10 Best Concert Experiences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazarus

Blue Crack Supplier
1. Prince, Las Vegas/2000/Studio 54 (afterparty)
took the stage at 2:00am, left at 4:30am. Never danced and sweated so much in my entire life. played two "singles", the rest were jams, covers, rarities, etc. Sheila E. and Larry Graham from the Family Stone were both onstage.

2. U2, Chicago/1992/World Music Theatre
I just remember jumping up and down and screaming like a little girl watching The Beatles in the early 60's. It was my first time.

3. Ministry, Chicago/1989/Riviera Theatre
There was a steel fence in front of the entire stage. A reviewer the next day said he wasn't sure if it was to keep the fans away from the band or vice versa. Guests included the entire Revolting Cocks crew, Jello Biafra and Ogre from Skinny Puppy. Total insanity. Released as the life album "In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up".

4. Poi Dog Pondering, Chicago/1993/Vic Theatre (2 nights)
A bit of a hippy experience but it was such a great lovefest of positive music. They had me when they covered New Order and The Replacements in the same set.

5. The Replacements, Chicago/1991/Grant Park
The band's final show ever. They traded instruments for the encore and eventually handed them off to the roadies, who kept playing. The last remaining band member realized he was the only one left, threw down his guitar, and walked off.

6. Afghan Whigs, Boston/1996/Paradise
Frontman Greg Dulli enters a la Bill Hicks with black trenchcoat, hat, cigarette, and glass of whiskey. They would seque from a cover to the song it inspired on numerous occasions. The highlight was an encore cover of Prince's "I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man"

7. (tie) Pavement, Albuquerque/1995/Launch Pad
Touring for my favorite P album. I was right up against the stage, as always, in front of Malkmus. He launched into a solo at the beginning of the first song. Talked to them at the local 24-hour restaurant after the show, where they were eating Green Chile Stew.

Pavement, Boston/1997/The Roxy
Biggest venue I saw them at. Covered Echo & The Bunnymen's Killing Moon and blew me away. Talked with the drummer before they played, told me I was the first person to buy their newly designed t-shirt. Personally handed me drumstick and setlist at the end of the show.

8. Morrissey, Chicago/1993/Poplar Creek
Second row seats. There was a never-ending line of worshippers who kept coming on stage to hug him, leave flowers, poetry, whatever. He threw his velour sweater into the audience where it was ripped into a thousand pieces (I had a chunk of the sleeve). At the end the drummer threw the fucking BASS DRUM into the crowd. Rock and roll.

9. Sleater-Kinney, Los Angeles/2002/Henry Fonda Theatre
Plain and simple, they just blew me away. One of those shows where the music just lifts you out of your body.

10. Bob Dylan, Los Angeles/2002/Wilern Theatre
General admission, main floor. We were 15 feet away from GOD.

Last edited:
2. Seeing Ronnie Lane in a small club in North Hollywood a few years before he died. He was very ill with MS, but still put on a helluva show. Ian McLagen played keyboards. For some reason I got "backstage" to his trailer and was able to tell him how much it meant to me that he did April Fool that night.

not in any order, but this is one of those threads where i think most people just post without reading everyone else's posts, so it doesn't really matter.

barenaked ladies, 1999, in hartford, CT. my first show. i mean, i saw various people as a kid, my parents took us to see the clancy brothers which i don't remember, stuff like that. but bnl was the first show i said hey, i want to see this band. it was a good show, and i could easily put any of the times i've seen them on this list.

dropkick murphys - i could list pretty much any show i've seen (even the time i puked on stage during skinhead on the mbta), but i'll say the umass spring concert last year. i stupidly thought dkm would go on early, nas and the other rapper would be after them. dkm played last, and i suffered through "yo when i say real, you say tall!!" and all kinds of bullshit before getting to see dkm. good thing it was a free show. dkm's set was good, but the crowd seemed really lame. they were still doing this thing where they picked a fan to sing "barroom hero," and ken casey (bassist) picked some guy who didn't know the words. after that guy screwed up, al barr (singer), who had been motioning to try to get ken to pick me, came down to the barricade and held out the mic to let me finish the song.

bruce springsteen, last may, boston, MA. i've never seen him with the e street band, and maybe phanan or hewson or someone else here who was at that show will come along and say it doesn't even rank on their list. i thought it was a pretty awesome show.

murphy's law, may 2003, northampton, MA. they played to about 30 people, and i got temporarily thrown out of the show (allowed back in a couple minutes later, kind of a stupid story), but it was awesome.

street dogs with brain failure and some shitty bands that aren't worthy of being mentioned. providence, RI, last october. it was just a really, really good show.

nine inch nails, last week, mullins center, umass amherst. i didn't expect them to be that good live. i was a huge fan around the time the fragile came out, bought a ticket to this show for nostalgia purposes, but i was really blown away, went out and finally bought with teeth (plus replacement copies of the fragile, downward spiral, and pretty hate machine) the next day. i listened to almost nothing but nin all this past week. last.fm is going to look fucking hilarious when the weekly chart shows up.

ducky boys, several other bands, cambridge, MA. uh...februrary 2005. yeah. it was just a cool show.

andrew wk. warped tour 2003. very few people seem like they're having that much fun on stage.

bad religion, 2003, somewhere in worcester, MA (palladium, i think). first time i saw them. i was just really impressed.

the bruisers reunion show. my age, combined with how old i was when my mom let me go to shows, combined with where i lived when they were still a band prevented me from ever seeing them. the ducky boys, tommy & the terrors, and the casualties opened the show. the casualties sucked (as they sucked when they opened that bad religion show), but the other bands were good. and it was the bruisers. i had to go. it was on a wednesday, and i skipped classes, spent a ridiculous amount of money staying overnight in a hotel and on bus fare (well,$200 to see a show is a lot for me. i know it's a drop in the bucket for the folks here who flew to other countries to see u2), but it was totally worth it.

Tricky live at the Arena, Vienna (1998? when drugs still kicked)
Tricky at the Sofiensaele, Vienna (the place burned down after the gig)

James Brown. the best AllAmerican Show I ever saw, one of the best bands

George Clinton, behind the mixer with a couple of techs and the bass guy

Buena Vista Social Club, one time a whole night (when most of them were still alive, Ruben Gonzales, Compay Segundo), twice at festivals- this was just brilliant.

Mutabaruka

The Wailers

Bowie twice, one time at the Arena, small place.. he started off solo with an acoustic guitar "for all you bootleggers"

U2 (into the heart n all, Popmart was ok too)

well and a couple of other concerts I can´t list em all.. later maybe

lazarus said:
1. Prince, Las Vegas/2000/Studio 54 (afterparty)
took the stage at 2:00am, left at 4:30am. Never danced and sweated so much in my entire life. played two "singles", the rest were jams, covers, rarities, etc. Sheila E. and Larry Graham from the Family Stone were both onstage.

cringe. I always wanted to see Prince, but that holy motherfucker never comes to town.

IWasBored said:

bruce springsteen, last may, boston, MA. i've never seen him with the e street band, and maybe phanan or hewson or someone else here who was at that show will come along and say it doesn't even rank on their list. i thought it was a pretty awesome show.

It was a pretty awesome show. Bruce is great live solo and with the band.
I do prefer the full E Street Band experience, but the Orpheum show was great.

IWasBored said:

The show was awesome. I saw him again at the Fleet Center this past fall, and the Orpheum show was much better.

I also prefer him with E Street, and the show I saw at Fenway Park probably tops my list.

I don't think I can even think of ten, I don't go to enough concerts. I can't remember dates

First time I ever saw U2, JT tour

U2 on Larry's birthday, Elevation Tour

ZOO TV tour, Providence

First time I ever saw Bruce and the E Street band, Boston Garden

Bruce and E Street Band at Fenway Park

Bruce on D&Dust tour, Orpheum

Sarah McLachlan on her latest tour

Elvis Costello and Emmylou Harris on his latest tour

Tori Amos on her latest tour

Yo Yo Ma at the symphony, it was beautiful

Norah Jones , I couldn't believe that her voice sounded even better in person than it does on CD. It was at a waterfront venue on a beautiful summer night.

