2003/2004 NHL Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, it's official: Doug Weight has no class. He said Sedin didn't miss a shift nor received a stitch. He obviously has no clue since he did miss a shift, and took several stitches...

(This was written before the suspension.)

Vancouver Sun - Ian MacIntyre

ST. LOUIS - First Henrik Sedin was rocked. Then he was mocked. At least the Vancouver Canuck can look forward to St. Louis Blue Doug Weight getting socked by the National Hockey League.

Weight faces a likely suspension after viciously cross-checking Sedin during the first period of the Blues' 3-2 victory here Thursday. Weight didn't help his cause by ridiculing Sedin after the game.

Sedin lay on the ice bleeding for several minutes and required stitches to his left eyebrow.

"He lay there for 35 minutes, didn't miss a shift and didn't take a stitch," Weight said, evidently suffering some sort of head injury himself. "He was hooking me and hooking me. I tried to turn and hit him high in the chest. [The stick] rolled up high on him and got him."

If Weight were aiming for Sedin's chest, it was the worst shot of his career. The shaft of Weight's stick struck Sedin's face sickeningly.

"Cross-checked in the face, you never expect that," Sedin said after the game. "It's not fun going on the ice and never knowing if you're going to get cross-checked in the face.

"He's good at using his stick, hooking guys. But I've never seen him do something like that. It's too bad."

Fortunately for Sedin, there were thousands of witnesses.

Comically, none of them was referee Rob Martell nor his arm-flapping sidekick, Mick McGeough. Neither linesman was looking either, despite the fact Sedin and Weight were behind the play and had been engaged in a hook-of-war for at least five seconds.

"Four refs," Sedin said disbelievingly. "One ref should have seen it. I told [them] there should be six on the ice."

Canuck coach Marc Crawford was apoplectic at officials when the incident occurred amid a rash of other Blues' penalties.

"I'm upset because I was watching the referee and I'm sure he saw it, and he chose not to call it," Crawford said. "Those are the things you get upset about."

McGeough was the back referee, responsible for policing the play.

"I thought it was a major penalty for sure," Canuck captain Markus Naslund said. "It was a purpose cross-check. I don't know how two referees could miss it."

"There were a lot of those things going on," Canuck Todd Bertuzzi said. "But that one was a little more brutal than the others."

the canadian media is so biased its funny. you would have thought weight assasinated the canadian prime minister the way they have gone after him, which i think has helped influence the suspension decision.

weight is right, he went to cross check him in the chest, but it rolled up his shoulder and glanced across his face. if it would have been a "vicious cross check straight to the face" then there would have been much more damage done, but he didnt even need any stitches.

i saw you took your missing and shooting someone example straight from the canucks message board, if that is your source for forming your opinion then i feel sorry for you. that is probably the most juvenile board ive ever been to, even worse then the red wings message board which is pretty bad itself.

its hilarious the double standards the canadian press has, i mean one of the canucks players broke the leg of someone else and gets a 2 game suspension. broke the leg!!! sedin gets a glancing blow to the face for which he doesnt even need stitches for and the media goes crazy and weight gets 4 games. may got a 1 game suspension for an "intent to injure" cross check earlier, but now weight gets 4.

i guess if your gm used to be the league disciplinarian your team gets shorter suspensions, maybe the blues should try that.

oh and one more thing, if you have your stick between someones legs and give them a nut job, you better well expect the other guy is gonna get pissed off, id rather get hit in the face then the nuts

a tad dramatic?

Michael Griffiths said:
The Maple Leafs are the joke of the NHL right now

in what sense are the maple leafs the joke of the NHL?

Last edited:
Re: a tad dramatic?

kobayashi said:

in what sense are the maple leafs the joke of the NHL?

Indeed.

We all know that I'M the joke of the league.

Soon I'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

:up:

*waits for gross misinterpretation of bank context.

Term of suspension irks Weight
By DERRICK GOOLD

Blues center Doug Weight, citing other incidents from the NHL this season,
questioned Saturday the consistency of the league's decision to suspend him for
four games as punishment for his cross-check to Vancouver forward Henrik
Sedin's head.

Speaking to the media for the first - and he said - only time about the
suspension, Weight said he was taking responsibility for hitting Sedin with his
stick in the first period of Thursday's 3-2 Blues win. But he "had issues" with
the length of the punishment.

"I think it's a bad ruling ... I think it's wrong. I think it's inconsistent,"
Weight said. "If I would have gotten one game, two games, I would have accepted
it. And I'm going to accept it now because there's nothing I can do about it."

The Blues were frustrated because they feel Weight's suspension doesn't reflect
others meted out by the league. For reference, consider, Buffalo's Rob Ray
received a five-game suspension after slamming the butt-end of his stick into
Bryce Salvador's face in the 2001-02 season. Salvador missed two weeks because
of a concussion from the hit.

Last season, Blues winger Keith Tkachuk received a four-game suspension for a
cross-check to Minnesota forward Wes Walz's neck. The suspension was longer
because Tkachuk was ruled a "repeat offender."

Weight said his clean history - to which even Sedin referenced after the hit,
saying the incident wasn't "like him" - obviously didn't matter.

The suspension cannot be appealed.

More frustrating for Weight and the Blues are far more recent suspensions -
both involving Vancouver. Canucks defenseman Bryan Allen received a two-game
suspension for the slash that broke Detroit forward Henrik Zetterberg's leg.
Although the comparison between Allen's slash and Weight's cross-check can be
argued, more related is Brad May's hit to Jay McKee's head early this season.
May, a Canucks winger, received a one-game suspension.

"I get more than both those guys combined?" Weight said. "It just does not make
sense. ... I'm responsible, but I don't want to come in here and say, 'OK, I'll
accept it.' To me, it's not right. I don't think it's right that I hit
somebody, either. But something's got to be consistent. ... And that's what I
question."

Chizip said:
the canadian media is so biased its funny. you would have thought weight assasinated the canadian prime minister the way they have gone after him, which i think has helped influence the suspension decision.

weight is right, he went to cross check him in the chest, but it rolled up his shoulder and glanced across his face. if it would have been a "vicious cross check straight to the face" then there would have been much more damage done, but he didnt even need any stitches.

i saw you took your missing and shooting someone example straight from the canucks message board, if that is your source for forming your opinion then i feel sorry for you. that is probably the most juvenile board ive ever been to, even worse then the red wings message board which is pretty bad itself.

its hilarious the double standards the canadian press has, i mean one of the canucks players broke the leg of someone else and gets a 2 game suspension. broke the leg!!! sedin gets a glancing blow to the face for which he doesnt even need stitches for and the media goes crazy and weight gets 4 games. may got a 1 game suspension for an "intent to injure" cross check earlier, but now weight gets 4.

i guess if your gm used to be the league disciplinarian your team gets shorter suspensions, maybe the blues should try that.

oh and one more thing, if you have your stick between someones legs and give them a nut job, you better well expect the other guy is gonna get pissed off, id rather get hit in the face then the nuts
LOL, I have to go to work, but if I have time later I might address some of this craziness you've spewed (though I couldn't bring myself to read much after you wrote "he didn't even need any stitches". Good times...

3rd period. i thought that was over time. i wasn't really watching, i was hunting for the remote. the tv was stuck on espn2 because i'm lazy.

True, it was overtime. I'm retarded, I don't really know why I wrote that. :der:

I never consider overtime a win, they split the point either way.

Chizip said:
That's stretching it. I hardly think Colin Cambell bases his rulings on what the media thinks. He's been doing this for years, and why would he treat this case any differently? You don't think he felt pressure to go easy on guys like Todd Bertuzzi (for merely leaving the bench during an altercation)? No, he gave him 10 games for that. Many in the Vancouver media were "pressuring" for a lesser number of games than that, but he didn't backdown and he hit him with what he thought he deserved.

You know this because you are Doug Weight? Look at the replay. His arms actually go upwards to Sedin's (much taller) head. Weight would have to be drunk to miss Sedin's shoulders. He cranked him diagonally right between the eyes and mouth. It was quite accurate. To believe otherwise is to totally discredit the video evidence. Nothing rolled up. Slow the picture down. It was a two hander straight to to the head, totally bypassing the arms or any other body part. As for your assertion that he "didn't even need stitiches," I'd suggest you do your homework. He had 4 or 5 stitches, according to reports. It was a dirty, cheap cross check to the face. End of story.
I agree with you: the Canucks forum is a very juvenile message board, almost half as juvenile as the Blues board, actually. But that's neither here nor there. The point is, the argument which was posted is not juvenile, and is one I happen to agree with, hence me using it in my prior post. Just because many posters at that board are juvenile, doesn't mean they all are. Believe it or not, I'm actually smart enough to distinguish the difference between the immature/unintelligent posts and the intelligent ones. Give me some credit, at least.
Why the hyporbole? I find it amusing that every person who cites the Zeterburg case uses the phrase "broke his leg" with exlamation points immediately following - as though that will somehow, mystically, win their argument for them. We've already gone over the discussion on intent and injury, and how both are crucial variables to the overall equation in determining suspesion. I think we did a solid job of covering that earlier, so I won't bore you any more with repitition.
I guess 10 games for Bertuzzi, as already mentioned, is a "short" suspension? And if by any chance you think Burke was the reason for Weight's 4 game suspension, this couldn't be further from the truth. Burke makes it a policy of his not to send in tapes to the league. When asked about Weight's cross check to Sedin, Burke said he wasn't going to send in the tapes. The NHL stepped in and took measures on their own accord, because they must have felt it had to be done. There was little time for media build up, by the way, because the decision to suspend him was made the evening of the game, and was in full swing by the next morning. If anyone caused the media raucous, it was the NHL by making headlines stating they would be taking action. That's when the blitz actually ensued.
Once again, are you Doug Weight? You felt this nut job yourself? Actually, on second thought, don't answer that! :wink:

Last edited:
Chizip said:
Term of suspension irks Weight
By DERRICK GOOLD

Blues center Doug Weight, citing other incidents from the NHL this season,
questioned Saturday the consistency of the league's decision to suspend him for
four games as punishment for his cross-check to Vancouver forward Henrik
Sedin's head.

Speaking to the media for the first - and he said - only time about the
suspension, Weight said he was taking responsibility for hitting Sedin with his
stick in the first period of Thursday's 3-2 Blues win. But he "had issues" with
the length of the punishment.

"I think it's a bad ruling ... I think it's wrong. I think it's inconsistent,"
Weight said. "If I would have gotten one game, two games, I would have accepted
it. And I'm going to accept it now because there's nothing I can do about it."

The Blues were frustrated because they feel Weight's suspension doesn't reflect
others meted out by the league. For reference, consider, Buffalo's Rob Ray
received a five-game suspension after slamming the butt-end of his stick into
Bryce Salvador's face in the 2001-02 season. Salvador missed two weeks because
of a concussion from the hit.

Last season, Blues winger Keith Tkachuk received a four-game suspension for a
cross-check to Minnesota forward Wes Walz's neck. The suspension was longer
because Tkachuk was ruled a "repeat offender."

Weight said his clean history - to which even Sedin referenced after the hit,
saying the incident wasn't "like him" - obviously didn't matter.

The suspension cannot be appealed.

More frustrating for Weight and the Blues are far more recent suspensions -
both involving Vancouver. Canucks defenseman Bryan Allen received a two-game
suspension for the slash that broke Detroit forward Henrik Zetterberg's leg.
Although the comparison between Allen's slash and Weight's cross-check can be
argued, more related is Brad May's hit to Jay McKee's head early this season.
May, a Canucks winger, received a one-game suspension.

"I get more than both those guys combined?" Weight said. "It just does not make
sense. ... I'm responsible, but I don't want to come in here and say, 'OK, I'll
accept it.' To me, it's not right. I don't think it's right that I hit
somebody, either. But something's got to be consistent. ... And that's what I
question."
I think Doug needs a tissue. He should count his blessings, though. He's lucky he didn't get more games. If Sedin had received a more severe injury (which was entirely possible - at worst he could have lost an eye), Weight would have been gone for a very LONG time.

Yes, just finished watching that. The Wild fought hard (as they always do against the Canucks), and they deserve congratulations for the win. That said, they are truly the most frustrating team in the NHL. It wouldn't be exagerrating to say Bertuzzi and Naslund were wearing Wild players as backpacks all night. They should market a new backpack - essential for the Wilds of Minnesota - and make it into the shape of Wes Walz or something.

Last edited:
So shadowing is a bad thing against an "elite" team?

BTW nice quote from Stevie Y....what did you do? Hold him down and force him to say that?

Michael Griffiths said:
Yes, just finished watching that. The Wild fought hard (as they always do against the Canucks), and they deserve congratulations for the win. That said, they are truly the most frustrating team in the NHL. It wouldn't be exagerrating to say Bertuzzi and Naslund were wearing Wild players as backpacks all night. They should market a new backpack - essential for the Wilds of Minnessota - and make it into the shape of Wes Walz or something.

nothing a little cross check to the face wouldnt solve

Did you see Bertuzzi talking to the goofy Wild fan when he was in the penalty box? Pretty funny!

Edgeman said:
BTW nice quote from Stevie Y....what did you do? Hold him down and force him to say that?
Steve's a smart guy. One of the best captains in NHL history. Who are we to argue his wisdom?

PS. Notice not only did I use caps, but I also used bold *and* asterics for the word *ELITE*! Hmmm, maybe I'll italicize it, too.

Chizip said:

nothing a little cross check to the face wouldnt solve
No, the Canucks instead use things like clean hits and dropping the gloves against other tough guys (as opposed to cross checking finesse players to the head). In short, they stick the general code of conduct.

Lemon Meringue said:
Did you see Bertuzzi talking to the goofy Wild fan when he was in the penalty box? Pretty funny!
Yes, Bertuzzi's a ham. Some people love him, some hate him, but at least everyone knows what they're getting with him. He's quite the character.

Michael Griffiths said:

No, the Canucks instead use things like clean hits and dropping the gloves against other tough guys (as opposed to cross checking finesse players to the head). In short, they stick the general code of conduct.

right, you think thugs going after thugs is gonna stop the finesse players from clutching and hooking and cheap stick work? they are gonna keep doing it until they have to pay the price themselves.

unfortunately with the instigator rule that will never happen and the hooking and clutching and grabbing will continue, along with the 1-0 games.

Back
Top Bottom