2003/2004 NHL Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blatant homerism at its best folks

he even provided the video to prove himself wrong

there was no extension until well after the play, when he was falling to the ice. or should the elbow be next to the body when you are falling too...

Last edited:
"Extension" doesn't have to be sticking out your elbow ten feet or even a couple inches. It simply has to be pointing in the direction of its target, which it clearly was.... whether it was sticking out 1 inch, 4 inches, or 9 inches.

I agree with Burke's sentiment: it's irrelevant whether Moore used his elbow or not.

"Whether there's an elbow or not, you have a player that is going down and this player (Moore) dropped his shoulder down and went right at his head.''

Dirty.

If you want to see an example of a clean shoulder hit, take a look at Bertuzzi's hit on Jackman.

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:

Even the Colorado media admitted there was elbow contact to Naslund's head. It is clear on the replay. I guess you can see things however your home team goggles will allow ( :wink: ), but even the commentators and sports shows said there was elbow contact.
Here's a video of the hit in slow motion, which clearly shows the elbow to Naslund's head. If you can't see it in this video, then I *know* your goggles need cleaning! I challenge anyone to watch this video and then say there was no elbow (pay particular attention to the last replay of it, at the very end of the video):

It's a dirty hit, but it's a legal one.

First rule of hockey--skate with your head up, or you're going to get slammed. It's not anyone's responsibility to look out for him because he's in a "vulnerable position" as you assert in another post. You skate with your head down, you'll smack into someone. It's the most basic rule of skating imaginable.

Naslund got slammed. It's obvious Moore hit him with the shoulder, but the combined impact slid Naslund down to his elbow. He doesn't extend his arm at all, I'm afraid. :shrug:

And I'm watching it objectively as possible. :wink:

And as for the Colorado media--I can assert with authority that you won't find 2 local reporters who can write a matching account of an Avs game. Peter MacNab and John Kelly both asserted it was a legal hit during the game--Mark Kizla, who is the Colorado Rockies beat reporter and one of the crappier Avs writers in town, in my opinion...he simply sniffs out something catchy...and that's all that article is. A bunch of Crawford quotes strung together out of any substance, killing time until spring training. :shrug:

(Terry Frei is the only sports columnist here who can write about hockey, he's the only one I'll listen to... and even he has the tendency to go for what the dumber Avs fans *want* to hear rather than what they should.)

Michael Griffiths said:
"It just mystifies me why this happens in this league. They talk about players not having respect for players. How about the officials? Should they not have respect for the leading scorer in the league? When does that come? When does that come?" Crawford demanded, as the intensity in his voice and his anger burned hotter with every carefully chosen word.

I find all this a bit rich coming from Crawford, who took a swing at Forsberg last night. When DOES respect come, coach, hmmm?

Last edited:
AvsGirl41 said:

It's a dirty hit, but it's a legal one.

First rule of hockey--skate with your head up, or you're going to get slammed. It's not anyone's responsibility to look out for him because he's in a "vulnerable position" as you assert in another post. You skate with your head down, you'll smack into someone. It's the most basic rule of skating imaginable.

Naslund got slammed. It's obvious Moore hit him with the shoulder, but the combined impact slid Naslund down to his elbow. He doesn't extend his arm at all, I'm afraid. :shrug:

And I'm watching it objectively as possible. :wink:

And as for the Colorado media--I can assert with authority that you won't find 2 local reporters who can write a matching account of an Avs game. Peter MacNab and John Kelly both asserted it was a legal hit during the game--Mark Kizla, who is the Colorado Rockies beat reporter and one of the crappier Avs writers in town, in my opinion...he simply sniffs out something catchy...and that's all that article is. A bunch of Crawford quotes strung together out of any substance, killing time until spring training. :shrug:

(Terry Frei is the only sports columnist here who can write about hockey, he's the only one I'll listen to... and even he has the tendency to go for what the dumber Avs fans *want* to hear rather than what they should.)
I agree that Naslund should have had his head up, but that doesn't have any bearing on whether it was a clean hit or not. For sake of argument, by the same token we could say it is perfectly okay to swing your stick at someone's head, simply because they weren't watching for it. They should have had their head up. If a hit is not legal, it's irrelevent if the recipient has their head up or not.

The fact of the matter is, we disagree on this latter point - namely, whether it was legal or illegal. You say there was no elbow. I say there clearly was. However, even if we left this point aside, how can you account for Naslund not having the puck, before or during his hit? How can you account for the puck being well out of play at the time of initiation of follow through, well before contact? These aren't the ingredients of a clean hit.

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:

I agree that Naslund should have had his head up, but that doesn't have any bearing on whether it was a clean hit or not. For sake of argument, by the same token we could say it is perfectly okay to swing your stick at someone's head, simply because they weren't watching for it. They should have had their head up. If a hit is not legal, it's irrelevent if the recipient has their head up or not.

The fact of the matter is, we disagree on this latter point - namely, whether it was legal or illegal. You say there was no elbow. I say there clearly was. However, even if we left this point aside, how can you account for Naslund not having the puck, before or during his hit? How can you account for the puck being well out of play at the time of initiation of follow through, well before contact? These aren't the ingredients of a clean hit.

No, that's not the same argument at all. It's illegal for your stick to leave the ice. Whether or not someone is looking doesn't justify a player hitting someone with it. That's like saying that you can pick up the puck and throw it at someone.

It's understood, however, that if you don't have your head up, somewhere you will get drilled with a body check. It's Hockey 101.

I believe I said it wasn't a clean hit, but it was legal. This is hockey and we all know dirty and illegal aren't always the same thing. Players get hit in open ice all the time who don't have the puck and it's not called. Checks along the boards occur whether the puck is there or not. If we wanted to use the token arguments like the stick one above, there should be no hitting, anywhere in hockey because the majority of the time, neither player involved has the puck...but I still say it was a legal shoulder hit and not an elbow. Just because you bounce off someone's elbow doesn't mean they deliberately hit you with it.

The bottom line is, maybe it should have been called because of the puck factor. You know I agree that the ref system sucks and the players would be better off policing themselves. But the tone was set early in the game. No matter what the refs decide on a given night, the Canucks play rough and teams respond in kind. If Crawford or any of the players have a problem with that, then they need to change their style of play. Reverse the situation--I'm willing to bet good money that Naslund wouldn't have *hesitated* to drill Moore and call it a legal check.

And then butter wouldn't melt in Crawford's mouth! :angel:

AvsGirl41 said:

No, that's not the same argument at all. It's illegal for your stick to leave the ice. Whether or not someone is looking doesn't justify a player hitting someone with it. That's like saying that you can pick up the puck and throw it at someone.

It's understood, however, that if you don't have your head up, somewhere you will get drilled with a body check. It's Hockey 101.

I believe I said it wasn't a clean hit, but it was legal. This is hockey and we all know dirty and illegal aren't always the same thing. Players get hit in open ice all the time who don't have the puck and it's not called. Checks along the boards occur whether the puck is there or not. If we wanted to use the token arguments like the stick one above, there should be no hitting, anywhere in hockey because the majority of the time, neither player involved has the puck...but I still say it was a legal shoulder hit and not an elbow. Just because you bounce off someone's elbow doesn't mean they deliberately hit you with it.

The bottom line is, maybe it should have been called because of the puck factor. You know I agree that the ref system sucks and the players would be better off policing themselves. But the tone was set early in the game. No matter what the refs decide on a given night, the Canucks play rough and teams respond in kind. If Crawford or any of the players have a problem with that, then they need to change their style of play. Reverse the situation--I'm willing to bet good money that Naslund wouldn't have *hesitated* to drill Moore and call it a legal check.

And then butter wouldn't melt in Crawford's mouth! :angel:
Ah, but it is the same argument. You didn't catch my point. I was simply using an extreme example to drive my point home (apparently it backfired). My point is that it doesn't matter if a player has his head up or not if the hit is illegal anyway. An illegal hit is an illegal hit, regardless how blind or incompetent the recipient is. I know all about hockey 101 and keeping your head up to avoid a hit....but that was not my point at all.

Re: hits away from the puck: Players rarely get hit in open ice when the puck is nowhere near them without a penalty being called. Scott Stevens' hit on Kariya last playoffs is a perfect example of a clean open ice hit: Kariya had the puck. Naslund, however, didn't even touch the puck.... so it should have at least been an interference or obstruction penalty, even if there wasn't any elbow involved as you say.

I agree that players along the boards get hit sometimes without the puck with no penalty call, but rarely is this the case if they didn't have control (at the time or just before) or were about to have control of the puck prior to the hit. Again, Naslund's hit didn't meet either of these criteria.

Your argument that the Canucks should not play a rough brand of hockey if they don't want to be protected by the NHL rulebook doesn't hold water. The game is supposed to be played rough - as long as it's done legally. To suggest that players can only be protected by the rule book should they not engage in physical (legal) play, is grasping at straws, IMO.

As for reversing the situation, judging by his history, Naslund would never have hit anyone in that manner, end of story. He never has and he never will. He's not a hitter at the best of times, forget about the worst. But here's a reversal for you: What if Wade Brookbank had gone after Joe Sakic or Peter Forsberg's head away from the puck at centre ice? Would it have been perfectly fine by the Colorado faithful? I suspect not.

Last edited:
if the puck is in the vicinty of the player it wont be called

and it was in the vicinity of naslund

stop whining, you are beginning to remind me of cry baby crawford

Chizip said:
if the puck is in the vicinty of the player it wont be called

and it was in the vicinity of naslund

stop whining, you are beginning to remind me of cry baby crawford
Vicinity? It was practically half way across the zone by the time the hit was made. Normally there is a 3 second rule when determining if a hit is late. In this case, however, Naslund didn't even have a chance to touch the puck, so it should have been a penalty.

Oh, to get back to the elbow...just for laughs, I present you with Exhibit A:

eb.JPG

Exhibit B: (notice that Naslund was already down on his knee well before contact? Hence, the "sliding down" excuse is nullified):

nazzy_smoked240.jpg

Last edited:
OMG you guys....give it a rest...it's just going in circles here..nothing is happening with this debate.

Stop the madness!!!

We went through the same thing when Walz got hit by Tkachuk. It looked really bad and Walz was out for quite a few games. Many of our fans were really pissed about it and couldn't wait for the Blues to get to town. The replay was painful to watch. Tkachuk came off the bench and flew right into him. Walz didn't see him coming because he had just taken a shot.

Walz was always cool about it. He said it was a clean hit. :shrug:

Gabby had a hat trick last night. :up:

lemonpie and i would like to say:

SCORRRRRRRRRRREEEEE!

and we would also like to say:

SCORE AGAAAAAAAINNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

:D

whooops...almost forgot to sayyyyy

SCORE!!!!!!

so that's:
m. chouinard
laaksonen
m. chouinard
brunette
henry (1st ever nhl goal)
gaborik

Michael Griffiths said:

Lemon M. - You will be playing a team that is absolutely horrible right now. The Canucks have lost 5 of their last 6 games - and just lost 3 in a row to very average teams. They're handing away the division title to Colorado...again. Minny will likely beat the Canucks. It should be an entertaining game for you in this respect.

i was watching the bruins flyers game and they kept changing the thing to show how the wild were creaming the canucks.

when philly get burke? is esche going to be un-injred?

Brian Burke (Vancouver's GM)...or should I say, John McCaw (Vancouver's billionaire owner) are so damn complacent (or should I say cheap).... Here's Ottawa going out and stepping up to the plate by acquiring Peter Bondra, and Philly getting Zhamnov... and here's Brian Burke and Co. sitting on their collective butt. It's sad. It's true. It's so predictable. Vancouver needs to step up to the plate if they want any hope of causing some damage in the playoffs. Apparently their ownership group doesn't care about such things. What a pity.

With Arvedson gone for the season, including playoffs, they have to get someone. He was the missing ingredient, and that ingredient needs to be replaced. Their defence is depleted, too. So much has changed for them this year. It's so sad.

Once Naslund and Jovanovski come back, they'll be decent, but not quite good enough. They need someone like Jeff O'Neil....or....someone, ANYONE!!!

What a pity.

Last edited:
IWasBored said:
oh and while i'm at it, why do i get detriot and philly mixed up?

i do it sometimes too. i always have to look at the emblem and concentrate on what it is.

even when i'm wearing a flyers jersey. even while my friend wears his detroit jersey. yeah...i don't know.

hey griffiths...clearly the nucks weren't at full force tonight. it was a fun game to listen to though lol. hope naslund gets to come back soon for ya :)

Yes, yes! It was an exciting game. Sitting in row 6 was a real treat. We will have those seats for our final game of the season versus the Dallas Southstars. That will probably be it for us this year as far as getting tickets goes.

It was great to see Henry get his first ever NHL goal. It happened on our end, so we had a great view. He was one happy camper. I thouhgt he had a goal back when we played the Oilers last week, but I guess Zholtok tipped it in. It was hard to tell. After the goal Walz zoomed over and scooped up the puck so Henry could keep it. Walz is a class act.

There was much frustration on the Canucks part, especially after goal 5. Things started to get a bit ugly. I like a fight now and then (yes I do), but some of what was going on was uncalled for. (And I am not saying the Wild were innocent.)

I echo Lilly's comment...hopefully Naslund will recover quickly and be back in full force. I never like to see a player get injured...even if they are from an archrival team.

There are probably no play-off hopes for the Wild this year, but it is so much fun when they play well. Three of our last five games since the break have been awsome. Even though we tied against the Devils it was a great game to watch.

It is great to see Gabby getting some goals. He's had so many shots up to this point, but they just weren't getting into the net. Many he has turned things around. He knows how to make things happen out there. He and Laaksonen have the speed and get a lot of breakaways it's nice to see it when they can capitalize on it once in a while.

Okay...I'll quit now. :)

I had friends in a bar tell me "hey, did you here that the Wild KILLED Vancouver tonight?"

The Illinites are learning. I will mold them into hockey fans soon.

Anyone see the highlights from the Rangers/Islanders game? Where is headache?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom