedins? He intentionally cross checked him to the eye area of his face. Not only that, it was away from the play. I couldn't believe he did that, to be honest. He isn't usually a dirty player in that way. I suspect he'll get 3 or 4 games for that. Shots to the head area are something the NHL is trying to crack down on.

Michael Griffiths said:
Yeah, I did see that. They looked to be in good spirits actually. Talk about a chipy affair afterwards though.

I've told you before how much I respect Doug Weight as a quality player. But why would he go after a finesse player like one of the Sedins? He intentionally cross checked him to the eye area of his face. Not only that, it was away from the play. I couldn't believe he did that, to be honest. He isn't usually a dirty player in that way. I suspect he'll get 3 or 4 games for that. Shots to the head area are something the NHL is trying to crack down on.

it was a love tap

sedin hit him and weight hit him back but he is short and his face got in the way

i mean there wasnt even a penalty called, so even the refs thought it was a clean play

So there was a great game that didn't involve the Canucks or Blues (Never!) on tonight. The Oilers vs. the Sens. good back and forth action....even thought it ended in a tie it was a good game anyway.

Chizip said:

it was a love tap

sedin hit him and weight hit him back but he is short and his face got in the way

i mean there wasnt even a penalty called, so even the refs thought it was a clean play
The refs are blind. But this isn't about the refs. This is about a very dirty play that knocked Sedin's teeth out. If it was clean, why is Weight likely going to be suspended?

not the injuries, but its known ever since the blues started the trend of high price free agency the league has tried to screw them

see having to forfeit scott stevens and 5 first round picks for signing brendan shanahan

Last edited:
Sedin was spitting Chiclets? I never get to see that stuff. :|

So, the Phoenix-Colorado game was the most boring game I've seen this season. I went and watched ER, as usual and missed the good (Avs scoring) bits.

i'm a few pages off here... but it's hard to keep up with you hockey fuckers... can you really consider a franchise like ottawa to be elite when they can't even afford to pay their own players? i guess if you're talking about who has the elite teams currently, then yeah... you'd have to say teams like ottawa and nu joisey... i guess maybe it's just my degree in sports management comming out again, but if you asked me to list the "elite" franchises in the NHL, it would have to be, in no particular order, the rangers, bruins, maple leafs, canadians, red wings and blackhawks... and possiably the avalanche based on their success since leaving quebec :shrug:

Last edited:
you guys are insane. really. i wish i had any idea what you were talking about. :crack:

*sits quietly in the corner and finishes reading*

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'm a few pages off here... but it's hard to keep up with you hockey fuckers... can you really consider a franchise like ottawa to be elite when they can't even afford to pay their own players? i guess if you're talking about who has the elite teams currently, then yeah... you'd have to say teams like ottawa and nu joisey... i guess maybe it's just my degree in sports management comming out again, but if you asked me to list the "elite" franchises in the NHL, it would have to be, in no particular order, the rangers, bruins, maple leafs, canadians, red wings and blackhawks... and possiably the avalanche based on their success since leaving quebec :shrug:
The Rangers? The Blackhawks? The Maple Leafs? The Canadiens? I would have thought you were completely joking, but then I noticed you included the Red Wings and Avalanche. The Rangers have like one Cup in over 50 years, and haven't even made the playoffs since '97. The Blackhawks, well, they're the blackhawks. Abysmal to say the least. The Maple Leafs are the joke of the NHL right now, and the Canadiens have been in a rebuilding stage since '95.

Looks like Weight is likely going to get 5 games or more...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=59712&hubName=nhl

Weight faces NHL discipline hearing

sedin_weight_44292.jpg

TSN.ca Staff

11/7/2003

Doug Weight is likely to be suspended today and it could be a significant one.

The St. Louis Blue centre will have a disciplinary hearing with the NHL today for a vicious crosscheck to the face of Vancouver's Henrik Sedin in last night's emotional Blues' victory over the Canucks.

Sedin was holding up Weight in the neutral zone when the usually composed Weight turned and cross-checked Sedin in the face, cutting him around the eye area.

Weight's presence was requested at an in-person hearing with NHL vice president Colin Campbell, which means unless there are mitigating circumstances the player could be looking at a suspension of five or more games.

Telephone hearings generally carry a penalty of four games or less.

Weight reportedly waived his right to appear in person, which means the hearing will be conducted by telephone, but the league is still entitled to levy the heavier suspension (five or more games) if it decides that is warranted.

if he gets 5 games id be surprised and disappointed, im thinkinging 2-3

its all about intent, he wasnt trying to hit him in the face, he was just returning a hit that sedin gave him and accidentally got him up high in the heat of the moment

i honestly think he was just trying to go for the body. but i guess breaking someones leg is a 2 game suspension, while giving someone a bloody nose is 5+. right.

Ah, homerism at its best. There was clear intent to injure. Take a look at the little picture above (within the bigger picture - no, I'm not being mataphorical). Weight's stick and hands are clearly pointed *upwards* to the face. If that's not intentional, as you say, then he's the most careless player I've ever seen, who needs to learn some control of his motor skills. As we know, Weight has some of the finest motor skills in the league. Therefore, to assume their was no intent is clearly naive and biased.

please, on the way up to the boards weight is getting speared and slashed constantly which is ok by the nhl these days if its minor and no one gets hurt, and so you get damn frustrated and turn really quick and give a quick cross check

your on skates, your mad, you arent looking, you turn and the stick goes up the arm and into the face, i still dont think it was intentionally to the face

it wasnt like sedin was along the boards and weight had a few steps to skate in, line him up, and give him a wack to the face

they were along the boards scuffling, weight turned around to give him a hit really quick and got him in the face, like i said it should be 2-3 games because it was careless, but not more because the intent to injure wasnt there

maybe if the league would take out the instigator penalty then we could get rid of the stick work crap that leads to this stuff

maybe weight should have just broken his leg instead so he would only get a 2 game suspension, because breaking someones leg isnt that big of a deal in the nhl i guess

You know, I had to laugh when you said last night that Sedin's face got in the way "cause he's short". If this is the premise you're basing your argument on, think again. Sedin is 6-2. Weight is 5-11. You really think it's that easy to hit a guy in the face who's that much taller, if you were aiming for his shoulder? Unlikely. Therefore, I don't buy the idea that there was no intent.

Further, it doesn't matter whether it was premeditated. He could have decided to whack him in the face right there in the moment, which is what it very much looked like. Either way, it is inexcusable intent to injure whether premeditated or not.

PS. Why do you keep bringing up other cases that have nothing to do with this one? Nice try. :wink:

im just bringing up the ridiculousness of the league

2 games for breaking someones leg and causing a guy to miss a month or so

but maybe 5+ games for someone who got a cut in the face and missed 1 shift?

if weight was really trying to injure him, trust me, he could have done a lot more damage

you could say any slash is an intent to injury, i mean what other reason is there to slash someone other than to try to injure them? hell sedin should get a suspension too he slashed weight a couple times before weight did that, so he was trying to inure weight first

and im sure there is no homerism in your point of view :rolleyes:

Okay, I'll bite. The slash to Zetterburg was a routine slash to get him off his game during the powerplay. It was a routine whack to the leg, which happens a hundred times a game. Unfortunately for Zetterburg (and for Allen), it resulted in a very rare consequence. 999 times out of 1000, nothing would have happened, no bone would have broken. I believe that consequence *should* factor into the equation of any suspension, so therefore I believe Allen should have been suspended. But because he didn't intend to injure the player, he wasn't suspended for longer than two games. I happen to think that he should have been suspended longer, though, because the injury is a huge blow to the Red Wings, and Allen has to bare that responsbility if he caused it with an illegal play. I agree this is where the league needs to review their policies.

However, that said, intent also has to be taken into account. And since Weight clearly intended to cross check Sedin to the face, he deserves more than 2 games. Otherwise, where's the deterrence? What's to stop a player from slashing someone across their eyes, if they know the player will likely just suffer a minor injury and the perpetrator will get off lightly?

If someone were to, for example, shoot an innocent victim on the street but misses his target, don't you think it is still more of a crime than, say, if a person punches someone causing him to be hospitalized? In the first scenario, the victim escapes with absolutely no damage (no consequence), but it is still attempted murder, and therefore the crime is worse than punching the victim in the other scenario. Granted, these are extreme examples, but it's something to think about. Weight's intentions were far worse than Allen's.

well thats where you are wearing your vancouver glasses and im wearing my blues glasses

you think there was intent to injure, while i think there really wasnt

truth is, neither of us will never really know what was going through weights mind

and like i said, what slash is not an intent to injure? what good does "whacking someone in the leg" do other than to hurt them and disrupt them?

officiating in the nhl is a joke, they should just get rid of them and let the players play and take care of thier own business, it wouldnt be any worse then whats going on now

Chizip said:
and like i said, what slash is not an intent to injure? what good does "whacking someone in the leg" do other than to hurt them and disrupt them?
Not all slashes are meant to sustain injury. Many are aimed to, as you say, "disrupt" while also annoy and cause pain. These types of actions are supposed to be taken care of by the on ice officials. However, if the slash is intended to do more than this and/or results in a more severe consequence, that's when suspension has to come into play. Therefore, it's not a good line of defence to use to justify the kind of cross check Doug Weight used, IMO.

So he gets off with a 4 game suspension (in person hearings are normally 5 or more):

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp;jsessionid=LOOPMGCBFFEN?content=20031107_100708_2460

League hits Weight with four game suspension

Weight will begin serving the suspension on Saturday, when the Blues host the Florida Panthers. He will be eligible to return on Nov. 19 when the Blues visit Phoenix.

Sportsnet.ca - Doug Weight's fancy stick work will cost him four games.

The NHL has suspended the Blues forward for high sticking Henrik Sedin in the face Thursday night.

The incident occured during Thursday's Blues-Canucks game in St. Louis. No penalty was called on the play.

"I was upset because I was watching the referee and I'm sure he saw it and he chose not to call it," Vancouver coach Marc Crawford said after his club lost the contest 3-2. "Those are the ones you get upset about."

The 32-year-old Weight has six goals and 10 points in 11 games this season. The Blues do not play again until Saturday night, when they host the Florida Panthers.

Back
Top Bottom