(12-16-2003) Lawmaker Targets Profanity on Airwaves -- AP *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Lawmaker Targets Profanity on Airwaves

By ERICA WERNER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - A California lawmaker, upset that rock star Bono used vulgarity on live TV and regulators have done nothing about it, wants to ban certain swear words from the airwaves.

Republican Rep. Doug Ose said he was amazed when the Federal Communications Commission refused to take action against television stations that showed the U2 frontman using an expletive at the Golden Globe Awards last January.

The FCC's enforcement bureau said in October that Bono's comment was an adjective or expletive that did not meet its definition of indecency or obscenity because it did not describe a sexual function.

"C'mon, give me a break," said Ose. "I don't think there's a parent in the country who wants to hear this stuff come out of their TV."

He introduced a bill last week that would punish television and radio broadcasters if they aired any of eight specific words and phrases. The language of the bill, the Clean Airwaves Act, is far saltier than Bono's comment.

The five FCC commissioners, responding to an appeal by the Parents Television Council, a Los Angeles-based watchdog group, are reviewing the October decision regarding Bono's comment.
___

On the Net:

Ose's bill, H.R. 3687, at http://thomas.loc.gov/

i'm hurt by your typcasting of all republicans as idiots :sad:

i agree with him that certain words shouldn't be said durring what is considered "family hour" on basic cable stations... abc, nbc, fox and such. bono's comments weren't pre-meditated, unlike his "fuck up the mainstream" comments at the grammys way back yonder, so you can't really blame him. but even if it was pre-meditated, the solution isn't to fine people... put the damn show on a 5 second delay. radio stations do it... hell, pro wrestling does it... so why can't an awards show do it? then, if "salty" language is uttered on an awards show and it gets out over the air without a beep, THEN you can fine the network, and the network can then inturn fire their dump guy.

i do think, however, that the reaction around here would've been a bit different if, say, eminem had said "fuck" on the airwaves... even by accident. eh... this is a U2 message board... any negative views regarding bono's language or hair is strictly forbidden.:wink:

Last edited:
martha said:
Where's George Carlin when you need him?

LOL, really!

"I don't think there's a parent in the country who wants to hear this stuff come out of their TV."

Hahaha, he hasn't met my parents yet. :p.

I agree with the others. Do people like this guy have lives? Can we please put this issue to rest now? Pretty please with sugar on top?

Headache-actually, I personally would say the same thing if Eminem swore on T.V. I don't care if it's Bono who swears, or Eminem, or even President Bush-it's words, and they'll only offend me if I let them. And if they do offend me, I will merely change the channel. Simple as that.

Or, I might express my dissent, but I will not stop them from saying whatever they want to say. I'd hate it if anyone tried to tell me what I could and couldn't say, so I'm not going to do that to anyone else.

Angela

Give me a break! Let's move on to greener pastures. We all know Bono didn't mean to say it. He was just so excited that it just came out. If you notice, most of the time he acts pretty good around anything televised. And no, people on the west cost didn't even hear it. But I sure did! After he said it, I busted out laughing and then I was thinking oooooohhhhh, he's going to get in trouble for that. And then I laughed some more thinking how he got away with it. I really thought there was a delay, but nope, I guess not! That is the Golden Globes' fault. They should have known that the Irish don't hold back very easily.

This all has to do with the US, even in Canada the Osbournes are aired uncensored. Same with the Sopranos. This is an issue only in the US and I feel embarrassed for you.

the sopranos are on hbo and the osbournes are on mtv... mtv could air curses on the air if they want, they aren't basic cable... they chose not to.

and i'm sure a parent sitting around with their toddler who repeats everything he/she hears doesn't want fuck this and fuck that comming out of the television.

again i don't blame bono... it was a spontaneous thing, he shouldn't be fined. but i'm sure there's some sort of delay... no one puts out truely live television. even sporting events are on a 2 second delay. if you want to fine the network for allowing it to go across the airwaves, i have no problem with it.

and i still think that... in general... the reaction, not just here but also with the FCC, would've been different if it had been eminem or 50 cent or even brittney spears who had uttered the F-bomb... but that's just me :shrug: bono's practicly a saint, for pete's sake... he couldn't possiably have done it on purpose :shifty:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the sopranos are on hbo and the osbournes are on mtv... mtv could air curses on the air if they want, they aren't basic cable... they chose not to.

Is the US your right, in Canada they air on major networks. MTV haven't 'chosen' anything, their hands are tied. If a 10 second warning at the start of the show and after each break about the content doesn't give a parent enough warning then maybe your not mature enough to watch public tv and you should stick to the cartoon section of your local blockbuster.
I'm watching the US turn into a society that feels they have to protect all the Homer Simpsons in their population from hurting themselves.

jd_zoo said:
I'm watching the US turn into a society that feels they have to protect all the Homer Simpsons in their population from hurting themselves.

Agreed. It irritates me to no end to hear these parent groups and these senators and other people sit there and think that they can control what I should and shouldn't be hearing on the T.V.

What in the world do people think remote controls were invented for?

And now my dad told me today about how a couple of senators have gotten into this, and hope to get something passed where eight "offensive" words can be banned from the airwaves. :rolleyes:.

First off, you just know it's for re-election purposes that those senators are doing this.

Second, when in the world are people going to learn that banning something doesn't solve the problem?

Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
and i'm sure a parent sitting around with their toddler who repeats everything he/she hears doesn't want fuck this and fuck that comming out of the television.

First off, if they have a toddler in the room with them, chances are they'll probably be watching kiddie shows instead of shows with swear words in them (besides, by the time a lot of the more adult shows are on, aren't most toddlers in bed by then anyway?).

Second, if that isn't the case and the parents hear someone start cussing up a storm on a show, again, they can just change the channel and make sure their child knows not to repeat those words.

Third, the kid could just as easily pick up bad words from their own parents when they say them, or at the grocery store, or in a restaurant, and so on and so forth. You can't completely avoid swear words-the kid will hear them sooner or later in any place, and all you can do as a parent is make sure that they know those words shouldn't be repeated.

Besides, I'd like to know, out of all those people who are so offended by this, which one of them hasn't swore at some point and time in their lives. To get all offended over something that they themselves have done is a bit hypocritical, I think.

Angela

????!!!!

I don't think it was the best thing to say...but I think that there's too much protectionism going on. :|

Last edited:
Headache & Allegra:up:

There is something to be said for decency, civility, good manners etc.

Yes, if it were someone more tainted, I'd feel differently. . . Bono:drool:

We're all tainted.:huh:

Last edited:
The language of the bill makes me laugh. I wish I were still working in the House and could quote that in letters to constituents. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom