2 Underrated REM songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 Beginner said:

I'm looking for someone here who is also on murmurs.com (R.E.M. Forum) Do you happen to be a member?

The people there are kind of assholes when it comes to U2. We don't treat REM that way. Of course, we do tend to be assholes towards Coldplay and Green Day. :tsk:

We're kind of assholes towards U2 too, but I mean, it's like family: only we're allowed to treat them like shit, not other people.

typhoon said:
We're kind of assholes towards U2 too, but I mean, it's like family: only we're allowed to treat them like shit, not other people.

That's very, very true :yes:

- and that's the way it should be :wink:

typhoon said:

So does that mean we can stop treating Coldplay like shit? :wink:

bsp77 said:

The people there are kind of assholes when it comes to U2. We don't treat REM that way. Of course, we do tend to be assholes towards Coldplay and Green Day. :tsk:

I totally agree, the way they talk about U2 is disgusting!:madspit: Sometimes I think they're jealous of them.:shifty: IMO, U2 and R.E.M. are two of the best bands in the world today.:bow:

U2 Beginner said:

I totally agree, the way they talk about U2 is disgusting!:madspit: Sometimes I think they're jealous of them.:shifty: IMO, U2 and R.E.M. are two of the best bands in the world today.:bow:

or it could be that they legitametly don't like u2 :shrug: not everyone worships the ground bono walks on, you know.

IWasBored said:

or it could be that they legitametly don't like u2 :shrug: not everyone worships the ground bono walks on, you know.

Plus... I hate to say it but many times I prefer Stipe's lyrics to Bono's. :shrug:

Zootlesque said:

Plus... I hate to say it but many times I prefer Stipe's lyrics to Bono's. :shrug:

sometimes i do as well.

sometimes i prefer completly different people's lyrics to the two.

just because you're a big fan of one band doesn't mean you a) can only like that band or b) have to like everything they do. no need to "hate to say it" :up:

IWasBored said:

no need to "hate to say it" :up:

That's true! :reject: :wink:

Btw, Is there anybody here that knows how to play the guitar, that can confirm if Monster was indeed a grunge album? In the sense, are the guitars on that album downtuned to a lower chord like they did with grunge music?

Whatever it is, it's a great album! So so underrated! I was listening to it from beginning to end yesterday.. I see it more as a kick ass rock album! :love: :rockon:

Zootlesque said:

That's true! :reject: :wink:

Btw, Is there anybody here that knows how to play the guitar, that can confirm if Monster was indeed a grunge album? In the sense, are the guitars on that album downtuned to a lower chord like they did with grunge music?

Whatever it is, it's a great album! So so underrated! I was listening to it from beginning to end yesterday.. I see it more as a kick ass rock album! :love: :rockon:

It's not a "grunge" album.

It's a rock album.

Peter traded in his jangly, clean arpeggios for a distortion pedal and some power chords.

U2 Beginner said:

Well hello! My username there is The Outsider, whats yours, if you don't mind me asking?
My username is chaos_follower, but honestly I rarely ever post their anymore. I guess when the layout changed I haven't had the time to learn how to properly navigate around there anymore. It's also been slow in actual R.E.M. news in the past year or so and it seems like the forums there are being cluttered with ridiculously inane topics. Maybe once news starts spreading about a new album things will get better, but for now I kinda stay away.

On the other hand, I would HIGHLY recommend for anyone with access to the US iTunes Music store to download Michael's "In The Sun" EP. His versions of the song, especially the two with Joseph Arthur, are absolutely gorgeous.

Diehard R.E.M. fans have ALWAYS been bitter about U2. It bothers them that U2 reached such high levels of fame after coming out of the same college rock soup that R.E.M. did. It's sad because the bands are such good friends, yet in a lot of these people's minds U2 can do nothing right. They're sellouts, Bono's an idiot, etc.

It must piss them off even more that R.E.M. has practically fallen off the face of the eath here in the U.S. and that no one gives a shit anymore. Maybe if the band would go back to writing good songs and trying to put some fucking life into their music again someone will notice.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who LOVES Up, and saw them at that Avalon fan club show that the Life And How To Live It clip came from. I thought they kicked ass that night, loved the "new" rock songs on the In Time collection, and thought they were going to put out something with balls to follow. Alas it was Around the Sun, which not only was without balls, but teeth as well, leaving the dentures on the nightstand.

I've never become so disinterested by a band I loved so much. New Order's recent album had more of a pulse, and they've got 5 years on R.E.M. And the Rolling Stones might be going through the motions, but at least they put up a better front.

tuwie said:
definitely "LEAVE" from Adventures in Hi-Fi. <3<33
i love that song.

Absolutely!!!
Adventures in Hi-Fi is a great album. It is a mix of different moods, not just different songs. Much of the album was recorded at various soundchecks on the 1995 tour, so it has a slighty Zooropa quality about it, capturing how crazy life on the road is.

Also, Around the Sun is a great record in my opinion.

Electron Blue
Aftermath
Make it all okay
The boy in the well
Around the sun
I wanted to be wrong
Final Straw
Wanderlust
The Outsiders

These songs are good. There are a few songs at the end that kind of drag on, but for the most part it's a good record. It's not the same REM we all know and love, but it's still good.

2 songs:
Fall on me
Wendell Gee
But I could go on forever listening their good songs.

lazarus said:
Diehard R.E.M. fans have ALWAYS been bitter about U2. It bothers them that U2 reached such high levels of fame after coming out of the same college rock soup that R.E.M. did. It's sad because the bands are such good friends, yet in a lot of these people's minds U2 can do nothing right. They're sellouts, Bono's an idiot, etc.

I'm a diehard fanatic of REM and i love U2, Really love them. I know what you mean about murmurs though. I hate the way they dis U2 over there. I got kicked out for defending Bono over there!

I started a thread saying that Bono was NOT an 'idiot' and shouldn't be hassled because of his charity work. In the end, i got in a big argument with about 10 Bono haters and got kicked out with no reason given! A member for 6 months with nearly a thousand posts banned cause i defended Bono. It's headwrecking:mad: I do agree that some are just jealous of U2's success.

However don't let them turn you off REM, the band. Yes, the two bands are the best of mates and both are still making great music. Just give it a chance. And, yes, both are still the best 2 bands in the world, without a doubt in my book!(see my thread! hehe). Anyway, not all die hard REM fans hate U2, and not all are idiots. Here to another 10 years with U2 and REM still making shit hot records(Oh, but REM do need to bring out another 'New Adventures' style rock album..........like NOW).

Back
Top Bottom