1970's "Super Slam" - Prog Rock or Punk Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Well? Pick one.

• Prog Rock

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Punk Rock

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Crap is shit.

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This isn't even a contest. Prog = the best music. :drool:

(Though I do prefer modern prog over the classic seventies prog.)

Prog musicians could actually play their instruments. :wink:

Axver said:
This isn't even a contest. Prog = the best music. :drool:

(Though I do prefer modern prog over the classic seventies prog.)

QFT!

Though I prefer classic prog over modern day prog.

Yes, Pink Floyd, Focus, Renaissance, Utopia, Genesis, and The Alan Parsons Project...just to name a few. :drool:

Now I'm off to listen to Tales Of Mystery and Imagination.

Perfection over passion?

Virtuosity over venom?

Agility over anger?

johnny.jpg

PinkFloydA_18.JPG

Last edited:
Screwtape2 said:

I would argue that Prog Rock is capable of both perfection and passion, perhaps more passion than punk rock. Prog is not the polished genre that people assume it is. It can be venomous and angry.

Please, elaborate on how Prog rock is more passionate than Punk rock.

Some musicians can know every scale and wank all they want and still never achieve any real emotion, and some musicians may only know a few chords and put any poet to shame.

Screwtape2 said:
I would argue that Prog Rock is capable of both perfection and passion, perhaps more passion than punk rock. Prog is not the polished genre that people assume it is. It can be venomous and angry.

I agree. The idea that prog lacks passion or anger is a myth. Do I even need to point any further than Shine On You Crazy Diamond for emotion? If I do, Steven Wilson is CLEARLY not a happy man in Porcupine Tree's The Sound Of Muzak. There's more venom - more clearly focused venom too - in that song than any punk track I've ever heard.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Some musicians can know every scale and wank all they want and still never achieve any real emotion, and some musicians may only know a few chords and put any poet to shame.

you mean this dude?

joetype.jpg

Last edited:
Axver said:
There's more venom - more clearly focused venom too - in that song than any punk track I've ever heard.

How many Clash records have you heard?

You need Clash records.

Last edited:
Okay,

The rage in Punk Rock gets tuned out after a while. You can't tell me that the majority of punk rock retains its passion over years and multiple listens. The problem with punk rock is that it is straight forward. With Prog Rock on the otherhand, the passion and fury are built up by a story or simply its complexity. Take The Knife by Genesis for example. The song has real passion but depth to keep it fresh.

Simply put, Punk Rock ceases to be passionate over time while Prog Rock with its depth can keep the passion fresh and unique. Punk Rock is like a slasher film that you swear you've seen a hundred times before. The characters change but the gore remains the same. At some point there's no passion left. At the end of the day, Punk Rock is just annoying feedback from an amp.

Screwtape2 said:
Okay,

The rage in Punk Rock gets tuned out after a while. You can't tell me that the majority of punk rock retains its passion over years and multiple listens. The problem with punk rock is that it is straight forward. With Prog Rock on the otherhand, the passion and fury are built up by a story or simply its complexity. Take The Knife by Genesis for example. The song has real passion but depth to keep it fresh.

Simply put, Punk Rock ceases to be passionate over time while Prog Rock with its depth can keep the passion fresh and unique. Punk Rock is like a slasher film that you swear you've seen Like an a hundred times before. The characters change but the gore remains the same. At some point there's no passion left. At the end of the day, Punk Rock is just annoying feedback from an amp.

I'd say prog rock is like fucking a chick whilst reading a manual about sex. Checking each step. Double checking each step. Asking her if it's ok with her.

And punk rock is just kinda "going at it." Like a wild animal.

They both have their place. But one puts a bigger grin on my face than the other.

Not to mention her face.:ohmy:

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
I'd say prog rock is like fucking a chick whilst reading a manual about sex. Checking each step. Double checking each step. Asking her if it's ok with her.

They both have their place. But one puts a bigger grin on my face than the other.

Here's how I see it:

Good punk: "going at it" like a wild animal.
Bad punk: getting done up the arse with no lube when you really weren't expecting it. By a fork.

Good prog: One of those evenings where absolutely every detail falls into place and is memorable. And not just the sex, but also everything beforehand like the romantic dinner, and everything afterward such as lying together in the dark and sleeping soundly and contentedly in each other's arms.
Bad prog: Reading the manual and getting everything "right", but really not having much intimacy or pleasure.

So, in other words, good punk is for when you're really horny while good prog is for when you want an evening to remember.

MrBrau1 said:
How many Clash records have you heard?

You need Clash records.

I have a few. I hold The Clash in high regard. :up:

(I was in fact the person cheering the loudest at every U2 gig I saw when Bono snippeted Rock The Casbah.)

What I meant with my comment is that you have punk rockers such as the Sex Pistols who had an unfocused aggression - Johnny Rotten is busy sneering and everyone and everything. Meanwhile, when a prog musician like Steven Wilson gets angry, his aggression is very focused and direct and cuts through the subject with precision. You get the whole package too; not just the anger but also the context. It makes for more potent, thought-provoking venom. I guess it's the difference between your cousin Bob who thinks Bush is a fucking dickhead and your friend Andrzj the academic who just published a book explaining the failings of Bush's policy. Bob's great for a conversation and you can get a lot off your chest while cheering on his hyperbole. Andrzj requires you to engage your brain, but his critique is probably more effective and definitely provides you with a much stronger foundation, not to mention how his well-considered attacks provide you with so many more reasons to despise Bush than Bob's semi-incoherent venom could ever hope to provide.

prog may be technically brilliant, but I still don't like it. 70's prog anyway. Pink Floyd and Yes have some stuff I like, but Genesis... :yuck: in general i could just never get into it. porcupine tree is tight though

Punk is awesome. guess I like the rough sex :wink:

I suppose i'm leaning more towards punk because of the fact that quite a lot of classic singles came out in the late 70's that still stand up today like 'fallen in love' by buzzcocks, 'my sharona' by the knack and 'god save the queen' by the sex pistols. The clash are one of my favourite bands ever and the ramones were as good as any of the good punk of the day. Although i must admit there was quite a lot of bad punk which is pretty much unlistenable its that awful. Also the influence of punk can't be understated as the movement went on to influence bands such as U2, Pixies, The Smiths, Nirvana and suchlike.

And i remember Bono saying something like before punk came along it looked like you needed some sort of musical degree to even think about starting a band. Although on the other hand i am slowly being drawn in by the charms of pink floyd so if you ask me this question again in a year or so i might change my mind...

The whole prog versus punk argument is ridiculous. Always has been, always will be. Apples versus oranges. It's so silly that people feel they have to swear allegiance to one over the other. I mean really, is there any need to still be arguing about this in 2007? There were good 70s prog bands and there were bad 70s prog bands. There were good 70s punk bands and there were bad 70s punk bands. Why not just savour the best of it?

So while you guys are grumbling over guitar scales and whether or not they are passionate, I'm going to have a listen to Wish You Were Here. Then I'm going to have a listen to London Calling. And, would you know it, I'm going to enjoy both of them!

I didn't read the statement in this thread that said you had to enjoy one genre and completely loathe the other. I just took it as a "state your preference" type of thing. Obviously not many people are going to see this as a black-or-white, either/or type of choice.

Anyway, I'd definitely take punk over prog. Great prog (Wish You Were Here, The Wall, In the Court of the Crimson King) can be absolutely exquisite, but great punk (The Clash, London Calling, God Save the Queen, Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables, etc.) can be simply electrifying. Both are good, and it really depends on my mood as to which genre's highs I enjoy the most.

However, average-to-bad prog can easily make me laugh at its overwrought pretentiousness, assuming it doesn't put me to sleep altogether. Average-to-bad punk at least tends to retain the energy and passion that defines the genre, though it can be somewhat grating at times.

Overall, I'd say I enjoy more punk music (especially if we include post-punk and the music that the aforementioned genres influenced), but I certainly don't hate prog as a whole. Pink Floyd, King Crimson, and the like have made some amazing stuff. But I just tend to enjoy the punk aesthetic more.

I think Glam Rock to Punk Rock is a fairer comparison, but in this case I'd have to pick Prog Rock.

You cannot beat Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson, and Genesis in the '70s.

MrBrau1 said:

Punk Punk Punk :drool:

Ramones, Clash, Blondie, not so much the Pistols, Television, Patti Smith, etc. Oh, to have been a poet in 70's New York.

GibsonGirl said:
So while you guys are grumbling over guitar scales and whether or not they are passionate, I'm going to have a listen to Wish You Were Here. Then I'm going to have a listen to London Calling. And, would you know it, I'm going to enjoy both of them!

That's why there's a "Crap Is Shit" option.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom