(12-29-2003) Scholar Finds Liturgy of Life in Music of U2 -- The Grand Rapids Press *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Scholar Finds 'Liturgy of Life' in Music of U2

By Matt Vandebunte
The Grand Rapids Press

Steven Garber has made a vocation out of training Christian scholars to find what they are looking for, to discover what he calls a "liturgy of life."

And what older generations gleaned from the Bible's book of Psalms, Garber believes modern students can hear in the music of one the biggest rock bands in the world.

To this well-respected mentor of Christian academia, thoughtful listening to the "sacramental" lyrics of U2 can help people see the world the way God does.

"It has a Psalm-like quality to it, this man who looks at the world and laments things not being the way they're supposed to be," Garber said of "When I Look at the World," a song off the most recent U2 album. "If you have ears to hear, you can hear something (from God)."

Garber, who is visiting Calvin College as a dean of the Chapel Fellow, focused on "When I Look at the World" last year when leading a campus chapel service. Those remarks are part of a book released this month by Crowley Publications.

"Get Up Off Your Knees" is a collection of more than 30 sermons contributed by two dozen clergy and laypeople from England, Northern Ireland, Canada and the United States. It is not a biography of U2, but homilies based on issues raised in the band's music, such as forgiveness and grace, mortality and social justice.

Every U2 album from "Boy" to "All That You Can't Leave Behind" is referenced. The most sermonized song is "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," from the 1987 "The Joshua Tree" album.

Contributors range from Roman Catholic to Anglican to Christian Reformed to independent evangelical. Their common ground is a belief that the music of U2 offers insights into God, and that it can be a powerful tool in shaping culture.

"(U2 takes) the heart of biblical faith and finds ways to translate that into language that the whole world finds intriguing," Garber said.

That the Irish band for 20 years has been a worldwide attraction for "the most secular-hearted and the most faith-driven people" is a testament to its far-ranging reach, he said.

Garber said he is drawn to U2 because the band has a deep commitment to viewing the world through a "faith-shaped lens." That philosophy is seen clearly in "When I Look at the World." It reads:

When you look at the world, what is it that you see? People find all kinds of things that bring them to their knees.

When there's all kinds of chaos, and everyone is walking lame, you don't even blink now, do you, or even look away.

So I try to be like you, try to feel it like you do, but without you it's no use. I can't see what you see when I look at the world.

Garber said the song summarizes the point of a Christian education, to "look at the world and see it how God does" -- to stand up from the crippling brokenness of a sinful world and work to make it better. As his sermon in "Get Up Off Your Knees" concludes:

"God of heaven and earth, you who see the sparrows that fall and the diseases that destroy, who see the horrible complexity of our very broken world ... and still choose to love it, and us, give us eyes to see what you see, that we might find ways to creatively and courageously serve you with gladness and singleness of heart."

A former scholar-in-residence at the Coalition for Christian Colleges and Universities, Garber worked for years in Washington and met U2's lead singer Bono, who has been seeking support in battling the AIDS crisis in Africa. This fall, Garber and Calvin President Gaylen Byker were among a group of Christian leaders to meet with Bono about that issue.

Byker said the music of U2 and the humanitarian mission of its chief musician can make Calvin students more aware of the common goodness in creation.

"There are various sentiments about the nature of man and sin and redemption that (U2) deals with and that resonates with students," he said.

Wow, that article really made me appreciate "When I Look At the World" alot more.

:up: to U2, for having continual faith in themselves to make the greatest music the world has ever heard!

:drunk:

I just got that book - now need some time to read it. Am really looking forward to it, too. I've never heard a U2-based sermon, but have heard U2 music in a church I attended for a while.

I would be very interested to hear a U2-based sermon. It is kinda funny though, sermons and books are written and it is widely known to us that U2 has a lot of religious references and roots but for some reason (at least with the people I come in contact with) the connection is never made from U2 to religion. It boggles my mind. :eyebrow:

I don't know about you, but I wasn't hit with the U2 spirit until I saw them live. I have been listening to U2 since the mid 80's, but i never got it. To me it was only that the music was good. I was never really good at lyrics. Now, I had never seen U2 live except until November 2001. That night I was totally blown away more than by just the words, it was something else. There was a spirit in the arena that I cannot explain. Since that night I have been an obsessed U2 fan. I'm not the lost casual fan that I once was. Today I am more aware spiritually than I was before that concert, and that I am helping more charity wise. I guess you could say that it gave me a boost.

:wink: U2's music has always inspired me by the joyful spirit in their music, and the fact that they make music They like!! On another note, maybe there is no connection to u2 and religion because their music isn't religious-it's always been for All people, and what All people can relate to!:wink:

heh...weird. figures there's a story about u2 in my hometown paper when i'm in GERMANY. here's hoping my dad caught it and cut it out.

btw, i go to calvin college. heh. so does livluvandbootlegmusic and ultraviolet light.

odd feeling to see grand rapids press here...lmao.

Christianity in U2

Ok, I have said for years that U2 is a "closet christian band". Whether you are a "religious" person or not....its true for us christians. Bono uses Psalms and prayers to open songs (i have seen this live) and the written word of songs contain biblical and spiritual topics and fact. So for us (christians) we knew all along. But for those who aren't it's cool too, because they arent' preachy and thier message (also a christian one) is universal to all humans regardless of their "spirituality". Ultimately makeing U2 the most positive force for promotion of God and his word. It's not those who push it down your throats who make the difference. Its those who make a difference who open others eyes to truth.
Peace love and Tacos from Texas.

Back
Top Bottom