Bono's AOL Diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AvsGirl41

New Yorker
I don't know if any AOL users have already posted this, but Bono is sending an "exclusive diary" to AOL about the Heartland tour. Here's the first two installments--dunno where #3 is:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 1 -- December 1, 2002

Statistics statistics? I hate them - I can't even look at them as I type them.? It's World AIDS day? in Africa 6,500 men, women and children will die of AIDS TODAY and another 9,500 including 1,400 newborn babies will be infected? God Almighty?. Here in Lincoln Nebraska, Africa's seeming a lot less far away? students in the University of Nebraska are displaying squares from their AIDS quilt? and the three bus loads of AIDS activists are tonight on their way to the Heart of America tour.

Our tour includes Ashley Judd and her 230 MPH race car driving husband Dario Franchitti, and two dogs Shug and Buttermilk?.Tour de France victor, Cancer beater and not-exactly-slow-himself-cyclist Lance Armstrong?. ten outrageously gifted kids from Ghana who sing, dance and make sure we watch our language? Agnes from Uganda, first time out of Africa in to America, living proof that AIDS doesn't have to equal death?. And finally me, that most awful of inventions, a Rockstar With A Cause, Bono.

I've just heard the news that noted Nebraska punk-rocker and ukulele player Warren Buffett is joining our caravan. During the day he passes off as the chairman of Berkshire Hathaway Group. To me he is Yoda, the Jedi Master of American finance, a deeply serious man with an ear for a great melody i.e. a great idea? great melodies and great ideas have much in common?.. A certain inevitability, clarity, an instant memorability.

America is a great idea?it's an idea that came under attack on September 11, 2001?it's a nervous world, even here in Nebraska; you can feel the edge and it's not because of the cold. Could America lead a historic AIDS initiative, putting an end to the above statistics, saving 2.5 million lives in Africa a year?there's an idea (one of the many on our bus)?America showing what it's for, as well as what it's against.

Anyway, tonight we're going to make our pitch in Lincoln, Nebraska and hear what these most American of Americans say back to us. I'll let you know how we did with the cornhuskers.

Bono

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 2 -- December 2, 2002

No longer a concept, I'm on the bus out of Nebraska on the way to Iowa looking back on a great first day in Lincoln?.

Yesterday morning, the rock star ended up on a Methodist pulpit?. I wanted to bang my fist like those fire brimstone preachers I've seen on the TV but I didn't need to -- this congregation seemed to already know that the AIDS emergency is the defining moral issue of our time?. I ended up listening to them.

The notion put by politicians back east that Midwesterners are not interested in a world outside of America was already crumbling by lunch. Politicians are not afraid of rock stars and student activists -- they are used to our placards -- they're afraid of Church folk, farmers, and mothers unions?. However, when you put student activists, actors, rock stars with the mothers, farmers and church folk, the sight of all of us together is terrifying?

Americans in these nervous times are more outward looking? this is good for our campaign?. This is no time for navel gazing. The way the United States is perceived in the rest of the world is now a homeland security issue. We're not wrong to bang on about the AIDS emergency? Colin Powell said that no war on earth is more destructive than the AIDS pandemic. Our traveling scientist/physician, Eric Goosby, says winning this war is immensely doable -- but only if the political will is there.

Ashley Judd is a trip?to be that gorgeous and smart? I thought God was fair!!! Last night she made her debut as an AIDS activist in front of a very responsive Cornhusker crowd?. If she loses interest in acting she'd have no problem as a talk show host. In the darkness you can meet when you consider the scale of the AIDS problem, she is a very necessary firecracker?her conversation crackles and fizzes with an urge to make sense of any moment she's in ?she's also very funny?the fastest mouth in the Midwest is on her bright red bus, with the fastest wheels?. Her husband Dario is someone who I sense knows how to drink when he's not driving?I like this?we may need some diversions. He tells me he has to abstain in racing season?he can feel the wine in his joints when he needs to feel the fuel. He is a star.

Today in Iowa I met the editorial board of the legendary Des Moines Register? bees were buzzing in this hive of a newsroom? including a few Queen bees who responded to Agnes's story of life in Uganda for a mother of eight.

Agnes we first met a year or so ago in Kampala, as part of a troop of AIDS educators called TASO who through their testimony and songs town to town, village to village, save so many lives through their prevention program. Today she showed me the drugs, the anti-retrovirals that are keeping her alive to do her job. Only recently did she and her fellow activists gain access to these drugs. When we first met, these heroes of the hour, the firemen running up the burning building if you like, had accepted they were going to die. She is affronted by the suggestion that Africans would not be able to take pills twice a day to save their life. She is also affronted by the price on her life - 2 dollars a day. It should be one ? it should be none.

I am made sorely aware of how we need the pharmaceutical companies -- we need their scientists ? their research departments?their determination -- to reduce the cost of these lifesaving drugs. I make a note to ring Ray Gilmartin of Merck and Peter Dolan of Bristol Myers Squibb. I know they're paying attention.

