10 Years On, Alanis Unplugs 'Little Pill'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
[q]10 Years On, Alanis Unplugs 'Little Pill'

Fri Mar 4,10:20 AM ET

By Melinda Newman

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - As she neared the 10th anniversary of her landmark album "Jagged Little Pill," Alanis Morissette (news) began pondering how to commemorate the occasion.

She ultimately decided to do it all again. Together with the album's producer/co-writer, Glen Ballard, she is in the middle of recording an acoustic version of the career-defining set.

"It just sounded much more appealing than creating my own awards show," Morissette, 30, said with a laugh. "There's no better way to honor things than through music."

The as-yet-untitled album will come out on June 13 -- exactly 10 years to the day after the original release. It will initially be sold only at Starbucks' 4,500 North American outlets for a six-week exclusive period, after which it will hit traditional retail outlets on July 26.

The collection, which will feature the songs in their original order, will include previously unreleased video footage from that era plus different artwork.

In the decade since its release, "Jagged Little Pill" has sold 30 million copies across the globe, according to her label, Warner Music Group's Maverick Records. In the United States, it has sold 14.4 million units, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

The album is the best-selling debut by a female artist and the 14th best-selling album ever in the United States, according to the Recording Industry Association of America (news - web sites). It also yielded four Grammys (news - web sites), including album of the year.

The album featured a number of hits, many of which are still in recurrent rotation on adult top 40 stations, including "You Oughta Know," "Hand in My Pocket," "You Learn," "Head Over Feet" and "Ironic."

But perhaps the biggest "irony" is that Morissette barely remembers the 18 months surrounding the project's peak period. "When the album came out, I feel like I immediately went into survival mode to keep the 'overwhelm' that comes from being famous at bay," she said. "Ten years later, I have the luxury of time and distance to formally honor it."

In fact, that era is so dazzling for Morissette, reality was unrecognizable. "The one vivid memory is of being in the van touring around America and I remember almost willing myself to get back to sleep, to get back to reality. Waking life was a little too overwhelming."

Morissette estimates that she's acoustically worked up 75% of the songs from "Jagged Little Pill" over the years in concert, but she still looks forward to what she can bring to them now.

"My voice has changed over the last 10 years in a way that I'm just loving," she said. "I have access to notes that I never had access to. Even if we were to do the songs arranged the same way as the original, the way I approach them emotionally is different and I bring 10 years of life experience to them."

Ballard stresses that the songs will definitely be recognizable, "they'll just express their DNA slightly differently." He added, "We're limiting our palate to more acoustic instruments, but there's a great wealth of instruments to try. I have a hurdy gurdy in there. It's fun to explore. My goal is, we make an album that's interesting so that even if someone had never heard the original, they'd still dig it."

Morissette will also tour acoustically behind the album, playing theaters in June and July. "We'll play the album from start to finish," she said, "although we'll probably play around some with the order. We'll also throw in some other songs from the last 10 years." But Morissette adds she is in no way saying goodbye to these songs: "I'll be playing them until I'm dead."

The acoustic project will be followed by a greatest-hits set with at least one new song due by Christmas.

Morissette, who inked a new deal with Maverick in 2001, says she's ready to start a new project. "I have four journals-full at this point and I usually start a new album after two journals-full," she said. "So I'm very pregnant with songs."

Reuters/Billboard

[/q]

Her MTV Unplugged CD was amazing, so I'll keep my eyes open for this. The Unplugged one is actually the only Alanis CD I even have.

Starbucks only for 6 weeks? What the crap? :rolleyes:

One thing that the article has wrong is that it wasnt the debut album for her. Shed like to pretend it was but it wasnt. She was just a pop type up here in Canada a few short years before that album came out.

Yeah it seems kind of cheesy to do something like that to commemorate the ten year anniversary of an album you've never really been able to top.

Move on and be progressive.

Yahweh said:
One thing that the article has wrong is that it wasnt the debut album for her. Shed like to pretend it was but it wasnt. She was just a pop type up here in Canada a few short years before that album came out.

:lol:

too hot to hold

you can't do that on television

Yahweh said:

Yes, she had two pop albums, "Alanis" (1991) and "Now Is The Time" (1992). They're out of print for a reason. :sexywink:

Melon

Starbucks is getting big into music now, the company is putting a lot of focus behind its Hear wing. I don't think this is any different from U2 selling "7" only through Target. A certain demographic shops at Starbucks and musicians want to reach that demographic so they're going to work with that company.

I'm excited about this, it interests me how artists relate to their own works, especially for ones that were so personal.

I don't like her music, but I think it's a pretty cool idea.

Don't you get it? It's for the fans, she's not trying to make money for God's sake. If she wanted to make money it would be a huge commercial release. She's doing it for the fun of doing it, and if you want to buy it, buy it, it's not easy to get.

Again, I don't like her music, but there are a few on this thread who just don't get what making music is all about.

I love alanis morissette. I dont think shes doing it to make money like U2DMfan I think shes doing it just for the fun. She loves music and doing gigs!! Ive seen her a few times in he UK and in the past 4 years shes done very small gigs (only 150ppl - tickets only a tenner) and she could have sold out bigger venues. She just really likes doing more intimate gigs.

Im seeing her at Brixton next month, which will actually be the biggest venue Ive seen her in - so it should be a good show. :up:

Back
Top Bottom