1st 2 albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote or Die

• Boy - October

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Pablo Honey - The Bends

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Funeral - Neon Bible

Votes: 26 35.6%
  • Hot Fuss - Sam's Town (hehe)

Votes: 13 17.8%

• Total voters
Zootlesque said:

Seriously though, my only exposure to the majority of Bruce's material was thru the Greatest Hits cd (the red and black one). And I've heard people say it is not a good starting point. Maybe I should listen to something else. But songs like Badlands, Glory Days, Hungry Heart etc. do bore me. Don't know if it's cos of radio overplay or what. :shrug:

:tsk:

You have not heard the true Bruce until you've listened to a genuine Bruce album.

I suggest you listen to Born to Run immediately.

Then listen to Darkness On The Edge of Town.

Then listen to The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle (my personal favorite album of all tiempo.)

Shazammm.

People might think it's a crime against Born to RUn, Born in the USA, The River, etc. But my favorite Bruce album has to be The Rising, it has so much resonance for a vareity of topics, but certainly hit coming out when it did.

Devils and Dust was also suprisingly rousing.

well... i picked the arcade fire choice.

even though that isn't entirely fair... cause their first crack was no cars go, not funeral.

I went with Arcade Fire.
The Bends is the best album on there, but I don't think much of Pablo Honey.
I think of Boy as a fair way ahead of October. The only U2 album that I give less spins than October would be Atomic Bomb.
Hot Fuss-Sams's Town, great fun, love them both, but yeah, not really in quite the same category are they....

And I agree, but I've always been so afraid of saying it around here: I find Bruce Springsteen to be good, but dull. Good in the way a Toyota is good. I'm going to get savaged for that....

It is something of a shame that Bruce is more or less defined by Born in the USA- a great album, but nowhere near the quality of Born to Run, Darkness, E. Street Shuffle, or The River.

cdisantis83 said:
It is something of a shame that Bruce is more or less defined by Born in the USA- a great album, but nowhere near the quality of Born to Run, Darkness, E. Street Shuffle, or The River.

I totally hear you. I still haven't heard Tom Joad or Tunnel of Love, but of everything else, Born in the USA is seriously my least favorite Bruce record.

Lancemc said:

I totally hear you. I still haven't heard Tom Joad or Tunnel of Love, but of everything else, Born in the USA is seriously my least favorite Bruce record.

Tunnel of Love is generally lauded by critics, and I personally feel that One Step Up is one of his finest songs. Tom Joad is essentially a sequel to Nebraska. If you are a fan, as I take it that you are, both are worth hearing.

Earnie Shavers said:
And I agree, but I've always been so afraid of saying it around here: I find Bruce Springsteen to be good, but dull. Good in the way a Toyota is good. I'm going to get savaged for that....

I see I'm not alone in thinking the same!

I love me some Bruce.

The Rising is a great album, as is Born to Run. There's a bunch I haven't heard. I like the folksier stuff, too, like Tom Joad and Nebraska. And I loooove the recent "Seeger Sessions" CD.

cdisantis83 said:

Tunnel of Love is generally lauded by critics, and I personally feel that One Step Up is one of his finest songs. Tom Joad is essentially a sequel to Nebraska. If you are a fan, as I take it that you are, both are worth hearing.

I'll make it a point to check both of these out this summer. :up:

Lancemc said:
Then listen to The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle (my personal favorite album of all tiempo.)

Without a doubt the single greatest "traditional" rock-and-roll album ever committed to tape. It is perfect from start to finish, wretched production and all. I have listened to it more times than I have breathed. It is untouchable. Untouchable.

There is a reason why Bono, way back in the day, used to name it as one of the best records ever recorded--because he wasn't always an idiot, and there was a time when he had his finger at least reasonably close to being on the pulse. Holla.

If you shout... said:

Without a doubt the single greatest "traditional" rock-and-roll album ever committed to tape. It is perfect from start to finish, wretched production and all. I have listened to it more times than I have breathed. It is untouchable. Untouchable.

There is a reason why Bono, way back in the day, used to name it as one of the best records ever recorded--because he wasn't always an idiot, and there was a time when he had his finger at least reasonably close to being on the pulse. Holla.

:applaud:

Spectacular.

Earnie Shavers said:

I'm with you on that.

Come to think of it, I find the majority of "traditional" straight-ahead rock pretty dull.

cdisantis83 said:

The Ghost of Tom Joad :up: :yes:

Subject matter wise, its mostly about the American southwest. A lot to do with Mexican illegal immigrant and migrant workers. Though not every song is about those themes, "Straight Time" :drool: . It's a bit slower and quieter than Nebraska, but it's still very good. Not something you would put on to get pumped or excited though.

Have to go with Boy - October on this one. It took awhile for October to grow on me, but it truly is a brilliant album for sure. Boy is an exceptional first album with so much promise and awesome songs. :love: :heart:

LemonMelon said:

:lol: You make it sound as if I just said October was U2's best record or something. War is bloody fantastic; certainly better than either of the two U2 albums up there. Both albums are great, but I would rather listen to War the majority of the time. :shrug:
\\\\

I don't like the 1st 2. War I'm okay with. I just disagree that it's better than Achtng

beatles1.jpg

beatles2.jpg

Saracene said:

I'm with you on that.

Come to think of it, I find the majority of "traditional" straight-ahead rock pretty dull.

you're just ignorant on Springsteen. His 70's stuff is about as far away from "traditional straight ahead rock" as you can get. I can't think of many rock songs that open with a tuba. But Springsteen has one.

Back
Top Bottom