2003/2004 NHL Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I said my trespasses were atrocious to the degree that the action was merited to eat up my sig. How did any of that negate the bet? You once again misread the connotations.

Congrats to Brendan Morrison for his first NHL hatrick and 100th career goal tonight against the Flames. :applaud: Good game and I hate to admitt it but the commentator for CBC got it right when he said it was a well deserved tie. The Flames put on the pressure early, we got up ahead but the Flames never gave up. Good game. :up:

Why is it that Vancouver never shows up for teams such as the Flames? They decided to play shinny out there, thinking their big line would get 10 goals, I guess. Instead, Morrison's hat trick capping off an 8 point night for the big line still isn't enough to win. It was great to see Mo get his first career hat trick though, and extra nice to see him do it in style with the game tying goal in the final minutes. It was also great to see Ryan Kesler score his first NHL goal. The kid's only 19, yet for his first 3 games in the NHL he's been playing like a veteran.

I must give credit to Calgary, though, who played their hearts out. I don't think it's possible for a Sutter coached team not to give it there all. I sure hope Van shows up for Thursday's re-match, or they might not be able to simpy rely on their great talent as they did tonight.

Angel said:

He's a right winger.

Forward: an offensive position on the ice.

i.e. center or winger.

Power Forward: a player that integrates offensive attributes with skills in defense, special teams, and agitation. Usually an ugly lot.

i.e. Todd Bertuzzi.

~vindication.

Yes, Calgary did fight valiantly. As Eric Idle said tonight, Calgary is the shit.

Ok, I'm lying... he didn't say the.

Michael Griffiths said:
Why is it that Vancouver never shows up for teams such as the Flames?

i think youre underestimating the team. just like the canucks did.

kobayashi said:
i think youre underestimating the team. just like the canucks did.
I have to agree. Vancouver showed up last night alright, Calgary just over played them.

Are you kidding?! Vancouver was horrible last night. Their defence was asleep (Jovo and Sopel were practically daring the Flames to score with the endless giveaways), and Bertuzzi forgot to bring anything physical to the game (much like in Ottawa). The only players who showed up were Naslund, Morrison, Kesler, and Linden. Cloutier showed up for the first half of the game, but let the Flames get under his skin after that. The Canucks were outshot something like 20-10 by the time the 2nd period rolled around! If that's not showing up, I don't know what is....

I understand the Flames are much better than their record indicates, and are much improved this year over last. However, there is still no way the 1st place team in the NHL should tie a team which is totally out of playoff contention (so far this year, and have been for several seasons). Well, unless they (the Canucks) don't show up, of course.

nah....that 3-3 bruins coyotes tie...that's what the sigh was about...

carry on

Wild and the Quackers tie. 1 - 1
Gaborick needs to get moving and start scoring some goals. Manny looked better in goal than he has for a while.

Michael Griffiths said:

no way the 1st place team in the NHL should tie a team which is totally out of playoff contention (so far this year, and have been for several seasons). Well, unless they (the Canucks) don't show up, of course.

i call it parity. anyone can beat anyone else on any given nite.

even the lowly can take down the...highly. i guess.

leafs are biting at the canucks heels now with those 4 points from last weekend. yay.

Last edited:
I agree with you there's a lot of parity in the NHL today. I also agree with you it is quite possible for any team to beat any other team on a given night (just look at Pittsburgh beating Ottawa 2-1 last week). That said, I believe if a 1st place team is willing to match or better the effort of a last place team, they should definitely win. If they don't win despite matching or bettering the effort, it would be due to some bad luck or some unlikley factors/intangible(s) within the game. In the Calgary/Vancouver game, however, there was no luck or unlikely intangibles involved. Calgary matched them, if not outplayed them (as Angel said) throughout the entire game. That's what I find unacceptable. It's not the fact they prevented a Canuck win. It's the effort the Canucks displayed with which I have an issue.

It's probably just a minor slump... though I do remember the Bruins were 1st place in the NHL at the start of last season, and then around this time began to tank, never to recover. Hopefully they don't repeat that this year.

Michael Griffiths said:
It's probably just a minor slump... though I do remember the Bruins were 1st place in the NHL at the start of last season, and then around this time began to tank, never to recover. Hopefully they don't repeat that this year.

you sound like the newspaper.

Back
Top Bottom