2003/2004 NHL Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, hockey players are crazy. My sister used to work at Joe Fortes on Robson and Thurlow in Vancouver, and served the entire Mighty Ducks team. They threw a rookie party, and consumed $20,000 worth of alcohol. Granted, it was high end alcohol, but man...

Note for Chiz and others who missed the Legends Game:

www.nhl.com has video of the game in two parts. It's on the main page, just below and to the right of the picture of Gretzky. It's entitled, "MegaStars Video". You have to register with nhl.com to view it, which I believe is free.

Although it ended in a tie...the Oilers vs Blue Jackets game was a good one. Classic Oilers comback in the third.

Rule 1 of being an Oilers fan.....never leave, or stop watching, a game early just because the team is loosing.

Chizip -

I think we are stuck in a part of the country that doesn't get a lot hockey hype. I was switching around the radio dial (on good nights, I can get the Blues AND blackhawks games on), and only heard one reference to the game.

ESPN2 World Series of Poker, Professional Bowlers Association and World's Strongest Man competition :down:

No, Zoney - I watched a segment on The Score the other night, and they were saying nobody in the US had even heard about it. Gary Bettman is a moron, this much we can assume. Either that, or he just figured that no one in the US would even care about it (maybe he's right?). They were saying that hockey's ratings have plumeted so badly in the States, that even lawn bowling (or some such thing, can't remember) is drawing more interest. And people say the trap doesn't hurt ratings? :eyebrow:

Oh, almost forgot! The Canucks are playing The Sens tomorrow night! A battle of elite Canadian supremacy. :wink: They're both coming off big wins, hoping to build on that momentum. I wonder which one will win? Stay tuned to find out!

Michael Griffiths said:
No, Zoney - I watched a segment on The Score the other night, and they were saying nobody in the US had even heard about it. Gary Bettman is a moron, this much we can assume.

That may be true, BUT, where Chizip goes to school, and where I currently live, is part of the US's Midwestern Basketball Belt. I am SURE that Headache could tell you some stories about Knightly Chair Throwings in Bloomington (where chizzer is). Here in Illinois, hockey is popular in the north part of the state (chicagoland), but is almost non-exsistent in the southern part of the state (closer to Indiana, Missourri and Kentucky - basketball states). There is only ONE sheet of ice in town here...it is at the University. It is more than impossible to get ice time. 100,000 people: one sheet of ice. :shrug:

Hockey is big in Denver and my dad said people were talking about the Edmonton game at work--but I know there was no way to watch it. :|

So obviously, there was some interest....

Yes, but as you say, hockey is big in Denver. How much interest is there all across the US? Sometimes I wonder if the great Bettman dream of expansion into the Southern States was more of a pipe dream than anything. It's almost like they expanded into a market that simply didn't and doesn't exist. Look at all the attendance figures in places like Nashville, Columbus, and Tampa. It's rather depressing. The irony is that expansion drove up salaries, and now the places that truly are hockey hotbed markets are the ones suffering because of it. These problems never existed before expansion into the Southern States. Before 1990, we had "small market" teams like the Edmonton Oilers who could afford to pay several hall of famers. It was a time when the best player in the universe was making a million dollars per year, and everyone else no more than $500,000.

It seems to me the only people who have really benefited from expansion are the players. Even the owners make less now. The fans have to pay exponentially more for tickets, and many of the fans in expansion cities don't like hockey anyway. Bettman has helped create quite the mess. I guess I don't blame him, entirely. He had a vision. That vision - the philosophy of "if we build it, they will come" - might have been right on the mark, as hockey was a great sport at that time. Unfortunately, the steps (that he has been partly involved in) which have been untertaken since then (ie, bringing the nets out from the boards, the trap, etc, etc), have deteriorated the game so much so, that only the most vigilent, loyal, and dedicated fans are now watching the game. It has kind of slipped into a cult status, which is the exact opposite of what Gary Bettman wanted (and still wants, I'm sure). What a pity.

End of rant.

Note: "....only the most vigilent, loyal, and dedicated fans..." covers pretty much everyone in Canada and the "smaller" markets... which is not to say these fans don't exist in the Southern States - just not the majority of them.

Did you hear the TSN guys before the game on Monday? They were talking about all these expansion teams and they feel that if there weren't so many (ie. get rid of some) we might see more higher quality players. They basically feel it's almost too easy to get into the NHL now because there are so many opportunities and that the game is suffering because of it. I h ave to agree actually. What do you think?

Yes, I totally agree. That goes hand in hand with what I was saying above. The talent pool now is so watered down, because of the large number of teams, that they have to resort to boring, clutch and grab, trap hockey to win. There simply isn't enough skill to go around. It's really bad when you see guys like Scott Parker being drafted in the first round. He played for the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL, and was a total goon who could hardly skate. Yet the talent pool is so depleted (and the draft mentality so skewd - "bigger is better"), that guys like him make it in year after year. What a disgrace.

Michael Griffiths said:
Yes, I totally agree. That goes hand in hand with what I was saying above. The talent pool now is so watered down, because of the large number of teams, that they have to resort to boring, clutch and grab, trap hockey to win. There simply isn't enough skill to go around. It's really bad when you see guys like Scott Parker being drafted in the first round. He played for the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL, and was a total goon who could hardly skate. Yet the talent pool is so depleted (and the draft mentality so skewd - "bigger is better"), that guys like him make it in year after year. What a disgrace.

While I don't think Scott Parker was first round material, he was able to skate and had quite a shot. He really did want to become a better player, but Hartley refused to give him any ice time.

Whether or not he would have improved, I guess is open to conjecture. I always liked him, though. :shrug: At least he always tried, unlike his replacement, Peter Worrell.

Oh, I agree he wasn't a bad player for a tough guy trying to make it in the NHL. We all needed him in Kelowna, and enjoyed having him on our team. My point is how can a guy like him get drafted in the 1st freakin' round???!!! By watering down the talent pool, that's how. I'm sure he's a good guy, and I do wish him the best...he just shouldn't be a first rounder in "the best league in the world".

Cujo - now THAT is a signature!! I commend you. Great style. Funny. Has flare.

However, I can't believe you're skipping out tomorrow night on the travelling greatness known as the Canucks. It is not every day greatness comes to town, after all. *shakes head in disbelief*

Dear observers, I have finally come to the realization that the Vancouver Canucks, from the gem of the pacific coast, are the true elite of the NHL; led by the greatest friggin' power forward ever, Todd Bertuzzi, and that Swedish Mansation Markus Naslund (the best player in the world nonetheless). I beseech all for forgiveness in my most heinous of trespasses... atrocious to the degree that this mere statement is monopolizing my signature property. Verbose? Indeed. Cheers Mr. Griffiths.

Michael Griffiths said:
It is not every day greatness comes to town, after all. *shakes head in disbelief*

I'm here every day actually. So you are correct. It just never leaves.

Why would I want to view the battle for ugliest jerseys anyway?

Pinball Wizard said:
Dear observers, I have finally come to the realization that the Vancouver Canucks, from the gem of the pacific coast, are the true elite of the NHL; led by the greatest friggin' power forward ever, Todd Bertuzzi, and that Swedish Mansation Markus Naslund (the best player in the world nonetheless). I beseech all for forgiveness in my most heinous of trespasses... atrocious to the degree that this mere statement is monopolizing my signature property. Verbose? Indeed. Cheers Mr. Griffiths.
Ah ha! Once again deflecting the position which is expressed in the quote away from you, and thereby nagating all responsibility of that position, and thus the bet itself. (Isn't it already obvious enough that it is a joke? Sheesh!)

Back
Top Bottom