University of Iowa, we're coming your way. Apparently there are more pigs than people in this state. That might work for me, I can talk hogwash. I'll end today's diary looking out of the window of our silver blue bus? it's a wide panorama a cinescope of America. This has been my education over the years; looking out the windows of buses, trains, and planes?mostly I read more than I wrote. Or talked. Good night.

Bono

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

Those were awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE post any more entries he puts up, I don't have aol.......

Thank you so much for sharing :hug:

Day # 3 I'm not on AOL but I got it somewhere *whistles*

Day 3 -- December 3, 2002

Americans do the best coffee in the world next to the Italians, but tea is a different matter? you need to boil the water, 3 minutes, even with a tea bag. Hot water from a coffee maker will not do, and is a very bad start to the day.

I normally wake up with a sore eye but insufferable optimism about what the day can accomplish and go to bed disappointed with what I've not managed to do. On the Heart of America Tour I've been watching people going to their rooms having pulled off impossible tasks logistically, strategically, spiritually. Jamie Drummond and Lucy Matthew have lived out of a plastic bag and a toothbrush for so long they think this life is normal. They were two of the architects at Jubilee 2000/Drop the Debt campaign who are now looking after DATA Europe. I began the day with our new boy/new boss David Gartner, Executive Director of DATA USA, and a room full of activists who don't mind me talking with my mouth full? activists generally look down upon us rock stars, and you have to get up in the morning earlier than God for them to be impressed? this is another reason why I'm grumpy, I'm late.

Next stop, I-80, a truck stop, bigger than my country, the biggest in the world I'm told? never eat anything bigger than your head is good advice for truck stops. I tried; it was called a Dairy Queen, bought by the ladies who let you lunch, and some truck driving Teamsters -- the reason I'm here. These people have all the qualities I love about the Midwest -- no high walls, no barbed wire, minds as wide open as the landscape?. and hearts, as it turns out, for their fellow drivers in South Africa, half of whom are HIV positive. Let me say that again - 50% of truck drivers in Africa are going to die, unless they get access to the antiretroviral drugs we take for granted in Europe and America. These men are ready to do what it takes to reach out to the comrades they have never met. Inspiring.

On to the Davenport's Central High School to talk about AIDS and education... I had a great time in school - that's where our band was started? I was 16, Adam was 16, Edge was 15, and Larry, the baby in charge, 14. U2 was a high school band, so is 2 Deep. His name was Jeremy and he sang like Craig David, a song he'd written called Get Lost. Presuming he wasn't referring to us, I asked the students if anyone had a definition of Globalization? Coletta put her hand up and said it referred to the world being more interconnected, where people help each other more, and give more aid to those who need it. If only? I wish it were Coletta's world. She understood that with the benefits of gobalization come responsibilities?
I drew a rude picture of Ashley on the whiteboard, plus some algebra. A=Ashley, B= Bono, C =Class H, D=Davenport, E=Emergency, F=Factoid: You are more powerful than you think. As we left, students were jumping out of windows, I was shouting up to them "rock rock rock 'n' roll high school". The Principal laughed nervously. Thank you again Joey Ramone.

In Dubuque, some serious and upstanding members of the community gathered to listen - their eyes didn't glaze over, in fact they flashed at the opportunity to do something for their country, something for Africa. They spotted the connection. I did a press conference by a Christmas Tree - a shock to me I thought it was still August?. I'm told there's snow on the ground in Chicago. I'd love Chicago even if it were covered in cowpats.
On my way to the great canyons of glass and steel that make up Chicago's skyline, we stop at Willow Creek Church. Reverend Hybels and his wife Lynne sit me down and lift me up at the same time. I can't explain it exactly. I didn't have to explain to them that I wasn't coming calling with a cause; we all have plenty of them. 6,500 people in Africa died today of AIDS. This is an emergency.

Last edited:
where'd you find it daisy?

I seriously start drooling when I read these - it is just freakin cool actually reading his personal thoughts.....

Chicago and cowpats :laugh:

And I can't believe he remembered the kids names - wow :ohmy:

Re: where'd you find it daisy?

bonosloveslave said:
And I can't believe he remembered the kids names - wow :ohmy:

No kidding! I'd be honored if he remembered my name!

Have I mentioned how insanely lucky those Davenport students are?

These journal entries are neat! I like reading these-glad he's sharing them.

"it was called a Dairy Queen"

Okay, maybe it's just me, but I find his noticing things that we have here that he may not have in his town and all that, cute. :D.

Angela

Re: where'd you find it daisy?

bonosloveslave said:
I seriously start drooling when I read these - it is just freakin cool actually reading his personal thoughts.....

Isn't this amazing? I love these things........:drool: :drool: I never thought I'd be saying "thank you AOL":laugh:

Thank you!!! I was looking all over for day 1 of the diary, and just found it here! I love Bono's diary, I love how he writes. I love what he is doing to help this crisis. Major Bono fuzzies right now!
:heart::bono::hug:

Well, no one else has posted Day #4. A friend of mine who's on AOL (I'm not) sent it to me. Without further ado, here's Day #4 of Bono's diary.