IWasBored said:
okay, i was wrong :D
You could change your screen name from "bored" to "wrong" :D

As for compiling my own top 10 list, it'd take some real brainstorming. We're talking 25+ years of concert going and hundreds and hundreds of shows to try an narrow to 10. I'll give it a shot when I have a bit of time.

Ok, this is a tough one...

In no particular order (ok, #1 is going to be at the bottom, for obvious reasons :wink: )

10. Weezer, July 2002 Columbus, OH - One hell of a fun show, period.

9. JSBX, December 1998, Pontiac, MI - Raw, wild energy.

8. Damien Rice, 2003 - A small club, very intimate, gorgeous music

7. Oasis/The Black Crowes, 2001 - Just fun, period. Good rock and roll and good times.

6. Foo Fighters, 2003 - Had a lot, and I mean a LOT, of pent up stress going into this show, and they allowed me to get every last bit of it out. Amazing show...

5. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, 2003, Comerica Park - We were on the field for this show and even though I didn't have as good a spot as I did for my first Bruce experience, the crowd was amazing, the setlist was to die for (they did Dancing Barefoot, for one... :combust: ) and it was the perfect evening.

4. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, 2002 - Waiting all day in the hot August sun on the side of a highway (thank you, Palace! :happy: ) was more than worth it when Kristina and I snagged the front row. Seeing Bruce sweat and swing on a mic stand and having Little Steven grin at you and give you the thumbs up :wink: was worth every second. Also, yelling out to Dallas (who was LS's tech for this tour) and having him call us back before we left to give us the setlist and some picks was pretty damn awesome, too!

3. U2, Zoo Tv, Outside Broadcast, 1992 - First time ever seeing U2. It was Zoo Tv and I was 14... I was going insane.

2. U2, Vertigo in NYC, 10/8/05 - I was in the ellipse for the second time (of five) and was in front of Adam the entire night. I have a huge love affair with NYC, so seeing my favorite band in my favorite city in the front row was heaven.

1. U2, Elevation Tour, Chicago 2001 - It was my 3rd time seeing them and my first ever time in the heart. We got second row and it blew me away, being so close to the band I've loved since I was little. It was special to me being a post-9/11 show, and also because at the very end of the show Larry sat down on the edge of the stage and handed Lady Lemon and I his drumsticks. I'll never forget that show, as long as I live.
I'll probably look at this later and want to edit, but that's what comes to mind now.

1.bob dylan(shaumberg IL 2005)-10 ft away, enough said
2.bruce springsteen(milwaukee 2005)-great performance, solid setlist, and I was prepared to see the acoustic set
3.the who(2002 Tinley park chicago) first ever concert, favorite band at the time
4.U2(2005 chicago 4)-great show, surprise setlist
5.rolling stones(chicago 2003)-good seats, great setlist
6.bruce springsteen(chicago 2003) great performance, but not a big enough fan at the time to appreciate it
7.bruce springsteen(chicago 2006) good performance, bad setlist, venue not fit for performance
8.bob dylan(chicago 2005) great performance, but the sound quality at my seats were awful
9.rolling stones(chicago 2005) bland setlist, but some strong performances to back it up
10.paul mccartney (milwaukee 2002) great performance, but not a huge beatles fan

I've got a Bruce show for this list as well.

It was The River tour, my first time (or second; I can't remember how many times I saw him on that tour) for a Bruce show. Our seats were on the risers, just off the floor. For the encore, the audience rushed up to the stage. I spent the entire encores just feet from the stage. It was extra bitchin'. :wink:

ok i only have two but there good!!!

1. i went to see bif naked..omg best day of my life!!i got front row in front of the bass player and i got to like touch his bass and i like flirted with him:lol:

2.a pink Floyd tribute band, i got tickets for my 13th birthday, it blew my mind..it was awesome..it got me into pink Floyd and made me a rocker:D

martha said:
I've got a Bruce show for this list as well.

It was The River tour, my first time (or second; I can't remember how many times I saw him on that tour) for a Bruce show. Our seats were on the risers, just off the floor. For the encore, the audience rushed up to the stage. I spent the entire encores just feet from the stage. It was extra bitchin'. :wink:

Martha, can I say again how jealous I am of the concerts you've seen? :drool:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Ok, this is a tough one...

