(12-23-2002) Joe Strummer - Idol to U2 and writing partner of Bono - dies - Ananova

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.ananova.com/

Clash's Joe Strummer dies

Joe Strummer of The Clash has died at the age of 50.

The star - who was the band's guitarist, singer and songwriter alongside Mick Jones - died on Sunday.

The cause of death has yet to be confirmed but his website reports he had a heart attack.

Strummer, whose real name was John Mellor, is thought to have died at home. He was married with children and lived in Somerset.

Police said his death was not believed to be suspicious and a post-mortem examination will take place on Tuesday.

He had been touring with his most recent band The Mescaleros until last month, rounding off a tour in Liverpool.

U2 frontman Bono said: "The Clash was the greatest rock band. They wrote the rule book for U2.

"Though I was always too much of a fan to get to know him well, we were due to meet in January to finish our Mandela song with Dave Stewart."

The Clash were known for injecting left wing politics into punk and their album London Calling was named the best album of the Eighties by Rolling Stone magazine - despite being released in 1979.

Strummer's death came just three months before the Clash were due to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He had hinted that the band would reform for the night and play together for the first time in 20 years to perform the band's first single, White Riot, at the induction ceremony.

What horrible news! I was a big fan of the Clash. They were an important band to me, I think they made a huge impact on music and alot of people's lives. He was one of U2's best friends and I'm sure they're really feeling the loss. Ouch.:sad: :sad:

Back
Top Bottom