(12-23-2003) Chernobyl children to spend Christmas in Ireland - Agence France-Press *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regina O'Numb

War Child
Chernobyl children to spend Christmas in Ireland

DUBLIN (AFP) Dec 22, 2003 -
Some 100 Belarussian children from areas affected by the Chernobyl nuclear disaster are arriving in Ireland on Monday to spend Christmas with families throughout the country, a spokesman for the Chernobyl Children's Project (CCP) said.
The children, who are aged from seven to 17, will spend three weeks in Ireland to enjoy a break with families and give their immune systems a rest from the radiation at home, said CCP spokesman Emmet Coffey.

"Families scattered through 16 of the country's 26 counties will be taking them in. We bring children over during the summer for anything for a month to three months and for a shorter period at Christmas.

"So far we have brought over 10,000 children for a holiday. Most are from the heart of the Chernobyl-stricken areas and a lot of them are from orphanages."

The charity has delivered 30 million euros worth of humanitarian aid to the area and plans another major convoy across Europe with aid next April.

"That will be our 23rd convoy. We bring over ambulances, hospital equipment and medicines. We also bring everything from children's bicycles to clothes to food and building materials."

Founded by Adi Roche, a 1997 Irish presidential candidate, the charity's patron is Ali Hewson, wife of U2 singer Bono.

The accident at the Chernobyl plant in the Ukraine on 26 April 1986 was the world's worst nuclear power disaster.

Explosions blew off the reactor roof and a radioactive plume contaminated a wide area.

All rights reserved. Copyright 2003 Agence France-Presse.

http://www.spacewar.com/2003/031222161911.i0s76toj.html

Yeah, what a nice thing to do. I was reading about Chernobyl, it was worse than I thought. They still haven't destroyed the plant, I hope it doesn't erupt again.

Back
Top Bottom