2003/2004 NHL Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't believe in a hockey mad country there could be games that don't sell out - especially in a place like Calgary where hockey must be huge at every level and the economy is one of the best in the country. That surprises me. Every game this year in Vancouver is already sold out. We had 16,000 season tickets sold. You have to buy through scalpers in order to get to games. Kind of sucks in a way, but I shouldn't complain.

I think our base is between 10 and 12 thousand... probably up to 14 with ticket packages.

You're right though... this town has the potential to sell out every game, due to the high influx of capital, and heavy influence of the predominant petroleum companies. But it seems that thrift is the only virtue that hockey fans exhibit in this town...

Shameful really. Although, I do detest going to games and sitting beside indifferent ignoramuses who couldn't care less of the goings-on... much rather pay attention to voice mail than the on ice action.

I guess it's a compromise you have to make as a fan in order for the game to persist.

damn canadians cant support their teams, no wonder all their teams are moving to the good old old US of A, the true hockey country. :wink:

It's official: the Canucks are in a slump. They're sucking right now. At least it's now and not April. The only players who are doing anything note worthy are Naslund, Morrison, and Linden. The rest have forgotten about something called intensity. I hate it when they do this. :( :sad: :angry: :banghead:

maybe they are just showing their true colors and were just on a hot streak early on? very calgaryish.

detroit needs to go into slump now, those sobs

Well, maybe, but then they've been on a hot streak for 2 years if that's the case.

As for Detroit, what did I tell you after the Canucks beat them 5-1? I said they're too experienced and talented to not turn things around. Looks like the Wings are back, which is a shame if you're a Canucks or a Blues fan... though the Canucks usually beat them anyway, so on second thought, it's not really a shame for a Canucks fan.

Todd Bertuzzi provides the best quote in this article:

"They should take the tapes of our last two games and send them to the US Government," groaned Todd Bertuzzi after setting up the overtime winner for the second game in a row. "They could make Saddam Hussein watch them as torture. He'd give up any information after watching 5 hours of that garbage."

Lipstick on a pig

By Dan Murphy

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/columnist.jsp?content=20031217_125039_3588

Don't let the smoke-screen fool you, the Canucks aren't playing nearly as well as they should be.

Wasn't that a beautiful goal Markus Naslund scored in overtime to beat the Hurricanes? And wasn't it great to see Brendan Morrison get the winner in the extra frame versus the Predators two nights later?

Yes, and yes. But those goals were just lipstick on pigs.

I don't know if I've sat through two slower, more boring games in my life. Two points or not, the players agree.

"I'm not having fun out there right now. It feels like I've got a back pack on every shift," said a frowning Markus Naslund as he walked on the plane following the game in Nashville. Naslund then grinned when I pointed out that his stick made several "slashing" movements at players on the opposing team that night.

"They should take the tapes of our last two games and send them to the US Government," groaned Todd Bertuzzi after setting up the overtime winner for the second game in a row. "They could make Saddam Hussein watch them as torture. He'd give up any information after watching 5 hours of that garbage."

Rarely, if ever, will you here more discouraged players following two wins. The Canucks feel -- and rightly so -- that obstruction in the NHL is back in full force.

Riddle me this.

How does a team like Carolina, offensive juggernaut that they are, finish a game versus Vancouver with a 3-1 advantage in powerplays? Ridiculous! The Hurricanes had averaged 1-goal or less in 15 of their 29 games heading into Vancouver. The Canucks were ranked 3rd in goals for prior to that game. Which team is doing the hooking and holding? You figure it out. Oh yeah, two nights later? Nashville out PP'd the Canucks 4-2.

Now I'm not blaming the other teams for playing this way. If the refs are going to swallow the whistle, the Hurricanes, Predators and Wilds of the world should. No way these clubs could trade chances with the Canucks and win. But bottle things up, hope the refs let things go, and they've got a great chance to get at least one point. And let's face it, Nashville probably should have beat Vancouver playing that way on Tuesday. They finished with more quality scoring chances.

As far as the Canucks go, they're going to have to realize that this is the way that teams are going to play them. Vancouver's players will have to learn to fight through the picks and holds, because you know that's the way things are going to be like in the playoffs. Another way the Canucks can help their own cause? Stop giving up the first goal! Score first and force teams to open things up a bit. Getting the powerplay in gear wouldn't hurt either. Make teams pay for taking the odd penalty. If a player is in the box for a goal against perhaps he won't be so quick to take that next obstruction penalty. And finally -- I know I'm beating a dead horse here -- get more balanced scoring!

Did you know that Markus Naslund and Trevor Linden were the only Canuck forwards to score on their recent 5-game home stand? Naslund and Linden accounted for eight of the nine goals scored. And it's not just the forwards.

Brent Sopel has zero goals in 22 games. Marek Malik zero for his last 26. Brad May hasn't scored in 27. Artem Chubarov none in 18. Henrik Sedin has zero in 26. Magnus Arvedson has one in 25. Jarkko Ruutu is oh-for his last-25. That's just not good enough. Plain and simple.

If the Canucks are going to be a threat in the playoffs, other teams need to fear the powerplay and more than just one line.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

Following Vancouver's overtime victory in Nashville in which Todd Bertuzzi once again set up the winning goal, I complimented Todd on his attributes as a set up man. His reply?

"Don't even get me started, I f#!*ing hate passing!"

Dan Murphy is the only TV reporter to cover each and every Canucks game, home and road. Watch for his reports on Sportsnetnews.

does anyone else NOT read everything Griffdawg posts?

Michael Griffiths said:
Todd Bertuzzi provides the best quote in this article:

"They should take Michael Griffiths never ending posts about the Canucks and send them to the US Government," groaned Todd Bertuzzi. "They could make Saddam Hussein watch them as torture. He'd give up any information after reading that garbage."

:wink::up:

They only want you to think that they think that you think that they think that you think that they're in a slump.

Michael Griffiths said:
I can't believe in a hockey mad country there could be games that don't sell out - especially in a place like Calgary where hockey must be huge at every level and the economy is one of the best in the country. That surprises me. Every game this year in Vancouver is already sold out. We had 16,000 season tickets sold. You have to buy through scalpers in order to get to games. Kind of sucks in a way, but I shouldn't complain.

ottawa has problems selling out too.
if its not the leafs, habs or wings you can probably get tickets at game time.
its consistently at 16 000 or so, i think.

i dont know what they will do when the team isnt elite.

one of their principle problems is the abundance of civil servants in the city and the caution with which the upper management need to use when accepting gifts following the george radwanski affair. for a long time, tickets flowed freely from lobbyists. with martin cracking down on such issues, no one will accept the tickets so lobbyists are beginning to wonder why they buy them. it has the potential to have a very chilling effect on attendance.

This was just the sixth time this season the Blues (20-6-2-1) have won by at least two goals.

"We hear the things people say, that we're not scoring enough goals," Mellanby said. "Bottom line is we're one of the elite teams in the league."

:yikes:

Someone scan for bugs in here.....damn NHL players listening in. Next thing you know Burtuzzi will be gloating about all the team stats the Canucks are racking up these days.....his source? You guessed it.....Frank Stalone! I mean Griff. (bless you Norm McDonald...bless you!)

i dont care if its not real hockey, after the 5 min ot there should be a shootout. it would makes fans go from thinking, damn, its gonna be a tie game, this sucks, to sweet, i may get to see a shoot out. then we wouldnt have to deal with ties and otl points and all that crap. there shouldnt be 4 categories for a record, that is sad. casual fans dont know what 10-5-3-2 means.

it took me a while to figure out what that one on the end meant...the OT loss stat.

let me qualify that statement, i was wrong before.
close to a quarter of all nhl games reach overtime.

i dont think the shootout is the way to go. 3 points for a victory and 1 for a tie and none for an ot loss is the way to go.

kobayashi said:
let me qualify that statement, i was wrong before.
close to a quarter of all nhl games reach overtime.

i dont think the shootout is the way to go. 3 points for a victory and 1 for a tie and none for an ot loss is the way to go.
That's quite clever, but super conservative teams (not mentioning any names, of course) would still go for the single point in OT rather than opening it up for the extra 2 and risking the loss (and getting no points). Since there are many, many super conservative teams in the league today, I could see playing for the tie in OT becoming normal practice once again, even under your proposed point system.

I say just let the goalies decide overtime, one on one. Obviously they had something to do with the fact it's a tie, in a positive or negative way.

:wink:

For the record I really hate that wink.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm off the Tony Granato fan wagon. :angry:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the Rocky Mountain News:

Tony Granato wasn't in a holiday mood Monday when the Colorado Avalanche practiced for the final time before embarking on a three-day break for Christmas.

Unhappy with his team's five-game winless streak (0-2-3) and displeased with the performances he has been getting from some players, the Avalanche coach kept seven of them on the ice for additional drills.

Granato later said he wasn't punishing anyone.

"We have a few days off, so (we had) a little skate," he said.

But Granato clearly wasn't happy with defenseman Martin Skoula and forward Jim Cummins, who were among the seven skaters (not counting injured Paul Kariya) who were kept on the ice after the team had completed several laps at the end of regular practice.

Skoula was benched Saturday for most of the Avalanche's 3-3 tie against Los Angeles. His giveaway in the opening minute of the game led to a goal by the Kings' Eric Belanger, and Skoula played only 3 minutes, 24 seconds overall.

Cummins set a franchise record Saturday by amassing 47 minutes in penalties, even though his total ice time was only 1 minute, 4 seconds. His attempt at fighting Kip Brennan late in the second period resulted in a 7-minute Kings power play on which Martin Straka scored to give the Kings a 3-2 lead.

Cummins, reacting to a hit by Brennan on Avalanche defenseman John-Michael Liles, was assessed a minor penalty for instigating, a major penalty for fighting and a double game misconduct. Cummins and Brennan fought twice earlier in the game, but this time, Brennan moved away.

"Certainly when you take a 7-minute penalty, that's unacceptable, especially at a key point in the game," Granato said. "He knows that, you know that and I know that. And that's it."

Skoula, whose inconsistent play has baffled coaches and infuriated fans for five years, logged 42 seconds of ice time in the first period against the Kings, 2:42 in the second and none in the third.

"He didn't have a strong start to the game," Granato said. "That's why he watched most of it. We certainly would like to see more consistency out of him. When it's not there and he's got to sit and watch for the majority of the game, hopefully, the next game he responds the right way.

"You're going to have highs, you're going to have lows, you're going to have things you don't like done to you. It's what you're made of, how you respond, what you do with it."

Liles, Jordan Krestanovich, Chris McAllister, Cody McCormick and Peter Worrell also spent extra time shooting pucks at goalie Phil Sauve, then did some more skating before leaving the ice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was a supporter of Granato, but now he's proving as lazy and inconsistent as Hartley. I realize I'm an underdog supporter of Skoula, but I'm sick of Colorado's coaching staff constantly taking the easy way out when it comes to a winless streak and blaming one defenseman. I guess you can't blame Aebischer anymore, so let's drag out the old scapegoats.

A game is not won or loss by ONE defensive mistake. The whole team is performing poorly, especially in the offensive department--but do you work on that? I know that sometimes the pucks just won't go in the net, but I would expect Konowalchuk, Selanne, Hinote, Hejduk and every other forward who has been largely invisible lately to be getting some extra ice time too.

I haven't been watching the Avs as faithfully lately, so I could be way off base with some of my offensive criticism. But I am really unimpressed when a coach's response to a five game winless streak is to bench Skoula, bag skate some recalls from Hershey and try to impress us all with his "smackdown." (But he's not punishing anyone!) And when his tough talk is the same rhetoric that the hungover Denver sports fans call into 950 The Fan with, I feel like sending him some golf balls for the postseason.

so i partied it up with chris pronger, bryce salvador, and jamal mayers of the st lousi blues tonight

pronger called my fried a douche bag

good times

Back
Top Bottom