100 years ago today... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2006, 03:54 AM   #16
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 06:12 AM
I lived in the East Bay during the '89 SF Quake. It was horrible. My then husband (Ex) was in nosebleed seats at Candlestick Park when the quake hit and has pics of the big cracks in the stadium structure. Our neighbors pool sloshed water flooding our yard, but it didn't get into the house. I was backing up my car with my son in his carseat when the quake hit and I thought I'd hit or another car had slammed into me, I swear the car was jumping on the pavement! I remember racing home and being without power, sitting with neighbors in the street making sandwiches, pacing, waiting to hear from my Ex, I think he got home about midnight--he had to take the long way around the Bay home since the Bridge and freeways had been damaged so it took forever once Candlestick was evacuated. That was scary. At that time we lived directly between the San Andreas and the Hayward faults too. If one fault acted up our house seemed to move one way, and it moved another direction if the other fault was affected. Bizarre. Now I am 6 blocks from the beach and often wonder about really high tides and waves or tsunami.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:09 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Carek1230
Now I am 6 blocks from the beach and often wonder about really high tides and waves or tsunami.
i think those are generally caused by faults that are off shore. In humbolt county they have an off shore fault and they have sirens there that are like tornado sirens, but they warn of tsunamis. I know this because I have friends that go to school there, they had a warning once while she was on the beach

Old 04-19-2006, 12:43 PM   #18
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
I've lived thru many an earthquake, but I'm in S.Calif. The first big one I remember was in '71 - I was like 6 years old. Told my big sister to stop shaking the room (we had been asleep when it hit early in the morning). Of course I look around and my sister was long gone & curled up in my parents bed! And of course the '94 quake - I was pregnant at the time, and that big one (the 'Northridge quake') hit in the middle of the night

I was 4 during the 71 quake and I remember waking up to all the lights coming on and my Dad running around in a towel grabbing my 2 year old sister and trying to get me out of bed and into a doorway.

I was alone with my own babies during the 87 Whittier quake and it was terrifying. I was in bed with my back against my bedroom wall and I could hear and feel the rumble before the shaking started. I just grabbed a baby under each arm and ran for the front door.

The Big Bear/Landers quakes in the early 90's were pretty scary but nothing like Northridge. I don't think I've ever been so scared in my entire life. I know another one of that magnitude or bigger is bound to happen in my lifetime but I prefer not to thing about it
Old 04-19-2006, 01:15 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

The Big Bear/Landers quakes in the early 90's were pretty scary but nothing like Northridge. I don't think I've ever been so scared in my entire life. I know another one of that magnitude or bigger is bound to happen in my lifetime but I prefer not to thing about it
Evertime I'm under or on an overpass I remember the Northridge quake. In traffic I'll allow a gap rather than sit under the overpass

I hope all that retro fitting was effective.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:49 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:12 AM
for some reason everytime i see this thread i finish the title with "Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play".

Old 04-19-2006, 03:53 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2SavesTheWorld
for some reason everytime i see this thread i finish the title with "Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play".

I did that too!
Old 04-19-2006, 04:51 PM   #22
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:12 PM
I'm more worried about Iran right now sorry.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:02 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:12 PM
Re: 100 years ago today...

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
Though the New Madrid fault in the midwest may be an even bigger concern. If that goes Memphis will be no longer, and St. Louis will be pretty devestated.
If New Madrid acts up Birmingham will be pretty hard hit, although not completely destroyed. This thing scares the hell out of me. I think my brother is completely insane to like living in Birmingham. I can't move due to the fact that I can't leave my therapist, but if that weren't the case I'd be out of here and in Atlanta in a week.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:41 PM   #24
New Yorker

Quote:

Nice one.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by gherman

Nice one.
are you fucking kidding me?

what is your problem?
Old 04-20-2006, 11:46 AM   #26
Neon Zebra

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
The Big Bear/Landers quakes in the early 90's were pretty scary
it's so funny, when landers hit i lived in southern california but i was visiting the area where i live now. i was on the sixteenth floor of one of our hotels and i was scared to death. i was still married at the time and i remember making my husband walk down sixteen flights of stairs to get me outside. where i was going i have no idea. i also made him go back up and pack our stuff so we could go home. pretty clever of me, right? let's go BACK to southern california, honey!

some people were wandering around outside in their jammies and some were still gambling! i remember an aftershock hit as we were driving and i completely freaked out again.

needless to say, i do NOT miss earthquakes! it was all i could think about when i was in that enormous underground parking structure at the getty last week. i was freaking out a bit down there, too. are you people crazy building something like that in that area!?
Old 04-20-2006, 05:39 PM   #27
New Yorker

Quote:

are you fucking kidding me?

what is your problem?
You
Old 04-20-2006, 05:48 PM   #28
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Ok both of you need to let it go, now.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:52 PM   #29
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

it's so funny, when landers hit i lived in southern california but i was visiting the area where i live now. i was on the sixteenth floor of one of our hotels and i was scared to death. i was still married at the time and i remember making my husband walk down sixteen flights of stairs to get me outside. where i was going i have no idea. i also made him go back up and pack our stuff so we could go home. pretty clever of me, right? let's go BACK to southern california, honey!

some people were wandering around outside in their jammies and some were still gambling! i remember an aftershock hit as we were driving and i completely freaked out again.

needless to say, i do NOT miss earthquakes! it was all i could think about when i was in that enormous underground parking structure at the getty last week. i was freaking out a bit down there, too. are you people crazy building something like that in that area!?

I've never been in a high rise or multi-story hotel during an earthquake and I don't think I ever want to!

During the first Lander's quake, we were tent camping at San Onofre, right by the nuclear reactor. Our tent was near the cliffs and I was positive we were all going to fall into the ocean just as the reactors cracked open When the aftershock hit, we were eating breakfast on the tailgate of our truck and I think everyone in the entire campground packed up and went home at the same time!
Old 04-20-2006, 06:28 PM   #30
New Yorker

Sorry Sicy I'll stop