2003/2004 NHL Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with you, Edgeman, but it would still be a very difficult thing to control. An owner could manipulate any such rule by adding and trading players to his liking, while always maintaining a healthy dose of players from a certain nationality. It wouldn't be a "national team" per say, but for all intensive purposes, it would be just the same. By defintion, he couldn't play a national team in the NHL anyway, since the schedules would conflict. I realize this isn't what you meant, either, but the point is, how could anyone employ a clause such as this when the definition of "national" would have to mean something (ie, a certain number of players of a given nationality, for example). That's why they'd have to make quotas, and that's where they'd run into problems.

I just realized that we get all the Avalanches games televised here. Looks like AvsGirl and I will have something to talk about now (other than slutty things)

u2popmofo said:
I just realized that we get all the Avalanches games televised here. Looks like AvsGirl and I will have something to talk about now (other than slutty things)

:flirt:

Slutty hockey is my favorite thing to talk about. No high sticking. :mac:

Gaborik can go suck a lemon with all his bitching about money these days. I hate these whiny little bitches complaining that they aren't getting payed enough to play the game of hockey. So big deal that he had a good year last year.....no one is worth the amount of money these guys are getting paid.

I just hope that the new CBA has a salary cap in it. It works in the NFL and NBA....why not in the NHL?

Oh and Griffs....

If an owner decided to fire everyone on his staff in order to kill a team to make it something like a Russian national team, I guess that's his choice. He would need to get a really good GM to try and make these moves. But I imagine that no one would pay money to see a semi-national team in of all places Vancouver. No fan money equals no money for the team, which means no team....the true death of the Canucks.

Also about those quotas...they wouldn't, and couldn't do that.....but there is also no way a team could consist of just one nationality. They would basically be playing with minor hockey guys, most of which would probably not be in the NHLPA....which is another wrinkle in the works.

Sorry lemon, but when players hold out for more money it just makes me mad. they work all their lives to play in the NHL, then when they get there they become kids again wanting "more more more!". Makes me mad.

I get mad about it too, but I also like it when my team scores more goals.

For some reason I get more mad about the amount of money Football players make. They play one game a week and the season is so short. Hockey players work their asses off.

(I was just giving you a little crap earlier.) :wink:

I may be clueless here--but can someone explain to me why so many players are like "Yeah, they have to cap the salaries, this is crazy, I want to play next season" etc., and yet the NHLPA is unwilling to negotiate. The NHLPA is *their* union--don't they control it? Or is this all just fan-friendly rhetoric that I'm falling for?

I've always thought that hockey players were the least greedy of professional athletes, but I may just be biased.

Michael Griffiths said:
I think the Avs will figure it out soon (they're too talented, smart, and experienced not to)...and come playoff time, I don't think you'll see anyone talking anymore about how overrated they are.

Yes, they'll be more apt to talk of the Avs improved handicap... come playoff time.

:up:

Lemon Meringue said:
I get mad about it too, but I also like it when my team scores more goals.

For some reason I get more mad about the amount of money Football players make. They play one game a week and the season is so short. Hockey players work their asses off.

(I was just giving you a little crap earlier.) :wink:

football players take a hell of a beating on every play in every game. there is a reason there is only 1 game a week because without the recovery theyd kill each other. the way it is now most players play every week with serious injuries. there was a show that showed the morning ritual of a running back in the nfl, and it took him an hour just to get out of bed, he was so sore and there were bruises all over his body, ande his knees were so bad. an hour just to get out of bed, yet was still going to go play football.

besides, players should be paid on the amount of revenue they bring in. owners are in essence selling their players, and the more they can bring in for their players, the more valuable the players are and should be paid. jut look at the tv deals, each nhl team gets about 6 million a year from the current tv deal, while nfl teams get 77 million, enough to cover their entire teams salary.

so obviously football players are worth more money if they are bringing in the big money. this is a big problem in the nhl, players think they are worth the same as other sports, but the nhl financial model cant support it, they dont have the revenues to pay them. the blues lost 40 million dollars last year trying to field a competitive team, its nuts, and hopefully the new cba will be able to do something about this.

oh and lastly, football players contracts arent guarenteed, just the signing bonus. so if someone signs an 8 year 120 million dollar contract with no signing bonus, he could get cut the next day and get nothing. so they have to go out and earn it every week or else they wont get it, they cant sign a big contract and then take it easy.

ok that turned out longer than i originally inteded, sorry.

Last edited:
Edgeman said:
Oh and Griffs....

If an owner decided to fire everyone on his staff in order to kill a team to make it something like a Russian national team, I guess that's his choice. He would need to get a really good GM to try and make these moves. But I imagine that no one would pay money to see a semi-national team in of all places Vancouver. No fan money equals no money for the team, which means no team....the true death of the Canucks.

Also about those quotas...they wouldn't, and couldn't do that.....but there is also no way a team could consist of just one nationality. They would basically be playing with minor hockey guys, most of which would probably not be in the NHLPA....which is another wrinkle in the works.
You know what? Many die hard fans of the current team wouldn't pay to see a team of Russian all stars, but there are MANY bandwagon fans in Vancouver who would - not to mention the fact there is a very large Russian population in Vancouver. I think if there is any place in North America where an all Russian team would survive, it would have to be Vancouver....an city in which anything goes since it's so ethnically diverse (ironic, though, that the team wouldn't be).

I don't know if I agree with you either that the team could not consist of one nationality based on your argument they'd be using minor leagers. I don't think they'd have to. Roman Abramovich owns a Russian Elite team, so I hear. Many players in the Russian Elite league are good enough to play in the NHL, and many come to play in the NHL. He may simply transfer players over, while also offering the big name Russian NHL stars twice the money they make on other clubs. This is what he did with his soccer team, Chelsea, and he's turned the club into a contender.

didnt you just agree with me that it was an utterly ridiculous idea, but now you are defending that it could work?

i see consistency isnt one of your strong suites

No, this is what I agreed with:

"the whole thign is just absurd"

I agree with you that it is absurd, because I'd be one of the fans who would lose interest since I like our current team. However, that's not to say there wouldn't be others who would still be interested. Overall, it would probably gain as many fans as it would lose. Over the long term, it would probably do even better (unfortunately, at least IMO), since having an all star team (Russian or not) over a number of years would bring many chances at the Cup, if not many Cups. People would jump back on the bandwagon in no time.

if you thing that strategy would bring numerous attempts at a stanley cup, then....

i dont even know what to say to that

you never fail to astound me griffs

also, one thing the nhl could do is require foreign players coming to play in the nhl to enter the draft

that way someone couldnt just bring another country's national team over, as all the players would have to enter the draft and any team could draft them, thus dispersing the talent

He playd in the minors for one game.....so far....i hope he gets a shutout for the wings, that'll show Domink who's boss!

let's go blue jackets!

could that possibly be the worst team name in all of professional sports?

i think the wild has the worst team name. mofo convinced me of that.

:|

I guess I have the worst avatar in the history of Interference. :p

Pascal Dupius finally signed.

I think the fans have had it with Gaborik. If he doesn't sign soon, he might as well go someplace else. At this rate he might hear boos instead of cheers when he comes onto the ice. He was in town and that got people's hopes up, but now it appears he has lewft with no deal. I don't think it's going to happen.

Greed.

:yikes: i didn't notice...

in fact, i couldn't even figure out what it siad..

in short, don't ever listen to a word i say. it's usually crap. but i guess you knew that when you posted the :p

Back
Top Bottom