1984 is bloody brilliant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I think I'm going to re-read this book. Look at these quotes. It is scary how much and how accurately some, if not all, of these can apply to the world today.

"The hypnotic eyes gazed into his own. It was as though some huge force were pressing down upon you -- something that penetrated inside your skull, battering against your brain, frightening you out of your beliefs, persuading you, almost, to deny the evidence of your senses. In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it."

"The Ministry of Peace concerns itself with War; the Ministry of Truth with Lies; the Ministry of Love with Torture; and the Ministry of Plenty with Starvation."

"Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them."

And here is the most legendary catchphrase from this:

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength."

Some well-spoken definitions:

War is Peace: the government's military industrial complex maintains order by creating a perpetual environnment of war, threate of war, and war expenses. In today's world it is embocied in Bush's War on Terrorism, which morphs into what ever will create the next place to attack in order to distract the population from democracy. Peace is defined as the state controlling all dissent. War is used as the national security rationale to quash dissent of the government and therfore create the illusion of peace.

Freedom is Slavery: the government uses the supposed "chaos" of freedom to say that those who act freely are threatening society and therefore put the rest of society into slavery to fear. The freedom of civil liberties are used as the reason to restrict freedom because such freedom may threaten national security. If we, so says the government/capitalist controllers of the media military industrial complex, allow freedom then we will be enslaved by those who use freedom against us. In fact the truth of that logic is used by them to enslave us by corporate contol of the media.

Ignorance is Strength: Only by keeping people in igornance can a nation state remain strong in its ideological purity. Most religions or political groups can not survive when their members are in doubt. Just think of how questions are received in the sunday school class.
Thus keeping the members in ignorance prevents doubt and makes for the unquestioning obedience to the "group" and its leaders. That is a strong group in which inquisitions and witchhunts are freely enslaving the people. But the group is strong based on the ignorance of the individual members.

It all hits a little too close to home. Brilliant novel though.

yes, it is brilliant.

it's scary how it's been a little too close to home to pretty much every presidential administration, dictatorship, etc. in all sorts of countries since it was written.

but then again, i think that was part of orwell's point.

:up:

I read it for the first time this summer. Normally I don't like psychological classics (yeah I'm crazy), but this book was AMAZING. It's so creative, well written, and relevant to the time.

Oh, I absolutely love 1984. It's one of the few books that I actually consider to be perfect in every way. I can't even count the number of times I've read it on both hands.

Orwell simply was a genius.

"And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed—if all records told the same tale—then the lie passed into history and became truth. 'Who controls the past' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.'"

Ring a bell, anyone?

yeah, that book depressed me to no end.

while i believe its intentions were to point a finger at something like the soviet union, there is no question the united states administration is running full speed ahead in order to install more big brother policies...

all in the name of homeland security, or "terrorism".

absolutly agree
it shocks me that we have had such a clear warning in such an excellent piece of literature and it has been clearly ignored.
I think it can also be placed in the context of pop culture.
Ironic really, if you ask someone what is big brother they will say that it is the tv program.
War Is Peace.
Freedom Is Slavery
Ignorance Is Strength

How funny that someone started this thread---I'm just rereading it myself! It is definately an excellent book; I love Orwell's style of writing, not to mention his brilliant foresight into the dictatorships of the 20th and 21st centuries (communist and otherwise). I cannot say enough about this book!

I've read this one before Animal Farm. I always thought of it as a parody of any political system not just the soviet union. But it does hit a little too close to home!

By the way... i remember seeing the movie in English class, didn't think it did the book justice (as all movies tend to pretty much ruin the book)

Back
Top Bottom