2003/2004 NHL Season - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2003, 10:35 PM   #226
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:09 PM
Wow, what a game!! That was definitely the best game I've seen since the playoffs. Even though the Canucks lost 3-2, this game had it all. A penalty shot, intensity, great goaltending, physical play...you name it. I was disappointed in Doug Weight cross checking Henrik Sedin to the face, but those are the breaks, and thankfully the league takes care of stuff like that in the form of suspensions. Other than that, what a great game. I congratulate the Blues for putting up a great fight. I'd rather see the Canucks lose a game like that than win a game like they did against Nashville where there's no contest. Chiz, you should have taken the bet. I told you!

Old 11-06-2003, 10:41 PM   #227
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:09 PM
well i have to hand it to the blues, they arent the most talented team out there these days, but they work hard and have been getting some big wins

not the greatest goal let in by cloutier when they had the power play, thats the kind of stuff that kills you in the playoffs

i still dont think he is a stanley cup goaltender

Old 11-06-2003, 10:47 PM   #228
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths

That's way too funny! A parking lot, hey? Well, should the Canucks ever win the Cup, they would have an amazing parade, starting down at BC Place, all the way up Robson Street (possibly Georgia, since it's bigger), and into Stanley Park. This of course, would be totally appropriate - it would be the great homecoming for Lord Stanley's great mug. They would "park" the Stanley Cup in Stanley Park. Here's a couple pics of Stanley Park. Ah, one can only dream...
....then they could use the cup as a big bong! Or a depository for used syringes. That would be cool.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:00 PM   #229
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
well i have to hand it to the blues, they arent the most talented team out there these days, but they work hard and have been getting some big wins

not the greatest goal let in by cloutier when they had the power play, thats the kind of stuff that kills you in the playoffs

i still dont think he is a stanley cup goaltender
Ohlund screened him (and might have even got a piece of it) on that goal. I think it looked worse than it was. Cloutier was clutch in the last few minutes, keeping the score tight. Did you see his 4 saves in a row? That was great goaltending.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:02 PM   #230
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener

....then they could use the cup as a big bong! Or a depository for used syringes. That would be cool.
Stanley Park has no used syringes. Big bongs, probably (though most people roll their weed if they smoke up at the park).... but used syringes, no.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:04 PM   #231
Blue Crack Addict

hey griffiths, i have a question for you

what teams do you consider to be elite in the nhl?
Old 11-06-2003, 11:24 PM   #232
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I haven't really thought about it, but off the top of my head the following teams come to mind (in no particular order):

- Ottawa
- Detroit
- Dallas
- Vancouver
- St. Louis
- Philadelphia
- NJ (what a pity)
- Colorado
Old 11-07-2003, 12:13 AM   #233
Blue Crack Addict

id have

detroit
dallas
colorado
new jersey

as "elite"

and

ottawa
philly
st louis
vancouver

as teams on the verge of eliteness, great regular season teams that havent taken the next step to being a major presence in the playoffs (and actually been pretty disappointing in the playoffs)
Old 11-07-2003, 12:22 AM   #234
Rock n' Roll Doggie

That's fair enough, though I have to disagree about Ottawa. I think they answered those criticisms last year by pushing NJ to the 7th game of the conference finals.

I suppose there are two tiers of "elite". The first belong to tier 1 and the second to tier 2. It's all symantics.

I'm not really sure if Colorado is still elite, though. I almost didn't include them. They've gutted their former team and changed the players around so much they've got a different character altogether now. Time will tell just how "elite" they still are... but I believe they'll be quite successful as a new incarnation, so long as their goaltending holds up. Questions that remain to be answered...
Old 11-07-2003, 12:28 AM   #235
Blue Crack Addict

yes, im looking forward to this postseason, there could be a changing of the guard

i could see colorado and detroit going out early again, especially detroit

detroit may need to go through a little bit of a rebuilding phase, i mean how long are hull, shanny, yzerman and others gonna play, and then hasek will retire again so is legace gonna be their starter?

and with the new economics of the new cba can they just go out and outspend people?

ive heard that the owners are dead set on a hard 31 million dollar salary cap, we'll see how close they get to that

so i think after this year there could be changes on who will be elite, and the western conference could be wide open again
Old 11-07-2003, 12:47 AM   #236
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:09 PM
If Vancouver is elite, the Avs are elite.

We may be a young team and I may not be too happy with them at the moment, but judging from the rest of your list, Colorado more than deserves to be there. We have consistently performed at a high level, won our division 8 years running and have two Stanley Cups.

As for gutting the team, the same argument could apply to Detroit or Dallas--Detroit didn't win their last Cup with their same old line-up. They went out and got Hull, Hasek, Robitaille, etc.

Dallas cleans house almost every year and they have failed to go very far the past 3 seasons. With their talent, they should play much better than they do...so I'd be tempted to knock them off the list, but that's just because I hate them. I'll admit they're in the elite.

The Avs trade ALOT, but we've generally kept our leaders--Sakic, Forsberg, Foote, Roy. And I imagine Tanguay and Hejduk will be on our bench for the long haul. Adding Kariya and Selanne didn't alter our line-up that drastically, and is certainly no more than Detroit or Dallas has done in the last few seasons. The rest of the new faces are rookies from Hershey and even the most elite of hockey teams have seasons where they bring in alot of newbies.

But we're having to rally against Phoenix, so what do I know?
Old 11-07-2003, 01:08 AM   #237
Blue Crack Addict

just imagine if vancouver and st louis each won their division so the red wings and avalanche would have to play in the first round

that would be a hoot

and a very real possibility
Old 11-07-2003, 01:16 AM   #238
Rock n' Roll Doggie

AvsGirl - The reason I singled out the Avs is because they have yet to prove their new incarnation a successful one, unlike Dallas, for example, who have had time to prove it. So far, the Avs aren't doing very well, so I can't say this incarnation is elite. I suspect they'll prove to be, but in this moment I cannot say for sure. The loss of Patrick Roy and a couple other key players have really changed the makeup of the team, but the addition of Kariya and Salanne should help...I would think anyway. It has to.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:19 AM   #239
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
just imagine if vancouver and st louis each won their division so the red wings and avalanche would have to play in the first round

that would be a hoot

and a very real possibility
My goodness - another first round battle between Vancouver and St. Louis? I don't think my heart could take it.

Oh, wait. That wouldn't happen if each won their division. Never mind.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:36 AM   #240
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
AvsGirl - The reason I singled out the Avs is because they have yet to prove their new incarnation a successful one, unlike Dallas, for example, who have had time to prove it. So far, the Avs aren't doing very well, so I can't say this incarnation is elite. I suspect they'll prove to be, but in this moment I cannot say for sure. The loss of Patrick Roy and a couple other key players have really changed the makeup of the team, but the addition of Kariya and Salanne should help...I would think anyway. It has to.

But that's just it. The Avs arn't really in a new incarnation! We lost Roy, but we still have Sakic, Forsberg, Foote, Blake, Tanguay and Hejduk--the line up from when we won our last Cup.

The other big names--Drury and Deadmarsh are the only two that really spring to mind--have been traded here and there throughout the past few seasons. Kariya and Selanne were unplanned aquisitions that may or may not be here next season.

The third and fourth lines are where changes have been drastically made this season, but there's alot of teams that shake up those lines. There's alot of teams who lose their starting goaltenders too and I wouldn't exactly consider them "new incarnations" either. I wouldn't consider the Avs to be a new team until the last of the Nordiques have retired.

Would you conside Dallas and Detroit new incarnations then? They've done the same things with their teams as we have, over roughly the same span of time.