Chaos in Chicago, the snow is thick on the ground and we seem to be moving faster than ever....there's always the thought we'll spin off....it's a high wire act, trying to convince people who have problems of their own to set them aside for the crisis of others. Crisis is the wrong word. Emergency. The AIDS pandemic is setting fire to the continent of Africa. Razing it. Right before our very eyes. We are giving less and less the richer we get is the truth. The actual facts when you clear away the propaganda....

Why? Three words keep coming up:...corruption, corruption, corruption--especially at Editorial Board meetings. Maybe one thing that binds the Tribune and the Sun-Times?

Americans have lost faith it seems in world aid. Aid aid, now there's an idea. The only problem is that people are half right. What's the point of giving money away if it ends up in a Swiss bank account or a fleet of Rolls Royce's. But if done right--and it can and often is done right--it sends children to school, trains teachers, builds roads, buys medicines.

When they find out the strict conditions now in place--transparency, good governance, measurable results--I have confidence America will turn around the situation where they are 22nd in the list of 22 richest countries in terms of aid given as a percentage of national income. Americans don't like being last in anything. Their personal donations are as generous as Europeans. I'm sure it's the value for money argument. I want bang for the buck too.

The Global Health Fund is what we're looking for. 96% of the cash goes direct to funding programmes in countries hit by AIDS, with only 4 per cent tied up in overheads. That's efficiency. Auditors in each country--often international firms like KPMG--monitor the 96 per cent to make sure it is fighting AIDS not lining pockets.

I was in Uganda earlier this year (it wasn't called the Heart of Africa Tour, but it could have been), and went to visit some wells just outside Kampala--simple concrete blocks with iron pipes spewing out clean water--maintained by the people whose childrens' lives they save. The wells had been built because money freed up by the cancellation of old debt. people said this money would be misspent; one Congressman said it would go down a rathole....in fact, it went down a water hole.

Anyway, back to Illinois. Chris Tucker is in the House! He turned up at 2 AM this morning ready to work. I think he's spent more time in Africa this year than America. We were in Ethiopia together in May--a memorable visit to a predominantly female Muslim high-school in Addis Ababa. He went back with Colin Powell, back with Bill Clinton, back for more.

God was in the room at the Apostolic Church on the South Side of Chicago. So was Senator Durbin a righteous and brainy Democrat. It's so important that we keep our work bi-partisan; we had spent the night before in the hospitality of Congressman Jim Leach and his wife Deba. These are great people.

Last night we preached the Gospel (literally) at Wheaton College where they grow preachers like Billy Graham (well, there's no one like Billy Graham). Anyway, I reminded them they had also produced Wes Craven...first they scare you then they tell you where to turn.

Not just because they laughed at my joke, I really loved this crowd. These are the loudest Christians in the world.....normally I'm not comfortable with Church people, they're pious, they're judgmental. These young students gave me hope.

I quoted C.S. Lewis (they have all his letters in the library here): "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date". And his other one: "the stage is but a platform show" ....that was my other joke. I knew they would think I was smaller in real life, I told them I'm also much better looking.

Dr. Jim Yong Kim, an expert in AIDS treatment in poor countries from Harvard School of Public Health, was on the platform. The bastard robbed most of my best lines. We also basked in his academic professionalism.....he had laptops, slides, and screens, graphs a ll the things we knew we'd never be able to work.

He told everyone, actually, he showed everyone, that getting medicines to even the poorest people in the furthest places can be possible. He flashed before and after photos (high tech ones). Antiretroviral drugs, wow, talk about power in a pill.

He ended by appealing to the students in the room to view the AIDS emegency--the worst epidemic in the last 600 years with numbers rising exponentially--as the next phase in the civil rights movement. They listened.

I am taking to bed feeling sad, Ashley, who truly has the Heart of America, has to leave us after our event in Indianapolis on Thursday. But it's going to be fun to go in Indianapolis with an Indy driver, Dario her husband. I know we're going to see them both again.

verte76 said:
I knew they would think I was smaller in real life, I told them I'm also much better looking.

Dr. Jim Yong Kim, an expert in AIDS treatment in poor countries from Harvard School of Public Health, was on the platform. The bastard robbed most of my best lines.

:lmao:

Loveth him!!!!!!!! :heart:

STILL nothing! Why do I suspect AOL lost it! :scream: "Bono, you wouldn't happen to have a back-up copy?"

Can't beta test 8.0, can't post Day 5...what are AOL employees doing??

This is awesome.....I loved reading his thoughts...and yes..agreed on Bono being quite the writer....he's a great speaker too....and singer....and songwriter....hmmmmm...I wonder what else he's good at?!:mac: :macdevil:
(my mind is in the gutter...as usual:evil: )
Where's the rest of the entries?!!!
I wanna see them NOW!!:hyper: :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom