17 year locusts, I mean cicadia- will you get them? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2004, 03:03 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:04 AM
17 year locusts, I mean cicadia- will you get them?

It's time for brood x, the largest of the 12 batches of 17 year cicadias, most often called locusts, to emerge. I can't find an online map, but they will cover much of the US east and midwest. They are just hatching out in VA, does anybody else have them, or have you ever had an experience with them? These have been living underground since the Joshua Tree days, and are coming out just in time for this latest album.

http://archive.parade.com/2004/0509/0509_invasion.html

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories...594&ran=232520

Old 05-21-2004, 03:06 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Yeah we have tons of them here at my office...i've squished them, had them crawl on me, put on me....and they're loud as hell today. They're hideous and I hate them.

They don't do anything but eat and get it on but still...they're feckin HUGE! and they got these really red buggy eyes and they're green and they leave their shells all over the place

Old 05-21-2004, 03:12 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks for the report, but I'm sorry you got so 'bugged' by so many Save some in a jar, the next time they come back you will probably have a 12 year old kid to show them to.

I'm going to try to drive north this weekend to see if I can find some. I just want to hear some, I don't know if I want find a bunch crawling around or not.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:21 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:04 AM
I was in Michigan whenever it was that they were there in the early 90's, and in Kentucky and Virginia when they last were in those areas. I used to like to hold them. Cicadas aren't locusts, though (though some people confuse them). Locusts look like grasshoppers and are much more destructive than cicadas, which suck the sap from deciduous trees (and rarely do much damage).
Old 05-21-2004, 04:22 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, and I'll have to make sure jkayet sees this thread. She LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVES cicadas!
Old 05-21-2004, 04:25 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah that's why I called it locusts I mean cicadias, because almost everyone, especially the old folks call them locusts but they aren't. I think I was in Wisconsin in 1998 when there were real locusts, grasshoppers all over the place so loud I thought something was wrong with the car going down the interstate! We pulled over and turned off the motor and we still heard it. The grass was full I mean full of grasshoppers. It must be like the ones in the Little House books that ate the crops
Old 05-21-2004, 04:27 PM   #7
New Yorker

Yes, the cicadas are currently basing their invasion of Virginia out of my front & back yard.

They wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the smell...and their sharp legs when they land on you. Anyway, I have so many candles going because I think I can smell them inside (although it's probably my imagination) that I accidently bent a window blind by putting the candle too close to it...the problems cicadas create!
Old 05-21-2004, 04:29 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:04 AM
They are currently all over my yard. I crunch through them to get to my car in the mornings. And they are starting to get loud.....
Old 05-21-2004, 05:08 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks for the interesting info people! I really want to drive out and find some. Give 'em a break, poor things, what a life. They wait 17 years to live 2 months, they'll be gone soon.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:26 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

oh god...not those things. i hate those. they're noisey, they leave their shells all over the car, the yard, and they fall into the grill when you're bbq-ing and make all sorts of scary craclking sounds. or they smack into your forehead while you're on your bike.

wait a second...17 years? i swear we had them 6 years ago. it couldn't have been 17 years ago because i don't remember being 3.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:52 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored
oh god...not those things. i hate those. they're noisey, they leave their shells all over the car, the yard, and they fall into the grill when you're bbq-ing and make all sorts of scary craclking sounds. or they smack into your forehead while you're on your bike.

wait a second...17 years? i swear we had them 6 years ago. it couldn't have been 17 years ago because i don't remember being 3.
That's what I thought too, I know we had a huge batch 8 years ago. But I found out from the Parade magazine story I posted that there are 12 'broods' of them that hit 17 years in different years. This is Brood x, the biggest and most famous, but there have been other outbreaks in other years too. The 1996 batch was the bigger one for my area, but this one is the biggest for the whole country.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:05 PM   #12
Refugee

UUU! i don't like bugs! or whatever you call them! yuck!! thank God I am NOT living in Va! Whew!
Old 05-21-2004, 07:16 PM   #13
Refugee

they are supposed to be here, I am glad I have not seen them.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:23 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

They will definitely will an appearance in my neck of the woods.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:14 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
It must be like the ones in the Little House books that ate the crops
I was just thinking that! Little House books.

I don't think these come my way. And I don't think I'm upset at all by that, from what everyone's saying!