2003/2004 NHL Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess that's why the Oilers are so bad lately...not only do the players help out at charities...but their wives do also!

We should stop that right now and focus on hockey!

Saturday night several Wild players had a post game charity gig for local food shelves. I think it is pretty common for all teams this time of year.

Speaking of the Wild....what a great game last night against the Coyotes. We were ahead 3-2 and then had 2 open net goals to put the nail in the coffin. The Dowd/Brunette/Johnson line kicked some serious ass!

Colorado tomorrow night. :ohmy:

Lemon Meringue said:
Saturday night several Wild players had a post game charity gig for local food shelves. I think it is pretty common for all teams this time of year.

Speaking of the Wild....what a great game last night against the Coyotes. We were ahead 3-2 and then had 2 open net goals to put the nail in the coffin. The Dowd/Brunette/Johnson line kicked some serious ass!

Colorado tomorrow night. :ohmy:

Yes, you are correct LPieski.

Gaborik needs to get off his duff and start scoring goals.
I'm gonna have a pep talk with him this Friday when I get his autograph at our local Cub foods outlet.
"Shoot the damn puck, would ya?"
I swear, Gaborik has the meanest wrist shot in the NHL but I think he's like double covered all the time.

Last edited:
It's happened. Mike Comrie has been traded. The Flyers will be even better now. Talk about elite. A run for the Cup seems to be the modus operandi of the day for Bobby Clarke and co. At first look, it seems to be a really bad deal for the Oilers, but I'm sure Lowe knows what he's doing. He gets a young, promising defenseman (Jeff Woywitka) and a couple of picks, a 1st rounder in '04 and a 3rd rounder in '05. I can't quite get my head around this deal... but whatever has happened, Philly has definitely become the best team in the East. Good thing they have psychological issues with Ottawa, which might be the one thing that will prevent them from going anywhere, again.

Full story:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=64563

zoney! said:
so, what Griffdawg is saying is that all the Canucks are ABOVE making appearances at Canuck's sponsors? The people who pay their salaries?

Meh. Maybe they are toooo elite for something like that.
No, no! I was only joking. The Canucks are also very much involved in many levels of the community. Community involvment is a huge requirement to play for Vancouver. They were just at BC Children's Hospital for one of their routine visits, and they're contstantly signing autographs at various Save On Foods in and around Vancouver. They were involved in the Canucks Fan Run, raising money for the Canucks For Kids Fund (just another great organization they're a part of). They also have their annual Telethon, of course, raising money for various children's charities in Vancouver and BC. I'm sure I haven't even touched the tip of the iceberg, but you get the idea!

Michael Griffiths said:
It's happened. Mike Comrie has been traded. The Flyers will be even better now. Talk about elite.

Interesting how you scoffed at me earlier in the year for placing them in the "elite" category... also interesting to note the proximity between the flames and the canucks.

:wink:

Enough with rubbing griffs...

Comrie's rights have been traded. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for him to be signed.

Pinball Wizard said:

Interesting how you scoffed at me earlier in the year for placing them in the "elite" category...

Exhibit A

(Taken from 11-07-2003)

Chizip said:
hey griffiths, i have a question for you

what teams do you consider to be elite in the nhl?
Michael Griffiths said:
I haven't really thought about it, but off the top of my head the following teams come to mind (in no particular order):

- Ottawa
- Detroit
- Dallas
- Vancouver
- St. Louis
- Philadelphia
- NJ (what a pity)
- Colorado

:wink:

Let's go back 4 days shall we?

From 11-03-2003
Originally Posted By Michael Griffiths

Clearly, the two best teams in Canada are the Sens and Canucks. Why can't people see this? Two elite teams, both Canadian.

Originally Posted By Pinball Wizard

Ahem, Philadelphia and Tampa Bay are better, ahem.

Originally Posted By Michael Griffiths

Actually, just looked up the stats. The Canucks are currently #1 in the NHL. They are also 1st in goals for, and 3rd in goals against. And Philadelphia is not doing as well either, though they have played less games.

Now, admittedly you didn't say they weren't elite, but as always you tried to overshadow another team with the stats of the Canucks (I consider that a scoff my friend).

I wonder what would happen if we did the same thing 30 games into the season, versus 10... hmmm.

:sexywink:

PS- we won't get into the Tampa Bay thing again... I still think they'll make their rise.

:up:

Last edited:
One of my teams is kicking butt and the other is floating to the surface like a guppy...Kings Rule and i miss The Great One..good old #99 Gretzky.I was there when he scored his 801 goal.I still have my ticket stub.Then there's my other team the Sharks.I swear they are playing much like goldfish.They should have kept Teemu Sellane...grrrrrr!One doing great and the other floundering,what am i gonna do about them.I hope the Kings make it to the playoffs this seaon.They look real tough.They got Elevation in the Pacific division,woohoo!!!Rock N' Roll!

KINGS RULE!!!!:wink:

AdamsPoptart - That's awesome you got to see him break the record. One thing I've noticed with Wayne's record breaking and milestone goals is they've been some of his least spectacular. His 500th goal was into an empty net; his 50th in 39 games was also into an empty net. Even his 802nd goal which you saw was sort of into an empty net, with Kirk Mclean waaay out of position! It was a nice play though. I saw Gretzky play for the Kings back in '92 when I went to Disneyland. They beat Patrick Roy's Habs 5-3, and Gretzky had a goal and 3 assists. I really miss watching him play, too. There's not one guy in the NHL today who can even come close to doing the things he did pretty much ever shift - even the little things like turning back at the offensive blue line at the perfect time, finding the late guy every time. He made the game look easy, made it poetic.

i guess those records shouldnt really count then since empty net goals dont count according to you

Chizip said:
i guess those records shouldnt really count then since empty net goals dont count according to you
The irony is he'd still have 61 records if you'd taken away all the record breaking empty net goals, and allowed him to break the record (or get the milestone) with his next non-empty net goal. That's how much he smashed each and every record. He scored his 500th goal by the time he was 25 - which is absurd. It was in his 575th game or somthing ridiculous like that - the fastest ever. It only took him 424 games to reach a 1000 points - just over 5 seasons! His 92 goals smashed the previous record which was 76. His 215 points were 63 more than anyone else had ever done at the time. Talk about smashing records. Let's not even talk about his 163 assists in a season. He scored over 2 assists per game for an entire season, and still scored over 50 goals! That's just freakish. The next guy down (Bobby Orr) had 102 assists. Wow. He has over a 1000 points more than anyone else, and more assists than anyone else has points, while also having the most goals. Anyway, I obviously digress...

Good one, Chiz. :wink:

He's Mr. Old School - always played for his country, signed every autograph, never complained about the game, respected his coaches, teammates, and fans. He was a one of a kind.

People you can actually mention in the same breath: Ruth, Ali, Gretzky.

Pinball Wizard said:
douch?.

you like how I come in all the time Michael with these non-sequitor one-liners? All in service of nothing!

Go Lightning!
Man, the Lightening just got hammered by the Leafs. Speaking of the Leafs - talk about E-LITE! They're tied for 1st overall I believe. Gary Roberts is on FIRE! :up:

maybe something along the lines of "i'm going to retire as a blue," and then being a baby and not being able to take playing for keenan and then being a bigger baby when a contract was pulled off the table when he was playing like crap.

not to mention his lazy ass play in the neutral zone which led to a turnover that lead to the goal that cost the blues game 7 of a series against the blues most bitter rival, the red wings. for being so great he really sucked in st louis.

Michael Griffiths said:

Man, the Lightening just got hammered by the Leafs. Speaking of the Leafs - talk about E-LITE! They're tied for 1st overall I believe. Gary Roberts is on FIRE! :up:

I wholeheartedly agree.

The Leafs no longer suck this year. I wish them the best. The bastards.

~bitter.

How 'bout those Flames eh? I might actually get to go to a playoff game this year...

They're tied for 1st overall I believe.

i believe the blues have the best overall winning percentage :wink:

(cant go by points until the season is over due to unequal amount of games played)

This thread is simply a schizophrenic argument with myself about why the blues or canucks are better than eachother, why gretzky is a wanker, why the redwings/avalanche blow/rule in attempts to suppress small market teams that are exciting/boring using the trap/defense wins championships!

That's Hockey!

Michael Griffiths said:
Oh, speaking of the Flames, how's the bandwagon in Calgary coming along? It must be getting pretty full, hey?

Actually no... attendance is down compared to last year. The team has had their spirts of success in the past (two years back they were tops in the league until december), and I think the inconsistency is waning the crowds.

In my opinion there will only be bandwagoning if the Flames are trading to bolster for a playoff run at the deadline, rather than accentuating another team's roster potential.

did you know they are playing hockey on ice now? thats right, ice! crazy i tell ya

Back
Top Bottom