10. Weezer, July 2002 Columbus, OH - One hell of a fun show, period.

4. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, 2002 - Waiting all day in the hot August sun on the side of a highway (thank you, Palace! :happy: ) was more than worth it when Kristina and I snagged the front row. Seeing Bruce sweat and swing on a mic stand and having Little Steven grin at you and give you the thumbs up :wink: was worth every second. Also, yelling out to Dallas (who was LS's tech for this tour) and having him call us back before we left to give us the setlist and some picks was pretty damn awesome, too!

1. U2, Elevation Tour, Chicago 2001 - It was my 3rd time seeing them and my first ever time in the heart. We got second row and it blew me away, being so close to the band I've loved since I was little. It was special to me being a post-9/11 show, and also because at the very end of the show Larry sat down on the edge of the stage and handed Lady Lemon and I his drumsticks. I'll never forget that show, as long as I live.
I'll probably look at this later and want to edit, but that's what comes to mind now.

I love that I was with you for three of your top 10 concert moments ever :hug:

I'll have to think about mine.

I can't name 10 but here are a few that stand out in my mind:

The Who 12/10/71 Long Beach, Arena - my first Who concert.

Bruce Springsteen & the ESB October 1980 LA Sports Arena - my first Bruce concert 4 hours+

Led Zepplin mid 70s LA Forum - Last night of the tour 3 encores!

U2 11/5/05 Las Vegas #2 - First time seeing UTEOTW live. A lot of different songs from the previous night.

Rolling Stones 3/6/06 LA Forum - 4th show of the ABB tour for me and they broke out several rare songs that night including Sway and Faraway Eyes.

NY Dolls mid to late 70s? Roxy (Hollywood) - scheduled to do a week of shows at the Roxy but the band got off to a late start on opening night. I mean a couple of hours late. Great show but the promoter cancelled the rest of the shows.

Ian Hunter & Mick Ronson early 80s? Roxy - did a lot of Mott the Hoople songs and solo stuff.

Kinks late 70s? Universal Ampitheater - We were in the first 5 rows.

Billy Idol July 2005 Wiltern - Play a lot of new songs and old classics.

Thanks for making me go back and pull out some great memories!

1. Jellyfish: Chance Theater. Poughkeepsie, NY 1993.

Got to stand right up front for the whole show and watch the most amazing musicians play the most amazing songs. I was in college so I was with tons of friends. Even met the band after and had the singer/drummer sign my social security card!

2. The Boo Radleys: Brownies. NYC 1997.

Found out about the show last minute. Went down to the village to find it sold out. So we decided to stand and wait. After 10 minutes the door guy took pity and said come on it. Stood right up front. Rocked! Met the band after and had beers with them in the basement. Got a tee shirt signed and gave it to my bro as a graduation present.

3. Grant Lee Buffalo. Irving Plaza, NYC 1998.

They played for 2 hours and 15 minutes and rocked the face off me.

4. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. Garden State Arts Center, NJ. 2003.

Had lawn tickets. It was raining. Which sucked. But we were enjoying it and dancing. Then a couple came up to us and said they were leaving, so we could have their seats under the pavillion.
We wound up really close.

5. The Velvet Teen. ? Brooklyn, NY. 2003.

Velvet Teen played in the basement room. It was like watching a show in someones garage. So tiny. And those kids played their hearts out.

6. Aimee Mann. Toads Place, New Haven, CT. 2004.

Chelsea and I spent the day wandering around Yale. Ate pizza. Drank beer. Got a nice spot at the show and both fell in love w/ Aimee Mann.

7. U2. Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, CT. 2001.

Went to the show with my Sister, Brother, Chelsea, and 2 of my bandmates. Met like 3 or 4 different old friends waiting for the show to start.
My Bro and I were on the floor. They played Kite/Gone and I was satisfied. My bro and I were 2 white dancing fools that nite.

8. Sylosis. Some bowling alley. Buffalo, NY. 2002.

We were doing a mini tour of upstate and did our first radio interview that day. That evening we played "Punk Rock" nite at the bowling alley. The band after us were in the middle of their set, playing SO LOUD, that the PA speakers caught fire.
They were so proud and happy about it. Twas something to see.

9. Radiohead. Irving Plaza, NYC. 1997

A day or 2 after the Tibetian Freedom Concert. RH did a surprise show. Buddy in the industry got tix, but couldn't go, so we went. Awesome show. OK hadn't been released yet, but "AirBag" and "Paranoid Android" felt like old friends. Saw Bono, Mike Stipe, Marilyn Manson, Damon Alburn, Noel Gallagher all rocking out on the balcony.

10. U2. Fulton Ferry State Park. Brooklyn, NY. 2004.

Spent the day with Mac and had a grand time. All for free. The band played great and the crowd ate it up.

11. Catherine Wheel. The Academy, NYC. 1992.

They were opening up for The Charlatans, the band we actually came to see. We smoked the largest joint in history before the show. Had never heard CW, but the 3 of us we transfixed. We literally stood completely still infront of one of the stacks for their entire set. Never even blinked an eye. We were sonically soaked.

12. Neil Young. Jones Beach, NY. 2003.

Took my Dad to this one. He's the one who got me into Neil Young after all.

Honorable Mentions:

Suede. NYC 1993.
Oasis. Danbury, CT 1995.
Verve. NYC. 1995.
The Wonder Stuff/Miles Hunt. NYC 1994/1998.
U2. Yankee Stadium. 1992.
Paul Weller. NYC/Boston. 1997/2002.
Roger Waters. NYC. 2001.
Dinosaur Jr. Danbury, CT. 1993.
Doves. NYC/Northampton, MA. 2002/2005.
David Bowie. Jones Beach. 2002.
Aimee Mann. Keene, NH. 2005.
Tool. NYC. 2002.
REM. NYC. 1995.
Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes. Mansfield, MA. 2000.

I could go on. :drool:

Hewson said:
You could change your screen name from "bored" to "wrong" :D

As for compiling my own top 10 list, it'd take some real brainstorming. We're talking 25+ years of concert going and hundreds and hundreds of shows to try an narrow to 10. I'll give it a shot when I have a bit of time.

i'd say ha, this is the only place where i have an advantge, having less than 25 years of being alive, let alone concert-going, but i know the jealousy factor will just lead me to being wrong again. can't have that. then i really will have to change my screen name.

No real order or anything. I've been to over 20 shows in my limited years now and these are just the best ones that jump out to me without really thinking. I don't have all my old ticket stubs here at university so I'm sure I could change this list a lot with proper memory jogging.

1. Coldplay 1/31/03 (very, very, very back row of 4,000 seating theatre)
2. Coldplay 9/23/05 (first person into the pit, front and center)
3. U2 10/19/05 (inside ellipse, on rail, Edge side)
4. Sigur Ros 2/27/06 (third row orchestra)
5. The White Stripes July, 2003 (stage left, on rail)
6. Crossroads Festival (Clapton, Santana, BB King, etc.)
7. The Arcade Fire 9/25/06 (ACL Festival)
8. Wilco 9/25/06 (ACL Festival)

I have only a top 2. All the other shows I've attended could be lumped together.

Pink Floyd - Dec '87. Oakland Arena (not stadium). I remember being in awe of the sound and the spectacle...so much so that that show is STILL with me almost 20 years later. I saw Depeche Mode 2 nights later, pounding on their keyboards and Gahan grabbing his crotch all night, and remember thinking how juvenile they were after seeing PF. And, I'm a DM fan.

U2 - 4/20/01 - This was the best U2 show I've ever attended. It had that magical feeling were the band and entire audience were in synch. The U2 shows I've seen before and after, though quite good, haven't been able to touch that one night.

in no particular order:

1. fiona apple/2005/house of blues, las vegas

- originally i had front row balcony seats but i decided i wanted to be a lot closer so i scored two GA's on ebay for $10.50 and stood five feet from her piano instead. i. love. fiona.

2. duran duran/2005/the joint, hard rock, las vegas

- this show was not the best show i've ever seen, but i would absolutely say it was the most fun. i was a teenage girl when this group was at their most popular and i never got to see them live so this show was just an awesome experience for me.

3. jane's addiction - 4/1989 - john anson ford theatre, hollywood

- i could never say enough about this show. it was mid-april, hollywood hills. it was an outdoor theatre, perry's dreads were blue. the stage was lit by candles, and they played most of the set acoustic. this show was near perfection as far as shows go.

4. INXS - 1988 - san diego sports arena

- i saw INXS on the kick tour. what else can i say.

5. U2 - 11/18/1987 - los angeles coliseum

- i saw three shows on the joshua tree tour but this one was the most emotional for me. the dalton brothers confused 90,000 people before the show and bono released those red balloons during bad. it was nearly twenty years ago and most of the details have left me, but the feeling of that night never will.

6. U2 - 4/15/2005 - glendale arena, phoenix

- this show was very, very special because i had a terrible experience at the opening vertigo show in san diego. when my sister-in-law who worked for the ceo of sony found out, she sent me the most incredible seats to this show, about five rows off the floor on edge's side.

7. stevie nicks - 1986 - los angeles forum

- mick fleetwood was on drums. awesome.

8. nine inch nails - 2/5/1991 - stardust ballroom, hollywood

- pretty hate machine was pretty much their only album at the time. think about it.

9. REM - 9/11/2003 - thomas and mack center, las vegas

- yelled at michael stipe outside after the show.

10. siouxsie and the banshees - 1988 - universal amphitheatre, los angeles

- my brother and i got drunk together for the first time after this show.

1. U2- Atlanta 11.18.05--- My first GA experience! First row tip of the ellipse.

2. Sigur Ros- Nashville 2.14.06--- Those guys are amazing!

I won't bother with the 10 and the order (apart from the first one), but here are some special concerts for me.

U2 - 4 December 2005, Boston
The Flagship. What more do I have to say about it. :)

U2 - 13 July 2001, Cologne
This was the first U2 concert my sister was attending. We got into the heart and also front row right in front of Adam. The show was excellent too!

U2 - 13 July 2005, Amsterdam
Four years after that concert with my sister we went again to a U2 concert together. Arrived at 6 AM at the venue, waited all day to end up at the front row of Edge's B-stage. The show was good, but really took off with All I Want Is You. That's when Bono made a small gesture which ended with my sister being onstage! :hyper:

Bruce Springsteen - 9 April 1999, Barcelona
It was my very first Bruce Springsteen concert and it was his official Reunion Tour opener (so with the whole E Street Band). I was in Spain at that time and decided to go to Barcelona. Scored a ticket the morning of the show (from a fellow Dutchman, no less!) and ended up in the second row, right in front of Clarence. I got converted that night. Whoa!

Jasper Steverlinck - 17 November 2005, Utrecht
I'd seen him three times before over the past year and he played more or less the same songs every time. The first time I thought it was OK, the second time (in Amsterdam) some magic was there, the third time it was quite weird (with the club being quite empty). But the fourth time it all fell together. The audience was up for it, he was up for it, it had that spark.

Tröckener Kecks - 30 December 2001, Leusden
I only discovered them on their farewell tour, but got to see two concerts by them in those months. This was their next-to-last concert and was in a small club in a small village. But the hardcore fans were all there and I was glad to have seen them at all.

Elvis Costello & The Imposters - 24 January 2005, Utrecht
The first time I saw him (in October 2003) he was excellent too. But that one was with just his pianist Steve Nieve. This time it was with the full band. I was just a few meters away. When he started the concert I did hear that his voice wasn't in the best shape. He apologised for it a few songs later, said he had a sore throat. He said that he could stop now and reschedule the concert, or play on for as long as he could with his throat. We -the audience- voted for the second option. Two hours later he finished (after a few encores). And what a show it was! Filled with hits, oldies and plenty of his (then new) album The Delivery Man. :up:

Urban Dance Squad - October/November 1994. Geleen
This was the first time seeing them and I wasn't prepared for what I was going to see. So energetic! And the crowd too. I was totally up front, but only on the last song before the encore could I scrape together enough courage to do a stagedive. What a feeling!

R.E.M. - 21 June 2003, Utrecht
After 14 years they finally played the Netherlands again! It was their Best Of tour opener and in a small club of 700 people. The atmosphere was a bit weird. I guess most of those present still couldn't comprehend that they were seeing R.E.M.... in a small club.

Back
Top Bottom