1st 2 albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote or Die

• Boy - October

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Pablo Honey - The Bends

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Funeral - Neon Bible

Votes: 26 35.6%
  • Hot Fuss - Sam's Town (hehe)

Votes: 13 17.8%

• Total voters
I'm not a huge Arcade Fire fan but I voted for them simply because they've put out two consistently good-to-great albums. Other combos are more uneven - Sam's Town is IMO a dip in quality from Hot Fuss; same with October and Boy; whereas The Bends is massively superior to Pablo Honey.

U2Man said:
i cannot believe pablo honey - the bends doesn't get any votes. the bends is the only true masterpiece in this competition. even without pablo honey at its side, it easily kicks the butts of everything else in this competition.

It's "Pablo Honey"'s fault the lack of votes.

There are so many contenders that have yet to be mentioned, including these:

The Doors: 1/Strange Days
Jimi Hendrix Experience: Are You Experienced/Axis

Aygo said:

It's "Pablo Honey"'s fault the lack of votes.

even if pablo honey were the piece of crap that many people want to make it out to be (which it is not) i would take a crap album + a masterpiece over any pair of just good albums any day.

funeral and neon bible are good albums, but far from being masterpieces.

Last edited:
martha said:

Pablo Honey doesn't flip my pancakes.

Oh, to flip martha's pancakes. :drool:

Besides U2, the only albums I own from those are The Bends and Hot Fuss. I'm getting Sam's Town soon though, Ernie forgot to cancel his automatic selection for his music club, so I said I'd take it off his hands, I've been wanting to hear it anyway.

You guys missed the ultimate opening duo:

unknown_pleasures1.jpg

+

closer1.jpg

I like October musically, however, I think it would've aged better had Bono's lyrics not been stolen before recording began and the final vocals weren't him just standing at the mic making shit up as he's going along.

October is probably U2's most vocally sparse album (aside from Passengers), and for U2 to succeed, Bono needs to dominate!!!! (or at least equal Edge) Not that an instrumental here and there (4th of July :drool: ) wouldn't be nice too!

Ok, now I want to go listen to October. :yes:

Boy - Brilliant, October - Great
Pablo Honey - No idea, The Bends - Brilliant
Funeral - Brilliant, Neon Bible - Brilliant
Hot Fuss - Great, Sam's Town - No Idea

so Arcade Fire win

U2Man said:
i cannot believe pablo honey - the bends doesn't get any votes. the bends is the only true masterpiece in this competition. even without pablo honey at its side, it easily kicks the butts of everything else in this competition.

Would you take a D and an A or two Bs for 2 grades?

I'd take the 2 Bs... Funeral/Neon Bible.

HEY! NO CARS GO!

Chizip said:
damn i should have put Ten and Vs in there too :hmm:

oh well

Which would have easily been the winner.

This is a hard one, Pablo Honey is nothing special outside of creep, and Boy/October both quality but not masterwork...whereas The Bends is just :drool: level work.

Oh and this Arcade Fire worship really has to stop.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Would you take a D and an A or two Bs for 2 grades?

I'd take the 2 Bs... Funeral/Neon Bible.

HEY! NO CARS GO!

well, wouldn't you prefer to be operated by an absolutely splendid surgeon that got nothing but a+s in med school, but got a d- at medieval history in high school to a surgeon that got a b at everything at med school and a b at everything in high school?

U2Man said:

well, wouldn't you prefer to be operated by an absolutely splendid surgeon that got nothing but a+s in med school, but got a d- at medieval history in high school to a surgeon that got a b at everything at med school and a b at everything in high school?

:grumpy:

I want my surgeon to know about the Agalloch torture devices.

think about it. in the future, all the b albums will be long forgotten, while the masterpieces will be played. the bends is the only album of the above that people will keep listening to. i promise you.

I became a U2 fan IN SPITE OF their mostly God awful early stuff. It's the stuff that gives Henry Rollins his toxic material.

dietcokeofevil said:
I became a U2 fan IN SPITE OF their mostly God awful early stuff. It's the stuff that gives Henry Rollins his toxic material.

War > Achtung Baby, IMO

dietcokeofevil said:

em...we just ain't gonna agree on this one are we?

:lol: You make it sound as if I just said October was U2's best record or something. War is bloody fantastic; certainly better than either of the two U2 albums up there. Both albums are great, but I would rather listen to War the majority of the time. :shrug:

War was great for its time and great for us fans, but its only songs like NYD and SBS (anf 40 for concert goers) that live on, whereas Achtung Baby was something new, and still sounds fresh, with much darker and poetic lyrics...basically AB would have to be my favorite album ever, but to each their own.

U2Man said:

even if pablo honey were the piece of crap that many people want to make it out to be (which it is not) i would take a crap album + a masterpiece over any pair of just good albums any day.

funeral and neon bible are good albums, but far from being masterpieces.

Well, but the topic is talking about debut pairs, and the consense says that Pablo Honey's not that great. I didn't say however that is crap, is far from that...

Zootlesque said:
I'd rather listen to something fun and danceable like The Killers than something boring like Springsteen.

Yes I went there.

I hate to quote myself but I have to explain my comment. I do not hate Springsteen. In fact I really enjoy a handful of his songs including Streets Of Philadelphia, Human Touch, I'm On Fire, Born In The USA, Born To Run, Dancing In The Dark, Secret Garden among a few others.

But...

martha said:
If someone gave me the Killers for free, I'd sell them to the used record store for something better. Like, oh, anything else.

... this unnecessarily cruel comment against the Killers made me retaliate. Cos I know martha enjoys the Boss. ;)

Seriously though, my only exposure to the majority of Bruce's material was thru the Greatest Hits cd (the red and black one). And I've heard people say it is not a good starting point. Maybe I should listen to something else. But songs like Badlands, Glory Days, Hungry Heart etc. do bore me. Don't know if it's cos of radio overplay or what. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom