100 years ago today... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-18-2006, 09:23 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: gone
Posts: 17,891
Local Time: 12:05 PM
100 years ago today...

Was the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. It devastated the city, yet it was rebuilt in the same location.

Is anyone from San Francisco afraid of this happening again?

Theres a 62% chance of the Hayward fault going in the next 25 years...

The History Channel paints a pretty bleak picture. The cost to rebuild would be over 300 billion dollars.

Kinda scary stuff.

Though the New Madrid fault in the midwest may be an even bigger concern. If that goes Memphis will be no longer, and St. Louis will be pretty devestated.

I don't know where I'm going with any of this, just something to think about I guess. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.
__________________

__________________
Chizip is offline  
Old 04-18-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 10:05 AM
according to the AOL News page:

One hundred years ago, a 7.8-magnitude earthquake nearly destroyed San Francisco. Could it happen again? "San Francisco fell, and it will fall again," one expert says. The Bay Area has made progess in protecting itself, but if such a quake hit there today, a new study says we could expect:

· 1,800 to 3,400 deaths
· More than 90,000 buildings damaged
· As many as 250,000 households displaced
· $150 billion in damage
__________________

__________________
Lila64 is offline  
Old 04-18-2006, 09:35 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 12:05 PM
A good reminder that we're in the midst of history, rather than the end of it.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 04-18-2006, 09:55 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 09:05 AM
I wonder if the damage estimates covers only structures, or if it includes the high priced land in the area.

Consider it - one of the most expensive places to live in the US is San Francisco.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 04-18-2006, 10:13 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
 
the rockin edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: tomorrow's just an excuse away
Posts: 26,816
Local Time: 11:05 AM
Re: 100 years ago today...

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip


Though the New Madrid fault in the midwest may be an even bigger concern. If that goes Memphis will be no longer, and St. Louis will be pretty devestated.

yep, i like telling people about that one.


not sure why
__________________
the rockin edge is offline  
Old 04-18-2006, 10:43 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Girl1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: At the altar of the dark star
Posts: 19,374
Local Time: 01:05 PM
Re: Re: 100 years ago today...

Quote:
Originally posted by the rockin edge



yep, i like telling people about that one.


not sure why
Because you're evil.
__________________
U2Girl1978 is offline  
Old 04-18-2006, 10:48 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
the rockin edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: tomorrow's just an excuse away
Posts: 26,816
Local Time: 11:05 AM
Re: Re: Re: 100 years ago today...

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl1978


Because you're evil.
yeah, i'd say that about sums it up
__________________
the rockin edge is offline  
Old 04-18-2006, 11:35 PM   #8
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator
 
Sicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 69,297
Local Time: 09:05 AM
Well I live near SF (about 35 mi south) and the '89 earthquake was horrible, I cant imagine going through that again. Little ones are kinda fun but when buildings fall down and people die its definately a scary thing to think about happening again.
__________________
Sicy is offline  
Old 04-19-2006, 12:21 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
WildHoneyAlways's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: In a glass case of emotion
Posts: 8,158
Local Time: 11:05 AM
The History Channel has a good special on this. Lots of pictures and such.
__________________
WildHoneyAlways is offline  
Old 04-19-2006, 12:22 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Got Philk?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Arizona, Tacoma, Philadelphia ,Atlanta, LA...
Posts: 6,875
Local Time: 01:05 PM
Kind of scary. Would that affect Sacramento? That's where my sister lives...
__________________
Got Philk? is offline  
Old 04-19-2006, 12:33 AM   #11
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator
 
Sicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 69,297
Local Time: 09:05 AM
Sac is like 2 hours away.. dont think it would be affected.
__________________
Sicy is offline  
Old 04-19-2006, 01:16 AM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 10:05 AM
I've lived thru many an earthquake, but I'm in S.Calif. The first big one I remember was in '71 - I was like 6 years old. Told my big sister to stop shaking the room (we had been asleep when it hit early in the morning). Of course I look around and my sister was long gone & curled up in my parents bed! And of course the '94 quake - I was pregnant at the time, and that big one (the 'Northridge quake') hit in the middle of the night
__________________
Lila64 is offline  
Old 04-19-2006, 01:33 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
discothequeLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,093
Local Time: 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
I've lived thru many an earthquake, but I'm in S.Calif. The first big one I remember was in '71 - I was like 6 years old. Told my big sister to stop shaking the room (we had been asleep when it hit early in the morning). Of course I look around and my sister was long gone & curled up in my parents bed! And of course the '94 quake - I was pregnant at the time, and that big one (the 'Northridge quake') hit in the middle of the night

i remember the northridge one (i think i was six at the time) and it scared the shit outta me. i remember running down the long hall to my parents' bedroom and banging into it left and right (i think ) . a bunch of my relatives lost power so they stayed at our place for a few days . we ate a lot of ice cream .





it was also the first time i saw edward scissorhands
__________________
discothequeLP is offline  
Old 04-19-2006, 02:06 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
ILuvLarryMullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: in the sunshine
Posts: 6,904
Local Time: 09:05 AM
I remember the northridge quake, it woke me up even though I was about 100 miles away. I remember seeing the San Fran quake on tv and the collapsed freeways even though I was only 7. Pretty much anywhere you can go there is some sort of natural disaster that can get you so worrying about it is kind of futile.
__________________
ILuvLarryMullen is offline  
Old 04-19-2006, 02:49 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
 
DreamOutLoud13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hell For Certain, Kentucky
Posts: 15,088
Local Time: 11:05 AM
Re: 100 years ago today...

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
Though the New Madrid fault in the midwest may be an even bigger concern. If that goes Memphis will be no longer, and St. Louis will be pretty devestated.
Wow, someone's actually heard of it! Usually people don't believe me when I say we have earthquakes here, because I'm not on the west coast. In fact, more earthquakes occur along the New Madrid fault than along the San Andreas fault, ours our just signifigantly smaller. According to the seismologists, the smaller quakes take the pressure off of the faultline, and prevent larger ones from occuring.
But now they're saying we have a 90% chance of a 6.0 earthquake in the next 35 years, and a 7-10% chance of an 8.0 in the next 50 years. If such a quake occured, we'd all be screwed. Can you picture the St. Louis Arch tumbling into the Mississippi river? It's a scary thought.
One interesting thing to note, is that because the New Madrid fault is a different kind of fault than the San Andreas, the earthquakes produced generally cause more damage for their size than those in California, and are felt at a much larger range.

Example:

Red indicates minor to major damage to buildings and their contents. Yellow indicates shaking felt, but little or no damage to objects, such as dishes.
(I like to scare people with that map)

I dunno, I'm fairly calm about my potential fate. Either the world will end in 2012, or I'll die in an earthquake by the time I'm 55. But hey, at least our big earthquakes make churchbells in Boston ring, that's pretty cool
__________________

__________________
DreamOutLoud13 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com