12/8/80-12/8/03-23 yrs without John Lennon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bawling2.gif

What a shock, and tragedy and a waste :( I remember when it happened. I was 11 and in bed, school the next day- but my older sister stayed up to watch Monday Night Football, I think it was Patriots vs. Miami. Then I heard her crying, and she told me about what happened and it was terrible! We were always Beatle fans. We watched the vigils on TV and saved all the 'in memory of' magazines, there must have been over a dozen.

RIP John, you were special and will be remembered forever.

"I?m not afraid of dying. I?m prepared for death because I don?t believe in it. I think it?s just getting out of one car and getting into another." - John Lennon

Perhaps we should all remember that today. Still very very sad, though. He's greatly missed.

I just remembered, my friend found these two quotes of John's from interviews that day and earlier in the week.

"I mean, it wasn't a secret. I didn't try to make it one. I did drugs, and I did them a lot...I did it because they certainly made me feel a lot better than in real life. I can't lie. I was happy. It was the one time I couldn't care less about the world, because I had one all my own. And I used to wonder: why even bother with this world? Wouldn't it be so much easier to leave?"

"What do you think now?"

"The same thing. I'm always wondering. Always thinking the same thing: I'm really in a rut. I wonder if death really is the next great adventure. But I guess I have a while to find out."

-John Lennon, 8 days before he was murdered

and this one:

"How do you feel about the start of a new decade?"
"I'm excited, man. I mean, weren't the 70's a drag? We can make the 80's good...you know, all I can hope for is peace and love and more music. I'm looking forward to watching Sean grow up and everything. I feel good."
John Lennon 4:00 PM December 8,1980

Those are so incredibly haunting, especially the last one. I get the chills when i read those.

again,

R.I.P JOHN LENNON

Those quotes are so freaky, U2girl...makes you wonder...

U2Kitten said:
bawling2.gif

What a shock, and tragedy and a waste :( I remember when it happened. I was 11 and in bed, school the next day- but my older sister stayed up to watch Monday Night Football, I think it was Patriots vs. Miami. Then I heard her crying, and she told me about what happened and it was terrible! We were always Beatle fans. We watched the vigils on TV and saved all the 'in memory of' magazines, there must have been over a dozen.

Wow. So was there a lot of talk about it at school the next day?

And you're right, it was the Patriots and the Dolphins-my mom remembers that 'cause she had that game on, 'cause the Dolphins are her favorite team (eerie, those two teams played each other yesterday, too...).

My parents have told this story to me before-my mom had dozed off for a few minutes, and then the news came, and my dad woke her up and told her what had happened.

It all happened long before I was born. I do remember, though, in 10th grade, when my school choir had taken our trip to New York City, passing by the Dakota apartment building where John and Yoko had lived. And as we were walking through Central Park, I remembered thinking about how John and Yoko used to walk the same paths I was walking at one time. It was kinda spooky.

I was hoping to look for the "Imagine" thingy that Headache had posted here, but that park was way too big and we did not get to doing it 'cause we didn't have a lot of time.

Originally posted by U2Kitten
RIP John, you were special and will be remembered forever.

Ditto.

I just don't understand. How can someone who was such a peaceful person, such a nice person, die such a horrible death? :tsk:.

Angela

:sad: It completely slipped my mind that today was the anniversary until this afternoon when the DJ on the radio station I was listening to mentioned it. RIP John.

I remember the day he was killed. amazing that it was 23 years ago. :tsk:

I heard "Woman" on the radio today and almost started to cry. I have always loved that song and I did not realize how pretty it was until today.

RIP John Lennon

Back
Top Bottom