2003/2004 NHL Season - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2003, 12:20 AM   #556
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:07 AM
when did i ever claim the blues were elite?

ive always said the blues werent because of their postseason shortcomings.

but we all know toronto really is elite, being canadas team and all.

Old 12-10-2003, 12:25 AM   #557
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
Yes, and the Blues and the modern day Maple Leafs know all about making it to the Stanley Cup finals, don't they? At least the Canucks have been to the finals in the last 10 years. When was the last time the Maple Leafs made it to the finals? Oh, that's right - 1967. Don't worry. Living in the past is a Maple Leaf pastime, afterall.

Touche.
Well, at least the Maple Leafs know what it's like to be in the winning column of the Stanley Cup finals. More than 12 times at that. Recently? No. Much like Mr. Chizip here, I never once deemed my team "elite," I am simply proud of our players and team - that's the recent team, in case you were wondering.

Old 12-10-2003, 12:29 AM   #558
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:07 PM
The discussion wasn't about being elite until you posted. It was simply about the Canucks being one of the better teams the last couple seasons - specifically having the most wins since Christmas, 2001. Consistency was the main point of the discussion, not elitism. And my rebuttal against you was to do with your criticism of the Canucks' lack of playoff success... to which I say, maybe you should be more concerned about the Blues since Vancouver has had more recent playoff success than they have.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:34 AM   #559
Blue Crack Addict

you arent making sense again griffey

lay off whatever it is you are smoking there in vancouver
Old 12-10-2003, 12:39 AM   #560
Refugee

Local Time: 12:07 PM
from what i hear Vancouver has some good stuff to smoke.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:40 AM   #561
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Elite

Well, at least the Maple Leafs know what it's like to be in the winning column of the Stanley Cup finals. More than 12 times at that. Recently? No. Much like Mr. Chizip here, I never once deemed my team "elite," I am simply proud of our players and team - that's the recent team, in case you were wondering.
The Maple Leafs know what it's like to be in th winning column in the Cup finals, you say. They may as well be the Boston Bruins of the late 60s. The only similarity is the geographical region. The entire organization, from top to bottom, is a different one. So that point is kind of moot (like that Chiz ).

As for why you haven't termed your team "elite", didn't it occur to you that's probably because the Leafs simply haven't been elite? Teams don't generally fear playing the Toronto Maple Leafs (until your recent winning streak, that is). Conversely, teams are generally afraid when coming to GM Place. That's got to tell you something.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:41 AM   #562
Babyface

Quote:
The discussion wasn't about being elite until you posted.
Are you making fun of my name? I would appreciate it if you would keep the discussion to the game, not personal attacks, thanks.

Quote:
It was simply about the Canucks being one of the better teams the last couple seasons - specifically having the most wins since Christmas, 2001. Consistency was the main point of the discussion, not elitism. And my rebuttal against you was to do with your criticism of the Canucks' lack of playoff success... to which I say, maybe you should be more concerned about the Blues since Vancouver has had more recent playoff success than they have.
Now you're saying the Canucks are one of the better teams...ok, that is making more sense. Yes, I did criticise the Canucks for their lack of playoff success, but I never said "look at the sap Canucks next to the Blues and the Leafs!" Mr. Chizip noted "ive always said the blues werent because of their postseason shortcomings." but you missed that in your rebuttle.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:45 AM   #563
Blue Crack Addict

griff seems to miss a lot of things with his many rebuttals

i guess we could call him a rebutthead

get it, rebutthead?

yeah i dont get it either

Old 12-10-2003, 12:50 AM   #564
Babyface

Quote:
As for why you haven't termed your team "elite", didn't it occur to you that's probably because the Leafs simply haven't been elite? Teams don't generally fear playing the Toronto Maple Leafs (until your recent winning streak, that is). Conversely, teams are generally afraid when coming to GM Place. That's got to tell you something.

What the hell is your definition of elite? And how do you know what Mats is thinking when he walks in to GM Place?

Certainly if I was 6'4 and 200+ lbs I wouldn't be afraid of a builing.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:42 AM   #565
Rock n' Roll Doggie

On to much more interesting topics...

Did you guys see who was the Canucks backup goalie tonight? Because Dan Cloutier just went down with a groin injury without warning and they didn't have time to recall anyone from the farm team, they had to get a kid named Chris Levesque (coined "Eddie Leveque" from Cheers...way too funny) to back up Hedberg! This kid is a 23 year old Geography major at UBC, who plays for the UBC Thunderbirds. Hedberg got run in the 1st period, and was down for about two minutes. It looked as though Chris Levesque was going to have to replace him! The entire newsroom at Sportsnet was cheering for him, as was the crowd at GM Place. Unfortunately, Hedberg continued on. That would have been incredible. Either way, though, Levesque now has a full bag of stories to tell at beer league games! Can you imagine?! That's one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time.

As for the game, Naslund is simply AMAZING. Another FOUR goal game. (He also scored 4 goals last year against the Oilers.) I don't think I recall seeing him score a goal that didn't look good. He's just got that touch. Check the highlights tonight. He scored his 4th goal in OT, and didn't even raise his arms...just pointed and winked at Bertuzzi. Talk about Mr. Cool. He's leading the NHL in scoring, once again.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:56 AM   #566
Refugee

Local Time: 10:07 AM
you forgot the.........after bertuzzi....shame on you!
Old 12-10-2003, 02:21 AM   #567
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Brendan Morrison on Chris Levesque (after it looked like Hedberg was injured): "That would have been interesting....a star could have been born at GM Place....I don't know what was going through Chris's mind...his exam tomorrow morning or getting out on the ice [Laughs]." It was way too funny. All the Canucks were giving him a hard time. Apparently he has a final tomorrow morning. He was studying for it at the UBC library, when the UBC Thunderbird coach found him and told him the Canucks needed him to backup Hedberg for the game tonight. He thought it was a joke! Wow, talk about the opportunity of a life time! They signed him to a one day amateur contract. I would have done it for free! Best seat in the house...getting to hear Bertuzzi swear on the bench.... What more could you ask for? You should have seen it when Hedberg was down. Levesque was chewing his gum like a mad man! Mike Keane leaned over to him and said, "Don't worry, he [Hedberg] will be okay!" Marc Crawford couldn't quite contain himself, and started chuckling. It was classic.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:08 AM   #568
Blue Crack Addict

a backup goalie almost going into a game is the coolest thing youve seen in a long time?
Old 12-10-2003, 06:17 AM   #569
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:07 PM
sounds like a back-up back-up goalie actually
Old 12-10-2003, 01:49 PM   #570
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
a backup goalie almost going into a game is the coolest thing youve seen in a long time?
Uhm, no, a local student playing for his college hockey team going into a game is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. Sheesh. If you don't think that's a great story, I feel sorry for you.