2003/2004 NHL Season - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-08-2003, 09:46 AM   #526
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
kobayashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: the ether
Posts: 5,142
Local Time: 05:36 PM
it must suck to constantly be referred to as 'lowly'.

they're also just 4 points ahead of the lowly calgary flames who have 2 games in hand.
__________________

__________________
im the candyman. and the candyman is back.
kobayashi is offline  
Old 12-08-2003, 01:55 PM   #527
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Michael Griffiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
Posts: 3,925
Local Time: 09:36 PM
No one is denying the Flames haven't put on a great run the last 10 games. The last three seasons on the other hand.... now that's a different story.
__________________

__________________
Michael Griffiths is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 12:49 AM   #528
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Lilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: back and to the left
Posts: 8,523
Local Time: 03:36 PM
Lord knows there's no improving between seasons.
__________________
Lilly is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 12:52 AM   #529
Refugee
 
Justified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: living with MVD
Posts: 1,629
Local Time: 05:36 PM
Go Thrashers!
__________________
Justified is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 01:22 AM   #530
Refugee
 
Edgeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,323
Local Time: 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly
Lord knows there's no improving between seasons.
Don't you know..."elite" teams just pop up sometime just before the season starts...no building...no training....no drafting.....they just pop up overnight and start converting regular hockey fans into mindless drones, slaves even, who try (and I stress try) to convert the rest of the world into thinking that their "elite" team is the best ever "created"....in the history of hockey.


*Passes out from sarcasm overload*
__________________
Edgeman is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 02:08 AM   #531
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Michael Griffiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
Posts: 3,925
Local Time: 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly
Lord knows there's no improving between seasons.
Of course there's improving between seasons. My point is that 10 games of playing good hockey doesn't automatically make them Stanley Cup contenders. Sheesh, you guys are hilarious.
__________________
Michael Griffiths is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 02:10 AM   #532
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Michael Griffiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
Posts: 3,925
Local Time: 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Edgeman


Don't you know..."elite" teams just pop up sometime just before the season starts...no building...no training....no drafting.....they just pop up overnight and start converting regular hockey fans into mindless drones, slaves even, who try (and I stress try) to convert the rest of the world into thinking that their "elite" team is the best ever "created"....in the history of hockey.


*Passes out from sarcasm overload*
Sarcasm or not, your post still makes no sense. When did I ever say anything remotely close to that? Thanks for putting words in my mouth.
__________________
Michael Griffiths is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 02:23 AM   #533
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: gone
Posts: 17,891
Local Time: 04:36 PM
he's got ya there griffey
__________________
Chizip is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 03:39 AM   #534
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Michael Griffiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
Posts: 3,925
Local Time: 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
he's got ya there griffey
Uhm, no. Now you've opened up a big can of worms...

"'elite' teams just pop up sometime just before the season starts...no building...no training....no drafting.....they just pop up overnight..."

When did I EVER say anything remotely close to this bullshit? Find me where I said that, and then maybe we can give you some credibility. Take the Canucks. They have drafted extremely wisely (just look at Ohlund for example...heck, even look at Bure!)...and they've traded and built their team into a contender. It's taken about 5 seasons. The bulk of the process started under Mike Keenan, and the Bure trade (for Jovanovski, players, and a 1st round pick) was symbolic of that change in direction. However, the changes began even before that. For example, Trevor Linden (who, ironically, would come back through another trade) was traded for Todd Bertuzzi and Brian McCabe! Talk about a steal. Later, Burke spun some magic at the '99 NHL draft, trading McCabe and a couple picks for the 2nd and 3rd overall picks (hence the Sedins). He also got Brendan Morrison for Mogilny (and Morrison's now part of the best line in hockey, and Mogilny has never been the same since being exposed to the trap in NJ). Of course, the current edition of the Canucks goes even further back than all of this. Did you know that Pat Quinn got Markus Naslund by trading Alex Stojanev for him? Alex, freakin' Stojanev???!!! The guy isn't even in the NHL anymore, and never did anything when he was here. And he was traded for Markus ("the top scorer over the last 3 seasons") Naslund!! Anyway, as you can see, the Canucks are not an overnight success. I never said they were, and it's rather ridiculous for people to accuse me of not understanding the concept behind buiding a team. Have a good night, hope you enjoyed the history lesson.
__________________
Michael Griffiths is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 04:23 AM   #535
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: gone
Posts: 17,891
Local Time: 04:36 PM
just admit he really pegged you and be done with it
__________________
Chizip is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 09:14 AM   #536
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
kobayashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: the ether
Posts: 5,142
Local Time: 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
Alex, freakin' Stojanev???!!!
he was actually in a car accident that ended his career if i remember correctly.
__________________
im the candyman. and the candyman is back.
kobayashi is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 01:37 PM   #537
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Michael Griffiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
Posts: 3,925
Local Time: 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi


he was actually in a car accident that ended his career if i remember correctly.
That doesn't change the fact he only scored 7 points in 107 games in the NHL. Here's an excerpt from Sports Illustrated that sort of drives the point home:

"...Naslund, meanwhile, was developing slowly in Pittsburgh, and in '96 he was part of perhaps the dumbest deal in NHL history. The Penguins traded him to the Canucks for Alex Stojanov, who went on to score two goals in 107 games before retiring."

I rest my case. It was an amazing trade for Vancouver - just another key component they added to the team they have assembled in about 5 seasons.
__________________
Michael Griffiths is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 01:40 PM   #538
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Michael Griffiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
Posts: 3,925
Local Time: 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
just admit he really pegged you and be done with it
You don't have a leg to stand on, Chiz. Just admit you're totally off base and be done with it.
__________________
Michael Griffiths is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 01:42 PM   #539
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
kobayashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: the ether
Posts: 5,142
Local Time: 05:36 PM
im not disputing the trade. just pointing out some history.

doesnt come close to russ courtnall to the habs for john kordic going to the leafs. kordic would die of a cocaine overdose a matter of months later. if i remember correctly.
__________________
im the candyman. and the candyman is back.
kobayashi is offline  
Old 12-09-2003, 01:47 PM   #540
Refugee
 
Edgeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,323
Local Time: 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths

Uhm, no. Now you've opened up a big can of worms...

"'elite' teams just pop up sometime just before the season starts...no building...no training....no drafting.....they just pop up overnight..."

When did I EVER say anything remotely close to this bullshit? Find me where I said that, and then maybe we can give you some credibility. Take the Canucks. They have drafted extremely wisely (just look at Ohlund for example...heck, even look at Bure!)...and they've traded and built their team into a contender. It's taken about 5 seasons. The bulk of the process started under Mike Keenan, and the Bure trade (for Jovanovski, players, and a 1st round pick) was symbolic of that change in direction. However, the changes began even before that. For example, Trevor Linden (who, ironically, would come back through another trade) was traded for Todd Bertuzzi and Brian McCabe! Talk about a steal. Later, Burke spun some magic at the '99 NHL draft, trading McCabe and a couple picks for the 2nd and 3rd overall picks (hence the Sedins). He also got Brendan Morrison for Mogilny (and Morrison's now part of the best line in hockey, and Mogilny has never been the same since being exposed to the trap in NJ). Of course, the current edition of the Canucks goes even further back than all of this. Did you know that Pat Quinn got Markus Naslund by trading Alex Stojanev for him? Alex, freakin' Stojanev???!!! The guy isn't even in the NHL anymore, and never did anything when he was here. And he was traded for Markus ("the top scorer over the last 3 seasons") Naslund!! Anyway, as you can see, the Canucks are not an overnight success. I never said they were, and it's rather ridiculous for people to accuse me of not understanding the concept behind buiding a team. Have a good night, hope you enjoyed the history lesson.
Okay buddy...calm down! A little ribbing at your expence (valid points or not) is just plain fun because you fly off the handle like this...just cool your jets kid. I didn't say that you said anything like that, just making some (i guess not so) harmless fun at your Canuck loving expense.
__________________

__________________
Edgeman is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com