2003/2004 NHL Season - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2003, 06:09 AM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:08 AM
Yes, I can't believe Kariya is out! And he's my best offensive weapon in the fantasy pool. Oh well, better now than later I guess.

I think the Avs are basically an all star team without 2 bottom lines. Their bottom two lines don't need to be all-stars, but they should at least be competent in the fundamentals of the game...something that has been lacking as of late. I don't really know why, but many are saying Granato is making bad decisions matching lines. You look at Colorado, and they have 6 great forwards and 2 great defensemen, but after that they have very little. Maybe they need to spread the all stars around more? I'm not sure. I don't think the Sakic line has enough grit (or is playing with enough grit) to be successful. It's like they're playing shinny hockey, but doing it in the NHL. Even the Oilers didn't do that back in the day, as Kurri and Tikanen were always defensively responsible...so we can forget the old "It worked in the 80s argument"...

I think the Avs will figure it out soon (they're too talented, smart, and experienced not to)...and come playoff time, I don't think you'll see anyone talking anymore about how overrated they are. They'll be just fine.

Old 10-24-2003, 12:08 AM   #77
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:08 PM
Now THAT was a game....

Too bad I switched over to "ER", 5 seconds of Kovac just wasn't worth it.

Old 10-24-2003, 01:13 AM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I don't get it: The Avs score 6 goals, yet Sakic is held pointles!?!? There is no justice!
Old 10-24-2003, 03:40 AM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Just heard MAJOR news - I hope this isn't true, but someone who claims to have inside information is saying that Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich has bought the Canucks, and the deal will be announced sometime in the near future. He supposedly wants to make the entire team Russian. This would be HORRIBLE. Not because I have anything against Russians, but because over the past few seasons, the Canucks have built their team from scratch into the most exciting team in the NHL...and the players are like family now. Brendan Morrison grew up just outside of Vancouver, and the rest of the players have Vancouver in their blood now. What makes our team great is diversity...and now someone wants to turn it into one nationality??? I really hope this is the work of someone with far too much time on their hands...and not true!
Old 10-24-2003, 11:53 AM   #80
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:08 PM
In other Russian news, Jagr says he will play in Russia if there's a holdout next season.

Jagr is Czech....he wears a 68 on his back in memory of the Prague Spring. He feels pretty strongly about the Russians.

I don't understand that at all.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:49 PM   #81
Refugee

Local Time: 08:08 PM
The owner just can't make the team Russian....there has to be some kind of "safety messure" to prevent something like that from happening.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:53 PM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:08 PM
heres a tip, dont believe anything griffiths says

he has that disclaimer in his sig for a reason, he loves to bullshit
Old 10-24-2003, 04:04 PM   #83
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Edgeman
The owner just can't make the team Russian....there has to be some kind of "safety messure" to prevent something like that from happening.
honestly, you'd think so.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:28 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
heres a tip, dont believe anything griffiths says

he has that disclaimer in his sig for a reason, he loves to bullshit
You don't believe me that someone stated they had inside info on this? I personally hope it's not true, but check out this thread... This was first brought up because of a semi reliable source - a Vancouver radio station claimed last night there is truth to the rumour. The person who claims to have inside info begins posting on page 3, and goes by "Alfredo77"...

http://forum.canucks.com/viewtopic.php?t=26739

Remember, I said I hope it's B.S... so I'm not the one doing the bullshitting...
Old 10-24-2003, 04:31 PM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

heres a tip griffdawg

dont trust anonymous postings on message boards

especially when its absurd as that

and then especially dont continue to spread the bs to other boards, you just make yourself look like as big a jackass as the first guy who posted it
Old 10-24-2003, 04:37 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Edgeman
How could the NHL possibly control what nationality of player, or how many, the owner wants to sign? There's nothing written in the CBA about that, and nor could there be. Otherwise, what would they do - make a provision that says no more than X number of players must be Canadian, no more than Y number must be Slovakian, and so on? I could never see it...just wouldn't make sense. Vancouver already has 7 Swedes...would that be the new quota? Given the complexities already involved in player acquisitions and need fulfillments, it would be far too sinuous.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:39 PM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
heres a tip griffdawg

dont trust anonymous postings on message boards

especially when its absurd as that

and then especially dont continue to spread the bs to other boards, you just make yourself look like as big a jackass as the first guy who posted it
Uhm, that's why I said it was probably bull shit, and prefaced it by saying it was someone "claiming" to have inside info. There's a thought...
Old 10-24-2003, 04:42 PM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

it would be the stupidest thing in the world for an owner to do

if all the other owners knew the guy only wanted russians, they could take advantage of the situation and screw him on deals

and it would make terrible business sense, i know if an owner bought the blues and got rid of all of their players and rebuilt it as his own little russian team, i wouldnt support them and i doubt many people in the city would

the whole thign is just absurd
Old 10-24-2003, 04:50 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It's a miracle, a miracle, a MIRACLE!!!

Finally we agree!
Old 10-24-2003, 05:00 PM   #90
Refugee

Local Time: 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths

How could the NHL possibly control what nationality of player, or how many, the owner wants to sign? There's nothing written in the CBA about that, and nor could there be. Otherwise, what would they do - make a provision that says no more than X number of players must be Canadian, no more than Y number must be Slovakian, and so on? I could never see it...just wouldn't make sense. Vancouver already has 7 Swedes...would that be the new quota? Given the complexities already involved in player acquisitions and need fulfillments, it would be far too sinuous.
That's not what I meant. All I'm saying is that thee shoudl be some sort of clause that prevents an owner from just destroying a team to make it a national team like this guy suposedly wants to do. No one would be a Canuck fan again.