101 things you didn't know about rock'n'roll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no mods check this forum either so this should be here for a while

Hi there. I really wanted to post an article that was entertaining and informative (or kinda), so I decided to do the "101 Things You Didn't Know About Rock N' Roll" (I know you probably know quite a few and that they ain't all about rock but...its a catchy title!). I tried to research as much as I could, but maybe there are some things that aren't (totally) true, so corrections would be greatly apreciated. Also bear in mind that I'm from Argentina (if you are bored, look in a map...I live in the most southern part of the continet...pretty much the World's Ass), and I'm 16 so they might be a few mistakes or weird expressions. I know it's long, but I prefered to do it all in one go. If you think it's too long and you'll get bored, don't read it or post things like "kinda long article...", please.

shhhh. hear that? that's the sound of this article's credibility going out the window.

16. Def Leppard's drummer, Rick Allen, lost an arm in a car crash in the mid-eighties. However, Rick decided to keep on playing, and learned to do it with his feet and some programmed drum lines. The band continued as normal, and their next album with their "new" drummer was "Pyromania".

I think Hysteria is the album on which he made his one armed debut, no?

let's try to break all the rules in the FAQs...

Why are threads closed?
There are many reasons why a thread is closed. The most common reason is that the thread has evolved into heavy bickering, name calling or other childish behaviour. Personally attacking other members of the forum is unacceptable and may result in an individual warning to the members in question, which may ultimately lead to bannishment from the forum.

neener neeener neeeener, hewson is a weiner

If the thread has racial slurs or other derogatory comments it is subject to closing.

stupid eskimos

If there are other threads already on the same topic, it may be merged or closed .. depending on the situation.

ehhh... how bout them 101 rock and roll things... ain't that somethin?

If the thread has over 500 replies, it may be closed due to server issues. Large threads are taxing to the database. Each time a large thread is opened/accessed or viewed it can put a strain the server.

ok not gonna try this one

If the thread is exhausted, or repeating the same arguments over and over and seeming to have reached its limit, it may be closed.

the yankees and peyton manning blow... go sawks

If the thread is posted in an 'instigating' or 'flaming' manner it may be closed.

hehe... he said flaming

If you see a thread that you feel is unacceptable or out of control you can use the "Report this post to moderator" link in the bottom right hand corner of each person's post. If multiple members of the forum suggest to a moderator or adminstrator (in private) that they feel the thread should be closed, it may be discussed among the moderators and ultimately closed.

nah

If a moderator or administrator addressess a thread such as these with warnings to refrain from continuing in a harsh or unacceptable mannor, and the warnings are not acknowledged, it is their job to close the thread.

tick tock tick tock

Please do not start new threads asking why a thread was closed. PM or email the moderator who closed the thread.

waiting... waiting...

I'm only halfway through the list, but I already knew most of these.

Some of them are just dumb ("Stairway To Heaven" backwards), some of them sort of miss the point (he really couldn't think of anything more important to say about Highway 61?), some of them so well known that they betray the title of the article (Clapton does the solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"), some of them are a bit wrong (Dark Side of the Moon synchs perfectly with The Wizard of Oz), some of them are totally wrong (aren't the glyphs on Ghost In the Machine supposed to be the band members in profile?); interesting list overall, though. I love the mythology of rock and roll.

Last edited:
inmyplace13 said:
I don't get the shit about the crossroads

In southern black communities it was a well-known notion that one could go to the crossroads and sell one's soul to the devil. The concept dates back to African Folklore.

And so there were always rumors that Robert Johnson had done just that, from lyrics to his song crossroads " I went down to the crossroads, fell down on my knee's, I asked the lord above, save poor bob please" and I believe to my soul now,
Poor Bob is sinkin down". Its just a story to explain why all the greats die at 27.

Back
Top Bottom