2 Underrated REM songs - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #61
Refugee

Local Time: 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2 Beginner

I'm looking for someone here who is also on murmurs.com (R.E.M. Forum) Do you happen to be a member?

The people there are kind of assholes when it comes to U2. We don't treat REM that way. Of course, we do tend to be assholes towards Coldplay and Green Day.

Old 02-04-2006, 03:22 PM   #62
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:07 AM
We're kind of assholes towards U2 too, but I mean, it's like family: only we're allowed to treat them like shit, not other people.

Old 02-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
We're kind of assholes towards U2 too, but I mean, it's like family: only we're allowed to treat them like shit, not other people.
That's very, very true

- and that's the way it should be
Old 02-04-2006, 05:13 PM   #64
Refugee

Local Time: 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
So does that mean we can stop treating Coldplay like shit?
Old 02-05-2006, 11:05 AM   #65
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bsp77

The people there are kind of assholes when it comes to U2. We don't treat REM that way. Of course, we do tend to be assholes towards Coldplay and Green Day.
I totally agree, the way they talk about U2 is disgusting! Sometimes I think they're jealous of them. IMO, U2 and R.E.M. are two of the best bands in the world today.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #66
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by NumbMacphisto

Indeed
Well hello! My username there is The Outsider, whats yours, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 02-05-2006, 02:52 PM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:07 PM
Quote:

I totally agree, the way they talk about U2 is disgusting! Sometimes I think they're jealous of them. IMO, U2 and R.E.M. are two of the best bands in the world today.

or it could be that they legitametly don't like u2 not everyone worships the ground bono walks on, you know.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:55 PM   #68
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored

or it could be that they legitametly don't like u2 not everyone worships the ground bono walks on, you know.
Plus... I hate to say it but many times I prefer Stipe's lyrics to Bono's.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:13 PM   #69
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

Plus... I hate to say it but many times I prefer Stipe's lyrics to Bono's.

sometimes i do as well.

sometimes i prefer completly different people's lyrics to the two.

just because you're a big fan of one band doesn't mean you a) can only like that band or b) have to like everything they do. no need to "hate to say it"
Old 02-05-2006, 04:13 PM   #70
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored

no need to "hate to say it"
That's true!

Btw, Is there anybody here that knows how to play the guitar, that can confirm if Monster was indeed a grunge album? In the sense, are the guitars on that album downtuned to a lower chord like they did with grunge music?

Whatever it is, it's a great album! So so underrated! I was listening to it from beginning to end yesterday.. I see it more as a kick ass rock album!
Old 02-05-2006, 04:39 PM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

That's true!

Btw, Is there anybody here that knows how to play the guitar, that can confirm if Monster was indeed a grunge album? In the sense, are the guitars on that album downtuned to a lower chord like they did with grunge music?

Whatever it is, it's a great album! So so underrated! I was listening to it from beginning to end yesterday.. I see it more as a kick ass rock album!
It's not a "grunge" album.

It's a rock album.

Peter traded in his jangly, clean arpeggios for a distortion pedal and some power chords.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:07 AM
definitely "LEAVE" from Adventures in Hi-Fi. <3<33
i love that song.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:39 PM   #73
Refugee

Local Time: 12:07 PM
Quote:

Well hello! My username there is The Outsider, whats yours, if you don't mind me asking?
My username is chaos_follower, but honestly I rarely ever post their anymore. I guess when the layout changed I haven't had the time to learn how to properly navigate around there anymore. It's also been slow in actual R.E.M. news in the past year or so and it seems like the forums there are being cluttered with ridiculously inane topics. Maybe once news starts spreading about a new album things will get better, but for now I kinda stay away.

On the other hand, I would HIGHLY recommend for anyone with access to the US iTunes Music store to download Michael's "In The Sun" EP. His versions of the song, especially the two with Joseph Arthur, are absolutely gorgeous.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:42 AM   #74
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:07 AM
Diehard R.E.M. fans have ALWAYS been bitter about U2. It bothers them that U2 reached such high levels of fame after coming out of the same college rock soup that R.E.M. did. It's sad because the bands are such good friends, yet in a lot of these people's minds U2 can do nothing right. They're sellouts, Bono's an idiot, etc.

It must piss them off even more that R.E.M. has practically fallen off the face of the eath here in the U.S. and that no one gives a shit anymore. Maybe if the band would go back to writing good songs and trying to put some fucking life into their music again someone will notice.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who LOVES Up, and saw them at that Avalon fan club show that the Life And How To Live It clip came from. I thought they kicked ass that night, loved the "new" rock songs on the In Time collection, and thought they were going to put out something with balls to follow. Alas it was Around the Sun, which not only was without balls, but teeth as well, leaving the dentures on the nightstand.

I've never become so disinterested by a band I loved so much. New Order's recent album had more of a pulse, and they've got 5 years on R.E.M. And the Rolling Stones might be going through the motions, but at least they put up a better front.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:09 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by tuwie
definitely "LEAVE" from Adventures in Hi-Fi. <3<33
i love that song.
Absolutely!!!
Adventures in Hi-Fi is a great album. It is a mix of different moods, not just different songs. Much of the album was recorded at various soundchecks on the 1995 tour, so it has a slighty Zooropa quality about it, capturing how crazy life on the road is.

Also, Around the Sun is a great record in my opinion.

Electron Blue
Aftermath
Make it all okay
The boy in the well
Around the sun
I wanted to be wrong
Final Straw
Wanderlust
The Outsiders

These songs are good. There are a few songs at the end that kind of drag on, but for the most part it's a good record. It's not the same REM we all know and love, but it's still good.

2 songs:
Fall on me
Wendell Gee
But I could go on forever listening their good songs.