1984 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2004, 02:56 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 06:35 PM
Great novel, yet nobody seems to be concerned about the current war on terror and it's similarities to the world of Big Brother and the neverending war. When I heard about the Patriot Act back in the days following 9/11 I almost thought I was dreaming due to its similar wording and philosophies.

I read the book about 8 years ago, but our teacher didn't give a worthy presentation the text and its significance. Sometimes I regret my schooling.

Lastly, this thread should read, "Nineteen Eighty-Four" not "1984". Orwell felt that in the future everything would be condensed into numbers and symbols, thus destroying the beauty of the written word.

Old 06-01-2004, 03:04 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Danospano
Great novel, yet nobody seems to be concerned about the current war on terror and it's similarities to the world of Big Brother and the neverending war. When I heard about the Patriot Act back in the days following 9/11 I almost thought I was dreaming due to its similar wording and philosophies.
I'm concerned about it. Which is why I am not commenting on it, if I'm being completly honest.

I really need to re-read that book. Everytime I try, I get a little freaked out by all of the similarities and have to stop.

Quote:
this thread should read, "Nineteen Eighty-Four" not "1984".
Orwell had a point there, too, don't you think? It's much easier to type "1984" then "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Although that is more of an issue of laziness, it is still a good observation on his part.

Old 06-02-2004, 02:15 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 10:35 AM
one of my fave books ever!

My grade 12 english teacher got me hooked on George Orwell, I did an assignment on comparing the social issues in both 1984 and Animal Farm and got an A+ for it. I just love both those books...

If you like 1984 have you tried reading Aldous Huxleys 'Brave New World', its good too and kinda in the same genre
Old 06-02-2004, 04:57 AM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 12:35 AM
"Brave New World" is also one of my favorite books!
Have any of you read any other Huxley's book? Anything to recommend?
Old 06-02-2004, 06:03 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:35 AM
I'm optimistic about totalitarian systems in that while they probably can't be 'brought down', they will in the end bring themselves down. The centre cannot hold.

I must admit I have never read 1984. Somehow that one passed me by. Catch 22 is in a similar vein from what I can gather (though obviously not about totalitarianism).
Old 06-02-2004, 07:40 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
I'm optimistic about totalitarian systems in that while they probably can't be 'brought down', they will in the end bring themselves down. The centre cannot hold.

I must admit I have never read 1984. Somehow that one passed me by. Catch 22 is in a similar vein from what I can gather (though obviously not about totalitarianism).
my dear ass, you were poorly misinformed

catch 22 has almost nothing in common with 1984

the former is more like a twisted physchotic M.A.S.H...and the latter is a dreary dytopian tale
Old 06-02-2004, 06:33 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 10:35 AM
Yes, Catch 22 is NOTHING like 1984, but a great book nonetheless. Catch 22 probably has more similarites with One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest than 1984, again another great book. The line that always gets me in 1984 is near the end when Winston says "do it to Julia", meaning that BB had crushed him, a very poignant book, considering what is happening in the world at the moment and the fact that it was written in 1948. ALthough I do reccomend NOT watching the film, its pathetic
Old 06-02-2004, 10:01 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:35 AM
Yeah I realize the two books are about very different things, but I think the phrase '2+2=5' could be applied to both.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:59 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
Yeah I realize the two books are about very different things, but I think the phrase '2+2=5' could be applied to both.
I agree...
Old 06-03-2004, 01:14 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by OzAurora
ALthough I do reccomend NOT watching the film, its pathetic
I saw the beginning of that movie, it was very lame indeed.

I love 1984, it's one of my favorite books. I've read it twice, once in 9th grade and once in 12th. Definately understood a lot more the second time haha. I should read Brave New World sometime, i've always wanted to.

War is Peace.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:21 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:35 PM
Yes! Read Brave New World. It's incredible. Especially when you think about cloning and what ramifications that could have.