100 Greatest Riffs Ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bammo2

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!
from http://www.ntlworld.com

The Guns N' Roses rock anthem Sweet Child O' Mine has the greatest guitar riff of all time according to a poll of music fans.

The famous track came top of a poll of 100 Greatest Riffs Ever voted for by readers of Total Guitar magazine. Hits by Jimi Hendrix, Ozzy Osbourne and Nirvana all make it in the top 20.

But tracks by the Rolling Stones and the Sex Pistols fail to make it into the 20 favourites.

Grunge rockers Nirvana once made Guns N' Roses look outdated, but their track Smells Like Teen Spirit is now in second place.

Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love was third followed by the Deep Purple track Smoke On The Water.

Guns N' Roses have recently seen a revival that led to their Greatest Hits album topping the album charts.

Total Guitar editor Scott Rowley said the poll represented a new canon of classic rock.

He said: "What this poll shows is that the so-called canon of classic rock - the Led Zeppelins, Eric Claptons, Jimi Hendrix - is as popular as ever, but being added to all the time.

"To a new generation of guitarists, Metallica are more important than the Rolling Stones, Guns N' Roses more thrilling than the Sex Pistols, Black Sabbath better than the Beatles."

He added: "Riffs are an interesting measure of people's tastes because they're usually easy to play and very catchy - they're the hook of the song."

Here are the top 20 riffs:

1. Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses

2. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

3. Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin

4. Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple

5. Enter Sandman - Metallica

6. Layla - Derek & The Dominoes/Eric Clapton

7. Master Of Puppets - Metallica

8. Back In Black - AC/DC

9. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - Jimi Hendrix

10. Paranoid - Black Sabbath

11. Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne

12. All Right Now - Free

13. Plug In Baby - Muse

14. Black Dog - Led Zeppelin

15. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love - Van Halen

16. Walk This Way - Aerosmith with Run DMC

17. Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream

18. No-One Knows - Queens Of The Stone Age

19. Paradise City - Guns N' Roses

20. Killing In The Name - Rage Against The Machine

The magazine doesn't come out until May 5th, but I'll be interested to see the full list :up:

What does everyone thinnk of this 'top 20'?

even deaf unborn babies can hear that "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC has the best riff ever

having Nirvana at #2 alone is reason to at least ponder whether this poll is laughable

Sunday Bloody Sunday is left off :angry:

that's my only complaint...

there's a lot of songs I've never heard off :reject:

no, wait... another complaint...

Nirvana N?2???... what the hell :mad: ...

I can't understand how all this people suck up to Kurt so bad... like if he's gonna come from the underworld to torture them... :madspit:

F*CK YOU, Nirvana ass-kissers :angry:

Last edited:
If any AC/DC riff is to be on there, it would be Thunderstruck...

Sunday Bloody Sunday isn't on there because it too closely resembles the Steve Stephens riff on Billy Idol's White Wedding.

It's a shame that a lot of those riffs at the top are heartbreakingly similar.

And heartbreaker should have been there too, yes.

No DayTripper... no Satisfaction?

:down:

Last edited:
Keef is the riffmaster...where's Satisfaction, Start Me Up, Honkey Tonk Women, Brown Sugar??

And why the F is #16 "Aerosmith with Run DMC"?? What did Run DMC have to do with the riff?
Who voted in this poll?

Hewson said:
What did Run DMC have to do with the riff?
Even better, what did Clapton have to do with the "Layla" riff? Duane Allman fucking came up with it and played it on the album.

Yeah I agree Thunderstruck should have been there and Nirvana?!?!?! #2?????????? Hell no! They are way overrated! I was talking about that to my fiance last night when they said that the best song in the passed 25 yrs is Smells like Teen Spirit. I don't think so

before I even red Salome's response, I thought to myself, "Highway to Hell has a far better riff than Back in Black. FAAAAR Better."

:crack:

I want my highwaytohell!

This is a BIG JOKE- Pistols and Daffodils at no 1- what a joke!!!

Sure it is a good riff, but there are soooooooo many more that are better, namely satisfction to begin with and Kurt's power chords for SLTS are bland when compared with other great riffs (I mean, even I can play SLTS!!)

To not have the Rolling Stones in the top ten is an insult- arghhhhhhhh, I just noticed bloody Paradise City in there, come on, I wouldnt take this seriously at all:huh:

:drool:Motorcycle Emptiness- that is a great riff, in fact MSP have heaps of great riffs in their songs and I would vote that Jane's Addiction's 'Three Days' has one of the best riffs ever in it, for a song of modern times:drool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom