2003/2004 NHL Season - Page 35 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2003, 09:46 PM   #511
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:15 AM
credit where credit is due...to canadas best team.

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
This is why they haven't lost one game by more than 1 goal all season long - until tonight.
leafs 5 @ canucks 3

Old 12-06-2003, 01:27 AM   #512
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:15 AM
Re: credit where credit is due...to canadas best team.

Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi

leafs 5 @ canucks 3
That's a bit of a technicality there, kobayashi. The 5th goal was an empty netter. But since it's the Leafs, we'll give it to them!

Old 12-06-2003, 12:22 PM   #513
Refugee

Local Time: 01:15 AM
Re: Re: credit where credit is due...to canadas best team.

Quote:

That's a bit of a technicality there, kobayashi. The 5th goal was an empty netter.
You're worse than a government sub committee trying to explain the benefits of driving with your eyes closed.

By the way how is your phd in spin coming?
Old 12-06-2003, 12:37 PM   #514
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Empty net goals are nothing to be proud over (unless the team in question finds it difficult to score with a goalie in net)... and they're not so much a part of the grind of game competition as simply formalities used to seal the deal. Nothing more, nothing less. Spin that and wash it.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:02 PM   #515
Refugee

Quote:
Empty net goals are nothing to be proud over (unless the team in question finds it difficult to score with a goalie in net)...
They obviously don't have that much trouble if their team is winning.

Argue all you want about the merit or insignificance of empty net goals... the bottom line is the team employing a 6th attacker is down a goal; they're losing. The goal just solidifies that.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:20 PM   #516
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:15 AM
of course if a canuck scored an empty netter we'd have a link to a video of it with the thread titled "The Greatest Empty Net Goal Ever Scored!" and then have Griffey compare the empty net goal to the encore of a rock concert saying its the perfect ending to a perfcect performance.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:19 AM   #517
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Of course!

Gretz used to score the best empty net goals. I think he holds the record for the most empty net goals in a season (maybe even career)... which makes sense of course since he also holds the record for most goals, season and career. I still remember game 7 vs. the Oilers in 1989 - the year after he got traded. He blew right past Jari Kurri, who was trying to chase him and the puck, and went in with Jari practically trying to hold on to him for dear life, and scored on the empty net, giving the Kings the series win. It must have been the biggest empty net goal scored in the history of all civilization... at least, going by his reaction and the mob scene.... Hockey Night in Canada used it in their montage intro from then on. It was great.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:50 PM   #518
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
of course if a canuck scored an empty netter we'd have a link to a video of it with the thread titled "The Greatest Empty Net Goal Ever Scored!" and then have Griffey compare the empty net goal to the encore of a rock concert saying its the perfect ending to a perfcect performance.
Here Here!
Old 12-07-2003, 01:56 PM   #519
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinball Wizard

They obviously don't have that much trouble if their team is winning.

Argue all you want about the merit or insignificance of empty net goals... the bottom line is the team employing a 6th attacker is down a goal; they're losing. The goal just solidifies that.
I forgot to reply to this post... I didn't argue empty net goals were insignificant, and nor did I say they didn't solidify the win. In fact I said the opposite - I said they "sealed the deal"...in other words, I said exactly as you did, using different words. Further, I simply said the empty net goal, itself, is nothing to be proud over. By that I mean, it's not that difficult to score one since there is no goalie in the net, and to use a goal such as this in determining how badly a team got beat is a bit of a stretch. Some would argue that its difficulty is evened out because the team trying to tie the game has 6 attackers instead of 5, but such an argument is fallacious. Why you ask? Put it this way, if you look at the stats, situation for situation, between the number of goals scored with an extra attacker vs. the number of empty net goals scored, you'll see more empty net goals are scored by a landslide. Clearly proof that it isn't evened out at all, and that empty net goals are much easier to score than goals with an extra attacker.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:42 PM   #520
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:15 AM
this is the best hockey decision ever.

the fact that the empty net goal is 'nothing to be proud over' doesnt change the fact that the canucks had previously been beaten by two or more.

maybe instead of focusing on the ease with which empty net goals are scored, griffiths-canuck enterprises should focus on the underlying causes for the empty neat.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:01 PM   #521
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I agree Kobayashi, but that's a separate issue - an issue I've already addressed by asking why the Canucks aren't showing up for these recent games against sub par teams. There's something wrong with the Canucks' collective effort/play recently, and that's all I was getting at. I was simply contradicting Cujo's claim that the Canucks simply "got beat". They got beat, yes, but it was through a lack of collective effort. Sorry, but I've been watching this team long enough to know the difference.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:05 PM   #522
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: this is the best hockey decision ever.

Oh, I forgot to add...

Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi
the fact that the empty net goal is 'nothing to be proud over' doesnt change the fact that the canucks had previously been beaten by two or more.
Correct, it doesn't change the fact that the Canucks haven't had previously bean beaten by two or more, technically speaking. I had forgotten about that empty net goal because it's really a moot point, since it's not indicative of most regulation time play (unless pulling the goalie throughout the entire game suddenly becomes the norm). But like I said, techinically you're in the right.... however moot it is.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:10 PM   #523
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:15 AM
moooooooooot

not mute

moot
Old 12-07-2003, 06:14 PM   #524
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I was referring to the "dumb" the leafs are!
Old 12-08-2003, 02:06 AM   #525
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Man, I haven't been able to type/spell all day. The above should read: "I was referring to how "dumb" the leafs are!" A perfectly great comeback ruined by a missed word. Griff, you disappoint me.

Back to the Canucks, it's funny how many in Vancouver are jumping off the bandwagon. I found this on the Canucks' message board:

They're still leading the Western Conference and are tied for 3rd overall in the NHL, yet people are already jumping ship. Typical.