15 Aerosmith Greatest Hits albums on the wall, take one down....pass it around.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danospano

Refugee
What is the deal with Aerosmith and their endless parade of Greatest Hits albums? It seems like every year a new one comes out, yet they haven't had a big hit (aside from Jaded) since the mid-1990's. What's the deal?!?!

Here's a list of their Greatest Hits albums:

1980: Greatest Hits
1980: First Decade
1986: Classics Live
1987: Classics Live II
1988: Gems
1991: Pandora's Box
1991: 10 CD Box Set
1994: Big Ones
1994: Box of Fire
1998: A Little South of Sanity
2001: Young Lust: Anthology
2001: Classic Aerosmith: The Universal Masters
2002: The Best of Aerosmith
2002: Ultimate Aerosmith (Greatest Hits 1973-1988)
2002: O Yeah: All Time Greatest Hits (1973-2002)

and people said u2 sold out by releasing one...

oh wait, people say u2 sold out no matter what they do.

and it's all true.

stupid sellouts.

i suppose the reason why there are so many is because of what dano originally said, they haven't had a lot of hits since the early 90's. when they do release an album, it probably doesn't sell that well, aside from the occasional single, so the record company has to cash in somehow, like david said.

also, i would think most greatest hits albums are by choice of the record company, not the artist. even with U2, it was the record company's decision, not U2's.

Last edited:
J-Tree said:
"Jaded" was the pits man.

:yes: it was indeed. it's hard to put my finger on why i don't like that song so much since it sounds stupid and isn't the whole reason, but i know this sounds weird, but it really bugged me that he said "jaded" like in every other word. plus, it sounded like every other aerosmith song since 1993.

It's my opinion that bands should only release one greatest hits album (or one per era, eg '80-'90). Greatest hits, to me, is just saying, "This is all we've done that's worthwhile. Don't expect anything good from us anymore." Now, if the band just broke up, releasing a best of or greatest hits is only natural, and I have no problem with it. If there's something saying, or implying that they aren't done, a greatest hits is fine (like U2's 1980-1990, or Billy Joel's Parts 1 through 3). But nothing pisses me off like a brand new album coming out a year after the band's greatest hits.

I also think that Aerosmith really sucks, and has sucked ever since they stopped using hard drugs. They have some really great old tunes, like Sweet Emotion and Dream on, but they've gone downhill. I mean, Jaded? Falling in Love is Hard on the Knees? And that horrible song from Armageddon? Guh!

i think some of it has to do with that aerosmith still had to release more albums in there contract with geffen when they jumped shit to colombia. so now geffen/interscope has been releasing live albums & greatest hits knowing that geffen/interscope couldnt get them to release new material.

i also think that aerosmith may be at the end of there creative peak. i hope not i am an aerosmith fan and hope that isnt true. lets just hope that there next material will be better than there last studio release and the 2 new songs on the "oh yea, greatest hits".

I want that O Yeah one.. but I can't decide what cover to get.. or where to get the money ;)

Back
Top Bottom