17 year locusts, I mean cicadia- will you get them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
It's time for brood x, the largest of the 12 batches of 17 year cicadias, most often called locusts, to emerge. I can't find an online map, but they will cover much of the US east and midwest. They are just hatching out in VA, does anybody else have them, or have you ever had an experience with them? These have been living underground since the Joshua Tree days, and are coming out just in time for this latest album.

http://archive.parade.com/2004/0509/0509_invasion.html

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=70594&ran=232520

Yeah we have tons of them here at my office...i've squished them, had them crawl on me, put on me....and they're loud as hell today. They're hideous and I hate them. :down:

They don't do anything but eat and get it on but still...they're feckin HUGE! and they got these really red buggy eyes and they're green and they leave their shells all over the place :huh:

Thanks for the report, but I'm sorry you got so 'bugged' by so many;) Save some in a jar, the next time they come back you will probably have a 12 year old kid to show them to.

I'm going to try to drive north this weekend to see if I can find some. I just want to hear some, I don't know if I want find a bunch crawling around or not.

I was in Michigan whenever it was that they were there in the early 90's, and in Kentucky and Virginia when they last were in those areas. I used to like to hold them. :reject: Cicadas aren't locusts, though (though some people confuse them). Locusts look like grasshoppers and are much more destructive than cicadas, which suck the sap from deciduous trees (and rarely do much damage).

Yeah that's why I called it locusts I mean cicadias, because almost everyone, especially the old folks call them locusts but they aren't. I think I was in Wisconsin in 1998 when there were real locusts, grasshoppers all over the place so loud I thought something was wrong with the car going down the interstate! We pulled over and turned off the motor and we still heard it. The grass was full I mean full of grasshoppers. It must be like the ones in the Little House books that ate the crops :huh:

Yes, the cicadas are currently basing their invasion of Virginia out of my front & back yard.

They wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the smell...and their sharp legs when they land on you. Anyway, I have so many candles going because I think I can smell them inside (although it's probably my imagination) that I accidently bent a window blind by putting the candle too close to it...the problems cicadas create! ;)

They are currently all over my yard. I crunch through them to get to my car in the mornings. And they are starting to get loud.....:|

Thanks for the interesting info people! I really want to drive out and find some. Give 'em a break, poor things, what a life. They wait 17 years to live 2 months, they'll be gone soon.

oh god...not those things. i hate those. they're noisey, they leave their shells all over the car, the yard, and they fall into the grill when you're bbq-ing and make all sorts of scary craclking sounds. or they smack into your forehead while you're on your bike.

wait a second...17 years? i swear we had them 6 years ago. it couldn't have been 17 years ago because i don't remember being 3.

IWasBored said:
oh god...not those things. i hate those. they're noisey, they leave their shells all over the car, the yard, and they fall into the grill when you're bbq-ing and make all sorts of scary craclking sounds. or they smack into your forehead while you're on your bike.

wait a second...17 years? i swear we had them 6 years ago. it couldn't have been 17 years ago because i don't remember being 3.

That's what I thought too, I know we had a huge batch 8 years ago. :hmm: But I found out from the Parade magazine story I posted that there are 12 'broods' of them that hit 17 years in different years. :scream: This is Brood x, the biggest and most famous, but there have been other outbreaks in other years too. The 1996 batch was the bigger one for my area, but this one is the biggest for the whole country.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
It must be like the ones in the Little House books that ate the crops :huh:
I was just thinking that! :heart: Little House books.

I don't think these come my way. And I don't think I'm upset at all by that, from what everyone's saying!

I can't wait for them to get to NY. I guess 1 acre of open land can produce 1 million buggies. Wow. And the whole purpose is so they can screw.

U2Kitten said:

That's what I thought too, I know we had a huge batch 8 years ago. :hmm: But I found out from the Parade magazine story I posted that there are 12 'broods' of them that hit 17 years in different years. :scream: This is Brood x, the biggest and most famous, but there have been other outbreaks in other years too. The 1996 batch was the bigger one for my area, but this one is the biggest for the whole country.

wonderful :crack: i don't spend as much time outside ruding my bike and playing in backyards as i did in 1996 (wow, it was that long ago already?? i guess that makes sense), but i don't want those things. they suck.

they are so money.

cicada_on_wood.jpg

Clearly I need to start taking more pictures. Today I was out cycling, I rode about 30 miles west from where I live they were so loud. I was thinking that next time I ride out that way i should take a recorder.

We have huge pine trees in my yard and neighborhood where they sit. The cicadas are SOOOOO annoying!!! They buzz all day and all night. They drop on you and some are the size of small birds. And then they shed their nasty shell for you to step on.... :barf:

Once again, I am grateful to live in Colorado--the bugless land. Nothing larger here than your average cricket or grasshopper. :up:

We get infestations of miller moths this time of year, but they don't bother me. I catch and release them because I'm a dork. :wink:

And here my parents are freaked about our snake infestation, I should send them this thread.

AvsGirl41 said:
And here my parents are freaked about our snake infestation, I should send them this thread.
oh my god. i love cicadas now. i'll take cicadas in swarms rather than that. :eek: :no:

Schmeg said:

I was just thinking that! :heart: Little House books.

They were my favorite! I like them better than the way they portrayed them on the TV show. It was okay the first few seasons but later on it got awful. I wish they'd stuck to the true story in the books.

What we've got here in the northwest is tent caterpillers, billions of them. They're everwhere, they eat everything, and they'll be back next year, right on time.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

[q]Low-Fat, High-Protein Cicadas: New Health Snack?

John Roach
for National Geographic News
Updated May 18, 2004

High-protein, low-carbohydrate diet fanatics take note: The billions of cicadas emerging from the ground en masse this month are a healthy alternative to that bacon double-cheeseburger without the bun.
"They're high in protein, low in fat, no carbs," said Gene Kritsky, a biologist and cicada expert at the College of Mount St. Joseph in Cincinnati, Ohio. "They're quite nutritious, a good set of vitamins."

The largest group of periodical cicadas, known as Brood X, have been crawling out of the ground and carpeting trees along the eastern United States for the past week or so. By July, Brood X will be gone?not to be heard from again for 17 years.

Cicadas spend most of their lives underground sucking sap from tree roots. The plant-based diet gives them a green, asparagus-like flavor, especially when eaten raw or boiled, according to Kritsky. The researcher has been looking forward to trying a cicada-vegetable medley.

Gross? Not really, says Jenna Jadin, an entomology graduate student at the University of Maryland in College Park who created a brochure in preparation for the Brood X emergence entitled, "Cicada-Licious: Cooking and Enjoying Periodical Cicada."

In her brochure, Jadin notes that crawfish, lobster, crab, and shrimp are part of the same biological phylum?arthropods?as insects. "So popping a big juicy beetle, cricket, or cicada into your mouth is only a step away," Jadin writes.

Jadin said the recipe she most wants to try is chocolate-covered cicada. "I like chocolate, and chocolate covered insects are common worldwide," she said. "We'll see how comparable they are to chocolate-covered crickets."

Eating insects for food is common throughout the world and dates back thousands of years, Kritsky said. For example, in parts of Africa, scarab beetles are considered a delicacy. In the U.S., however, there is a cultural aversion to bugs.

Healthy Eating?

Jadin's brochure begins with a disclaimer from the University of Maryland asking would-be cicada eaters to first consult a doctor because, like all foods, certain individuals may have an allergic reaction.

Despite the warning, Jadin said there is no evidence to suggest that cicadas are unsafe to eat. Her only concern is the cicadas that emerge in areas heavily treated with pesticides and herbicides, as the insects could have absorbed the chemicals in their bodies.

"Given that it's likely people won't be feasting on cicadas, just eating a few of them, even if they have [absorbed] chemicals it's no worse than eating fish from the Great Lakes," Jadin said. "If [people] survived that, they'll probably survive eating a plateful of cicada."

David George Gordon, a science writer in Port Townsend, Washington, whose Eat-A-Bug Cookbook includes a recipe for cicada-topped pizza, said he is unaware of any adverse health impacts of eating cicada. Or as he put it, "Bug appetit."

The only consequence of cicada feasting that Kritsky is aware of is overindulgence, especially on the part of the family dog or favorite backyard squirrel. The animals may be enticed to gobble cicadas so quickly that the bugs could block the animals' throat.

"Just imagine how you would react if inundated with thousands of flying Hershey Kisses," Kritsky said. "You might go nuts. I'd go nuts. That's what happens to dogs or squirrels."

Eaten in moderation, most experts agree that cicadas are a good source of protein (about the same amount pound per pound as red meat) and are full of vitamins and minerals.

Cicada Preparation

So, are you ready to try a cicada? Aspiring gourmands must first begin by collecting the raw ingredients. The insects are best eaten just after the nymphs break open their skin and before their exoskeleton turns black and hard, cicada aficionados say.

These newly hatched cicadas are called tenerals. Jadin said they are best collected in the early morning hours just after the insects emerge from the ground but before they crawl up a tree, where they are harder to reach.

If tenerals are unavailable, the next best menu item is adult females. Their bellies are fat and full of nutritious eggs.

Adult males, however, offer little to eat. More crunch than munch, their abdomens are hollow. (This enables the flirtatious tunes they strum on body structures known as tymbals to resonate.) With raw cicadas in hand, preparation is a matter of chef's choice. Kritsky said, "Most people like them deep fried and dipped in a sauce like a hot mustard or cocktail sauce." Other people boil or blanch them.

Jadin says cicadas take on a "nutty" flavor when roasted. She notes that many cicada recipes call for a lot of spices and sauce, which usually winds up being the dominant flavor.

Now on to the wine: red or white? The bartenders at the Georgetown Ritz-Carlton hotel in Washington, D.C., say neither. This month, patrons can order a "cicada cocktail." It's made from chilled Grey Goose orange vodka, fresh pineapple juice with a touch of Blue Curacao, shaken not stirred, and served straight up in a martini glass. [/q]

:| :|

I haven't seen any around here. There was something on the news about finding a blue eyed one or something and that they are rare...at least I think it was cicadas they were talking about. I remember the last time I experienced alot of them was when I went out to my brother's in MO and they would be all over parking lots and everything.

Back
Top Bottom